Help!!!

Options
I asked google how to lose eight pounds a month.
It gave me the equations and what not.
It said in order to do that I'd have to eat 1123 but that they don't recommend under 1200. If I work-out can I eat more? Or do I need to work-out and just follow the 1200 calorie guide?

Replies

• toyab1987
    Options
    if u work out you can eat more because ur burning the calories you ate
  • nettieluvstzu
    nettieluvstzu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Think of your calorie budget of 1200 as a bank... what you eat takes the number down and when your workout, you are earning your points back. That's how I have to think about it to make sense to me. So essentially its a calorie bank :) Hope this makes sense and helps

xoxo
  • YLo0805
    Options
    how did google give you an equation? even if you work out i would still eat what is recommended and try not to go over. :-)
  • sueberloo
    Options
    yeah pretty much what's been said, just try and stick or just under 1200 per day (that's what I've done) and the more exercise you do the better. yeah you can eat more but you will lose more weight and tone up if you just stick to the 1200. I only joined last monday and I lost 3lb last week.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's a bit too low. What MFP calculated your daily calories should be?
    You should eat back the calories you burn through exercise.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

check that. 8lbs/month for the loss that you're looking for is a bit extreme.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    IT DEPENDS!!!
    What has the calculator said is your BMR Your base metabolic rate is the key to understanding how many calories your body needs to survive daily WITHOUT exercise.

If you eat AT LEAST those calories then eat back your exercise calories you are at a NET. That means you shouldn't lose weight. So, then you take the BMR and reduce x number of calories per day based on a calorie deficit for the lbs that you want to lose weekly. That should give you the base caloric intake...

OR.. JUST USE MFP because it does it all for you.
  • johnnygoodlife
    Options
    the more calories you burn the more you can eat.lets say you run on a treadmill for a hour you should burn 300 calories .which means you can eat up to 300 more calories .but if you dont eat more then you will be losing weight faster..stick with eating lots of greens , drink lots of water and for protein stick with fish and chicken breast.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    OR.. JUST USE MFP because it does it all for you.

as long as people use it correctly with realistic goals, yes. Since January, so many people have joined the site thinking they need to lose 30lbs and want to do more than 2lbs a week to get there. They set their information to match those goals, MFP gives them 1200 calories, and they still don't those calories.

The thread I recommended shows a somewhat healthier alternative. Eating above your BMR but at a percentage less than your TDEE. It's worth the read.