Frying food?!

Options
if I were to fry some French fries in canola oil how many calories would you guys say to add?! I know it's unhealthy but gotta have cheat days sometimes (: with lots of gym later!

Replies

• Kassi_Price
    Kassi_Price Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I could really use help :)
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to just add it to your food diary?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just bake some cut up potatoes and add seasoning.. healthier option
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I would probably be easiest to use an estimate based on fast food french fries. There's probably not much difference. Other wise

Measure the oil you put in the pan
    Fry
    measure the oil left in the pan

calculate calories based on the oil used and add it to the calories for whatever you fried.
  • Kassi_Price
    Options
    I wouldn't know how much to add. I have a fryer so I don't just measure it out.
  • Kassi_Price
    Options
    I would probably be easiest to use an estimate based on fast food french fries. There's probably not much difference. Other wise

Measure the oil you put in the pan
    Fry
    measure the oil left in the pan

calculate calories based on the oil used and add it to the calories for whatever you fried.

Thank you. That's a good idea to just base it off mcdonalds or something :)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I second the fast food french fries. What I tend to do is find the closest thing similar (even if it is the higher calorie option) and go with that. Then, you aren't underestimating.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    sometimes i cut up potatoes and use that Pam butter or olive oil spray. i add spices to the potatoes too like italian seasoning and pepper . if i actually fry something i use coconut oil because its healthy for you
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use our deep fryer fairly often. I just find like for like on the database and use that. For example, if I'm making fried chicken, I've found KFC's original is most similar to my recipe so I use that.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I fry things, I know this is going to be wrong, but I add the oil I fry in to my calories. i know that you don't eat all of it, but I usually only fry in a tsp or so of oil. I feel it's playing it safe to add the calories. If your deep frying I'd say at least a tsp per serving.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Or just bake them. :) Baked fries are yummy too!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could measure the oil after frying to see how much less there is, minus a little that would drain off once the fries are taken out.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You could weight the fryer before and after?

Otherwise, pick an option in the database. When I deep ry fries I use the generic entry in the database.