Stop With the Muscle Weighs More Than Fat Myth...

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I think what people are trying to put across is that when you visually look at weight loss you can see the difference but the scale may not see it. Being able to put it into simple (yet untrue) words makes it easier to hear, that's why I think I often see people say that muscle weighs more.

1lb of fat is 1lb of muscle, no denying that.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's as dumb as the myth of eating back your exercise calories or saying starvation diets don't work
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You've been on here all of 4 months and *you* are sick of it already?

Word.
  • amili045
    Options
    I think you may miss the real point you are right a 1 lb is 1 lb.... the point though is that a cell of fat does weigh more then a cell of fat. People are just interpreting this wrong. However, by biology you could weigh 170 lbs and look amaziiiing because you are musclular and slim and then have a nother person same heigh weigh 170 but look bigger in a less attractive way....
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Do you really think that anyone who says "muscle weighs more than fat" is trying to convince you that 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat? It is a GIVEN that they are speaking in terms of volume.

this
  • amili045
    Options
    Do you really think that anyone who says "muscle weighs more than fat" is trying to convince you that 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat? It is a GIVEN that they are speaking in terms of volume.

word
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    dead-horse.gif
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you're the 1 millionth poster of this pointless topic! How do you feel?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This.
  • amili045
    Options
    Also, I think people may mean replacing fat with muscle. you never can lose fat cells once youhave them but you can decrease their size and build up your muscles. It really doesn't matter if people make a mistake with their wording... in the end it really makes no difference haha
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you're the 1 millionth poster of this pointless topic! How do you feel?

Are you sick of hearing about it, too?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I used a balance beam scale and put one pound of fat one one side and one pound of muscle on the other
    To finally put this myth to rest

I WAS SHOCKED to find the muscle actually weighed more
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's easy to see where the confusion comes from.

If you take a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, and set them in a bath tub, the pound of fat will float and the pound of muscle will sink. So, obviously, the pound of muscle is heavier.

And it proves that fat people are WITCHES!!! BURN!!!!

Witches_zps2ce1d3cd.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Are you sick of hearing about it, too?

That is an understatement if I've ever seen one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat, but 1 pound of fat is larger and more noticiable than 1 pound of muscle. Muscle is a lot more compact and helps burn calories, while fat doesn't.

It's not a myth that 1 square inch of fat doesn't weighs less than 1 square inch of muscle
    As long as thisch isch the thread where we try to out-pedant-ify each other, one schquare inch of muschle would not have a third dimenschion **fixes glasses** and would thusch have a volume of zhero, and thusch wouldn't weigh anything! he he he he **snort snort knee slap**
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the logic. It means I am as light as a feather - after all a pound of me weighs the same as a pound of feathers...
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    So, I am soooo glad that I'm not the only one prone to geek rage.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's easy to see where the confusion comes from.

If you take a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, and set them in a bath tub, the pound of fat will float and the pound of muscle will sink. So, obviously, the pound of muscle is heavier.
    So...fat is made from a duck.
    and a duck floats the same as wood, so a duck must be made of wood.
    And if fat floats it too must be mad eof wood....and therefore can be burned! Burn the fat!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Can we talk about something new and fresh like cardio vs weight training or thigh gaps?
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You've been on here all of 4 months and *you* are sick of it already?

Word.

And people wonder why those who have been here for a while are seen as elitist.