Early Morning Workout??

Options
Is there a real benefit to early AM workouts before you eat and start your day? I read that it jump starts your metabolism but you can not always rely on google.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    eh, I feel better during the day if I work out in the morning. Try it for a week and just see if you feel like you have more energy through the rest of the day.

If, conversely, I work out after work... I have the same energy and just find it harder to get to sleep.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I never workout on an empty stomach. I do P90X and there is no way I'd make it though without proper fuel.

What's important is that you workout. Whenever you can fit it into your day. Your metabolism doesn't care.
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a little before working out, a banana or packet of oatmeal. Afterwards I go to work and have a couple hundred more calories, usually something with protein. On days I work out in the morning I have more focus during the day and sleep better the following night.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I typically am not hungry for a while after I workout so it kinda helps me control my hunger throughout the day if I workout in the morning. Plus. I usually have the desire to eat healthier after I workout. Also, its nice to only have to take one shower that day (since I typically have to shower in the AM to wake myself up). I personally think morning workouts are great to get you up and ready to go for the day! :)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me it's more of a necessity, I get up at 6am and do my Jillian Michaels DVD before my kids wake up... I do seem to bounce through the day.
    I also have a treadmill and try to run on it most days usually between 6 and 7pm but if I do it any later than this then I have trouble getting to sleep.
    As previous people have said, give it a try, see what works with your potential schedule and any exercise any time of the day is better than none...
    Good Luck
    Jules xx
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Is there a real benefit to early AM workouts before you eat and start your day? I read that it jump starts your metabolism but you can not always rely on google.

No
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you cant jump start your metabolism.

only thing that may benefit you by doing your work out early is if it makes it more likely that you will actually DO it, and nt make excuses later in the day.

I like my night workouts...so it's not a problem for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not really. You can make the arguement that there is a VERY SLIGHT benefit to working out fasted, but you'll get far better results by giving more effort at any time of day than you will half-assing it in the morning.

If the morning works for you, then go for it. If not, then don't force it. Let your energy levels and performance dictate when you workout... not what you read in some BS article.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like to workout around mid morning..or I WILL make excuses....
  • FitChimi
    Options
    It gives me more energy during the day- which was a surprise.
    It makes me feel good about myself and better plan what calories I will eat during the day.
    I used to make excuses after work or have other evening obligations that got in the way of my workout time. Working out in the morning has left me with no excuses.
    I don't know if it helps burn calories faster or if there are any other benefits.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have to get up earlier in order to workout before work. I don't know that I have any more energy during the day, but I do know that after work all I want to do is go home and be done for the day. Work out at whatever time fits best in your schedule and when you'll come up with the least amount of excuses not to do it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Psychologically I do a lot better throughout the day if I don't have a workout hanging over my head still to accomplish. As for whether or not I eat beforehand, I typically only eat if I'm going for a really long run. This morning was just a 3 mile run, so I ddn't eat before I left.
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I get up at 4 to workout in the morning before having to get kids ready. I don't eat before I do this. I do find it gives me more energy and if I didn't work out in the morning I don't think I could make myself do it at night. It also helps curb my appetite and I typically have oatmeal and my coffee when i get to work
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing out of bed (4am on workdays). It is the only guarantee that it will get done.
    Another benefit is knowing what my calorie "budget" is for the day before I start eating...makes staying within macros much easier.
    My first calorie intake of the day is about 3 hours later when I go for my frappachino after I get to work.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'd say you should do whatever works for you.

I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and have no problems. On the weekend when I sleep in a bit, I find I need to eat a little something before I go to the gym - or else I feel tired and my workout suffers. But during the week when I'm at the gym a little after 7, I'm fine.

As others have said, I get my workout done before I have time to come up with excuses, and I enjoy the extra energy all day long.
  • xojessieannexo
    xojessieannexo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I did workout in the morning I felt like I got through the day better and controlled what I ate. It gave me more energy also. Its harder for me to go to the gym in the morning during the winter time so I usually try and work out at home in the morning.. Some really good tips is to fall asleep in the clothes you work out in..! Leave a bottle of water by your bed :) So you have no excuse but to get up and go.. ! XO