Soda Lovers

Options
When I first started getting healthier, one of the first things to go was the soda. I would start my day with a 20 oz Mountain Dew and then in the evening I would have a Pepsi (or 2 or 3). Switching to diet soda was never an option for me because I don’t like the artificial sweeteners. Now I have green tea with honey in the morning and in the afternoon and during the day I drink water. Sometimes I drink seltzer water because I love the carbonation. As a treat, sometimes I add frozen fruit or a bit of juice (cranberry, orange, etc.). I would like to hear from others who love soda and have either given it up, plan to give it up or have cut back. How hard has it been and what have you used as replacements?

Replies

• MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up completely. Still have my one Dt Dew in the morning to get me going. But mostly I'm a green tea drinker now. I love it! And it gives me SO much energy and its natural. I love it!
  • paulmdepoy
    Options
    I mix a little bit of mashed fresh fruit or some amino acid powder into carbonated water to make my own "Healthy" soda. Just like you I love the carbonation and have to have it!
  • specandshot
    specandshot Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pepsi or Coke with lemon would basically be my only drink all day for years. Now that I've been trying to lose weight I've given soda up but will have one only out to dinner on a special occasion, like a treat. I've replaced my soda obsession with a water w/ lemon obsession. I will also have a few beers on the weekend (Budd Select 55) but that's it for drinks.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I cut them out completely in the beginning, which was really hard, but they weren't in the house which made it easier. :)
    I drink a lot of tea, water and juice now. :)
    I went out the other night and had some soda, but I didn't feel the need to have more than one glass. :)
  • changingforthegood
    Options
    I use to drink dr. pepper, and coke pretty much all day long.. Now what i do, is if i know i have lost atleast 2lbs for the week, i may treat myself to ONE, (Can only) of Cherry Coke Zero.. Thats my favorite
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking seltzer water until it became almost like another soft drink addiction. Now I am switching out seltzer with water, and Crystal light. I have never like diet soda's either. I can tolerate a Sprite 0 once in a while.
  • kzertuche
    kzertuche Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up, and haven't switched to diet, mainly because I hate the artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc. I have cut back a lot, but only drink the all natural sodas, like Sierra Mist and mix seltzer water with cranberry juice. Instead of having 2 or 3 a day, I have 2 or 3 a week, so that's a big change. I haven't given up the beer. Being married to a musician we spend a lot of time in bars so it is difficult to eliminate that :)
  • funnygurl826
    Options
    I was addicted to soda. After a while of having diabetes and still drinking them like water, I started having major problems, and heart palputations. I have cut out soda and all caffeine, except the occasional chocolate(still working on that one). Feel better but have a long way to go. I feel this is my last chance to really do this for myself and my family!!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda or the 0 calorie sodas (Pepsi Max is awesome).. I got used to it years ago and enjoy some soda each day usually with dinner.
  • fadedimage
    fadedimage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for a while but then went back to it. The catch for me was switching to Pepsi Max (0 everything basically). Or if you're a Coke person, Coke Zero. Worth giving it a shot and seeing how it works out for you. But usually I try to drink something else other than soda (at a restaurant I'll go for lemonade for example).
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm working really hard to cut back on the Mountain Dew. I'm not a coffee drinker, so in the morning at work I'd have a can of Dew instead. Of course all those calories add up not to mention the sugar. I'm not 100% out of the Dew Woods yet but I've cut back to maybe twice a week.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I'm addicted to Coke (I know how it sounds), and I'm cutting it back in the process of cutting it off completely or almost completey. I'm replacing it with sparkling water, basically because I want something that tastes good in its own way rather than something that tastes like a poor substitute of what I'm trying to quit.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda or the 0 calorie sodas (Pepsi Max is awesome).. I got used to it years ago and enjoy some soda each day usually with dinner.

Same.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Zevia beats all other sodas hands down in my opinion! No artificial ingredients or sweeteners. (made with stevia). Lots of flavours.
    At nearly $7 a 6 pack, I limit my intake to 2 6 packs a month or less, though. I don't miss other soft drinks at all. I drink a lot of iced tea with stevia.
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I dont like pop but I do crave the carbination once in a while. I use soda water and fruit juice!
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh this is such a good topic. Prior to May I was completely addicted to Coke. I mean the real coke not diet and would usually get one 20oz bottle in every day and that was after I tried to cut way back. Before that I am sure I had a 2 liter each day. It was awful! When I first began this in May I was at least lucky enough to have cut back and had started drinking water so then I had to deal with that one coke. I did find Pepsi next which was pretty good but honestly now I mostly drink water or coffee or tea. I do have an occasional diet rootbeer or diet pepsi max. I prefer diet pepsi products over diet coke products oddly enough. I am trying to get rid of even them and so far I can do a few days without any and then I think I miss carbonation. I saw a few people mentioned seltzer water so I think I'm going to pick up that and try it. Hope it's successful :)
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    tonic water
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    They could charge $5/can for Diet Dew and I'd still buy it by the case.
  • RachieLH88
    Options
    I am 3 days into my new healthy life and I cracked and had a 600ml bottle of diet coke at lunchtime. Not too bad considering I am addicted to diet coke. I could easily drink 2-3L a day plus some prior to starting healthy eating. No more diet coke now for me until my cheat day :-) Until then ill stick with my 8cups of water and a chamomile tea before bed :-D