Options
aunienue
aunienue Posts: 416
I've never cooked them before....ideas?

Thanks, Sue

Replies

• bleedingdreamer
    Options
    I put them in a crockpot with some water and a bottle of barbecue sauce.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Boil them first, and then you can put them on the BBQ
  • slegris
    slegris Posts: 17
    Options
    Are you looking for a low fat cooking procedure?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Board is screwy today, my reply below in 3 messages:
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    I have the most amazing recipe! You won't be disappointed.

Place the ribs in a large roasting pan. Put lots of chopped garlic (I use the stuff that's already chopped in the jar) on the ribs, rub it evenly over the meat. When I say a lot of garlic, I mean a LOT of garlic, like 3 or 4 tablespoons for 2 racks. Then I sprinkle one package of dry onion soup mix evenly over the ribs. The powder is the most important part, so make sure that is sprinkled evenly. Add water to the bottom of the pan, but only enough to come up to the bones, don't cover the meet with water.

Bake at 350 degrees for 2 to 2.5 hours. Every hour just check the water level, you may need to add a couple cups here and there. Once they're done cooking, I pull them out, slap some BBQ sauce on them and bake for another 15 minutes on each side or so, to get the BBQ sauce baked in.

Enjoy!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Here's how I do it. It takes some time.

Use a rub and work it in. Wrap in cellophane. Put in fridge overnight.

Next day. Remove cellophane Place in pan on rack. Pour Jack Daniels and Beer on bottom of pan. Place foil over ribs. Steam for one hour. Take out - put back in fridge.

Next day. BBQ (not grill) over very low heat for about 3 hours. Glass of Maker's Mark in one hand/Cigar in other. Begin to add BBQ sauce the last hour.

When you pick them up the meat falls from the bone.

A little work, burt delicious.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Down>>>
  • oliviab
    oliviab Posts: 4
    Options
    For cooking pork ribs, boil them first for about 20 minutes and then you can put them in with sauerkraut, a cut up apple and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar along with a couple of tablespoons of onion and bake them in a 350 degree oven for about an hour and a half depending upon how many you have. Very tasty if you like sauerkraut. I think they would cook up nicely in the crock pot also but I would boil them first.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Are you looking for a low fat cooking procedure?

I'm open to all options :flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Oops
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Alot of people boil the ribs first, but I don't. I pull the skin off of the back side of them, put a little water in the bottom of my roaster and put them in the oven until done. I personally think that boiling takes the flavor out of them. About an hour before the are done, I smother them in barbque sauce and continue baking. Hope this helps :)
  • CasperO
    Options
    I like to hose 'em down with a little water to get them clean and pat 'em dry with paper towels. Then cover a cookie sheet with foil (must have a rim, not a flat sheet). Put a cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet so the ribs are up in the air and catch heat from all sides.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Before work in the morning - Baste/coat your ribs with the sauce of your choice. I usually do 2 racks of ribs and do one in a ragular BBQ sauce and one in this sesame-garlic marinade stuff that my wife loves. Put a "foil tent" over 'em - not tightly wrapped, just draped over with the foil. This keeps 'em from drying out. Then put 'em in a warm over (200-220 degress) and go to work.
  • CasperO
    Options
    When you come home 9/10 hours later your house will smell like a special corner of heaven where all the good southerners go when they die. Take 'em out, cut 'em up and feast. Enjoy,,, I like to do a side of mashed sweet potatoes and a green salad. Beer is good with ribs too. :smile: (If you keep the portion under control they're not that bad,,, it's just pork. I do them occasionally as a treat).
  • CasperO
    Options
    This is as close to smoking with indirect heat as most of us can get at home. The "cook-off" guys in St. Louis would laugh you out of the tent if you fired up a pot of water. Try this method and you'll never boil (the flavor out of your) ribs again!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Val's post, cut up so you can read it today:
    Here's how I do it. It takes some time. Use a rub and work it in. Wrap in cellophane. Put in fridge overnight.
    Next day. Remove cellophane Place in pan on rack. Pour Jack Daniels and Beer on bottom of pan. Place foil over ribs. Steam for one hour. Take out - put back in fridge.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Next day. BBQ (not grill) over very low heat for about 3 hours. Glass of Maker's Mark in one hand/Cigar in other. Begin to add BBQ sauce the last hour.

When you pick them up the meat falls from the bone.

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    48 Hours before serving I rub them down with a good dry rub. I have two or three dry rub recepies that I use. Once they're rubed down I spray them with apple juice and wrap them in saran wrap. Put in fridge.

24 hours before serving I smoke them with hickory wood in the smoker for 2-3 hours. Occosianally spraying them down with apple juice to keep them moist. After I take them out of the smoker I put them in an oven tin...and put about an inch of apple juice in the bottom. Cover tin with foil. Put in the frdige

a few hours before serving I put them in the oven at 300. This will make your house smell like a hickory campfire. After 2 hours pull out of the oven and serve. Half the time I don't even use BBQ sauce, they're so good.

If I'm smoking meat there is no portion control, if any of you ask I'm trying to gain muscle that day ; )
  • CasperO
    Options
    Righteous man,,, that's how you do it. +1 on the MM, though I don't smoke anymore. :smile:
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump.. thanks!