Gym vs own routine

Options
For those just forming their healthy lifestyle habits, which is better?

a) Gym programme that you don't particularly enjoy, counting each rep and sticking to it religiously

b) Doing your favorite exercises, such as walking, swimming etc every day, but take it easy on days that you are tired and do it longer on days you feel more motivated

Thoughts?

Replies

• gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I mix both into my workouts. I love playing basketball, but if that is all I do, I will not reach my goals. I have learned to love going to the gym, lifting weights, running on the treadmill and all that good stuff. What did it for me was a good playlist on my ipod. Once I got that going, the rest is a piece of cake.
  • tayagrp
    tayagrp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Did you get this fitness program from a personal trainer at the gym? If so they would have evaluated your health, fitness ability and goals. I would do what the personal trainer planned for you and still do what you love, just remember not to over exercise for your body will pay for it later. For example if you need to be in the gym for 3 days doing a routine, swim for 1 and walk for another day.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I would say doing the exercise you enjoy because you probably will not stick to the exercise you don't enjoy. Any exercise you do is better than any exercise you don't do.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    I personally would do what I love. That's something I've struggled with for years! I can't find anything I enjoy and want to stick with. However, I started doing HIIT/interval training on my own, at home. I love it!!! I actually WANT to do it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    "better" is a vague term.

For general fitness, surely the program that you will actually do and stick with is better. Some exercise is better than no exercise.

On the other hand, if you have specific goals in strength or hypertrophy, then I think you would be best served following a tried and true program.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    If you want results you have to put forth the effort. Of course it is better to find something that you know you can stick to, but remember to really push yourself if you want to see results.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You will enjoy a good routine when you start seeing results.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

a) Gym programme that you don't particularly enjoy, counting each rep and sticking to it religiously

b) Doing your favorite exercises, such as walking, swimming etc every day, but take it easy on days that you are tired and do it longer on days you feel more motivated

Thoughts?

So basically, you are asking if it is "better" to do:

a) weight training

b) cardio

For a majority of goals, I would say incorporate both. And if your weight training routine is something you don't like, then change it to something that you do like. You shouldn't do something you hate or you won't keep it up. But leaving out weight training is a mistake far too many people make.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My motivation in the gym is my ipod. I switch it on, turn it up and switch off. :o) Barely notice anyone around me except for the occaisional smile hehe. I also do stuff I want to do as well as my program, little extra never hurts. Good luck Mariah.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Results is what you want then do what it takes to get them. Strength training of some sort must be included.
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I happen to LOVE to throw the iron around, so naturally, I go do that at a gym. I also understand the need for cardio. Well, I hate cardio in the traditional form. Do I go and put the miles on the stationary bike (knees are shot, can't run)? Of course, but I also do cardio that I love to do...hiking in all of the beautiful places here in Hawaii, putting actual miles on my road bike, snorkeling, etc. You get the drift.

You have to first figure out what your goals are and then you will better to answer your own question...
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can swim and walk in a gym, ya know. You can do exercises at a gym that don't involve reps.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

People should do what they need, not what they like. I mean you know, if you can still stick with it.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    for me i like diversity .. in nicer weather i enjoy doing things outdoors . i have a swimming pool so i will do laps and other things in the pool when it is open. sometimes i put up an obstacle course in the yard . i have an inside gym in the house and i belong to one. i honestly have no excuses to not workout . everything is there at my fingertips whether im out and about or at home .
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I love walking. When weather permits I walk outdoors. I also do exercise videos. I did belong to a gym a few years ago. But when membership was due for renewal, just couldn't afford it. It is at least 20 minutes away from my house. They are all out of my way by at least 15 minutes. So, I find the motivation to do it at home because It is a waste of time and gas to drive to one every few days or daily. If one was near my house, I would go to it.
  • twinmommy7411
    Options
    I do both as of last week. I joined a gym with my husband last week. I really like it, maybe because I zone out to my music and time kind of flies like that for me, but I also stick to my 6 days a week workout at home with a mix of turbo fire and 30 day shred. On the days I don't have a long workout at home I go to the gym at night, at least thats what I've done since last week and so far I lost 4lbs in a week, along with healthy eating and juicing.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I would say doing the exercise you enjoy because you probably will not stick to the exercise you don't enjoy. Any exercise you do is better than any exercise you don't do.

Definitely agree! I find that I push myself a lot harder in group exercise though :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, it just is not for me. I have my own equipment and videos and always have preferred to do it at home.

ETA Oops I misread your question.

In my experience high intensity interval training (cardio and strength training) got faster and better results than just cardio alone
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Somewhat depends on your goals and needs. Walking and swimming are good exercises for weight control and cardio, but I think it serves people well to have a level of weight based strengthening exercise. I think we all have fav or not so fav exercises based on our strengths and weaknesses. Watch and ask others at the gym in order to find exercises you don't mind or like. If you want to skip counting reps etc. , than do a few sets each to exhaustion of the muscle group. Mixing it up helps.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of both- follow a lifting program 3x per week and then fill in the gaps with activities I enjoy like biking, hiking, and kayaking.