Dead at 48....

Options
Lost my mom 4 years ago today. She was addicted to food, cigarettes and depended on her pain meds. It destroyed her body. She was extremely obese and ate moon pie after hot fudge sundae after bottle of Mt Dew and so on... 48.... My great grandma just turned 100...she hasn't done anything special to still be here. But she has lived in a time where people ate cleaner..they didn't buy boxed quick fix meals and buzzed through the drive thru for a burger every couple days. My mom was a nurse...she knew better. She told us on many occasions that it was her life and she would eat what she enjoyed, and that she loved to smoke. Maybe if she knew then... This is my motivation. To be around for my kids way longer and see my grandkids and great grandkids.. To feel good when I get dressed, to look sexy for the hubby. To be alive..

Replies

• ClaireElaineDJ
    Options
    Your goal is very similar to mine. I want to give my boys the longest with their mom they can have. I want to see my grandkids. I want to be able to play with my kids and grandkids, without getting tired quickly or getting hurt. I want to teach my boys healthy habits so that they are around to see their kids and grandkids. I want them to be able to play with their children without getting hurt. And to teach them, I need to set the example. My mother died at 48 also, of breast cancer. Before she died, she stressed that I need to exercise, see the doctor regularly, and take care of my health. She wasn't obscenely obese, but she was overweight. She never went to the doctor or got her teeth fixed, or spent time taking care of her health. And she didn't want that for me. She struggled with the treatment for breast cancer, and she said it would have been easier if she had practiced caring for herself. I want to teach my boys the last lesson she taught me.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I feel the same way....I don't want my daughter learning these habits. Hopefully we set them on the right path!!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Selfish. When you have a family, and you're a nurse, you should know better. My son's grandfather never had life insurance. When asked why, he'd say "I won't need it, I'll be dead!" Well, he died of a massive heart attack at 51. His wife never worked outside the home. She does now! Our society is full of selfish, destructive people. I don't mean to be mean to your mom, but I'm sure she left a lot of hurt behind, 48 is far too young. I have all intentions of living to 100. Good luck to you!
  • devan33
    Options
    We felt like that with her everyday!! Why aren't we enough (i have a brother and sister)...why aren't the grandkids enough?? SO frustrating. She went in for a routine surgery on her rotator cuff...I'm sure she got right in the car afterwards and lit up... she was very sick within a few days. Doc thought it was pneumonia... Gave her some meds and sent her home. Few days later she was walking to her bedroom and just fell over. She was already gone. Just like that. They were pretty sure it was a blood clot/heart attack. She had fluid around her heart and lungs. I just have to keep thinking about it and make sure it keeps me thinking about what I am eating and how much I am moving every day. I struggle with it somedays...and that's why I am here!! Thanks for your comment :)
  • aweiser03
    Options
    We will get there in time Devan. I want the same things. I hope that we can fight this battle and win! I want to be old and gray and live to see my grandkids have kids! I want the 5 generations that we were jipped! Love you!!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have spent most of my children's growing up years being obese. But I never felt unhealthy (I have never smoked or used alcohol). Now that I have grandchildren I realize that I want to be sure to be around to see them grow up and my body isn't going to sustain this weight in a healthy way forever, so I am finally making taking care of myself a priority. I was 48 four years ago....scary to think that if I had dropped dead then I would not have been here to meet my two baby granddaughters this year. Thanks for your post - definitely motivating to me.
  • devan33
    Options
    Love you too, Allison. XOXO

Alissakae...I'm sure our mom knew she what she was doing...but never thought the day would come so soon. I think most of my childhood she was an average weight..probably about the time I hit 11-12 when she started putting a lot of pounds on. She lost a good bit when I was about 14..then gained that and more..and by the time I was 30, she was very heavy. Good for you to not have smoked!! I hope that my kids seeing me NOT smoke and all the talking we do with them about it and seeing my mom, that they will think twice.

I'm sad that my mom has never met my youngest.

She LOVED healthy food too...I think the junk was way easier for her.
    Hoping that we are learning from her mistakes, that we are able to stick with it and share it with the kiddos...
  • msurles
    Options
    First of all, I'm sorry for the loss of your Mother. While reading what you wrote, I just couldn't help but shed a tear. Your story touch my heart and like you, I want to be around for my step grand daughter and any future grand children. I am a food addict and all I do is think about food. I have dieted before and lost weight, then gained it all back plus some. On my weight tracker is a picture of me at 36 and 137 pounds. It was taked at my daughter's 16th birthday. I want that person back. Thank you for motivating me.
  • devan33
    Options
    First of all, I'm sorry for the loss of your Mother. While reading what you wrote, I just couldn't help but shed a tear. Your story touch my heart and like you, I want to be around for my step grand daughter and any future grand children. I am a food addict and all I do is think about food. I have dieted before and lost weight, then gained it all back plus some. On my weight tracker is a picture of me at 36 and 137 pounds. It was taked at my daughter's 16th birthday. I want that person back. Thank you for motivating me.

Please, I hope this does make people think!!! I know so many people live the same life she did, and maybe are around a little longer so others feel like they will just keep on living it too. But reality is SHE could have been anyone! We can all change that. My first goal is to not be that size and in that state of health, EVER. Second, I want to do better. I know she struggled a lot with food, and her motivation and her value of herself. I seen that, I don't want my daughter to see that out of me. It's not always easy. I am NOT happy when I look at myself right now. Sometimes I hate to leave the house. I feel like nothing fits right and I look ridiculous. I remember mom saying she didn't care to really leave the house anymore other than to go to work. She was happy in her house, in her comfy clothes, smoking her cigarettes, eating her junk and watching tv... And I am like, OH CRAP...I am too comfortable just sitting at home all the time!!!! I'm turning into mom! And I loved her, but I don't want to be her. And I LOVE food too. And I will have some things that I want on Saturday. But, I find other things that I really like to eat through the week and just modify what I am having. The first week was so tough! I was having like hypoglycemia drops...and then I wanted to pig out to feel better. This is week 2 and I am already feeling better! I lost 33lbs 3 years ago because I wanted to have another baby and didn't want to be pregnant on top of all the weight. And I have been struggling ever since to stay on the right path..this is the 3rd time I am starting over. Hang in there!!!