weekly menus for small families

Options
EmilyRanae22
EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
How many of you plan a menu for your family? If your family is small, how many meals do you plan?

It's just my husband and I, and I'm trying to get the hang of scheduling a menu so we aren't wasting food. Do you cook for more and freeze it/eat left-overs? I feel like planning more than 3 dinners tends to leave me wasting a lot but then I feel like there's no variety. How do you all deal with this?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it's just my husband and I as well. in the past i would make big amounts of dinners that i could either freeze or would last several days in the fridge. we're big on eating leftovers so it's not unusual for us to eat the same meal 3 days in a row until it's gone. hubby was laid off after thanksgiving so now he does the cooking. usually he makes enough for dinner, lunch the next day for me and dinner again. growing up my family always ate leftovers until they were gone. sometimes the leftovers would be transformed into something else. a whole roasted chicken is then turned into a chicken casserole dish or fahitas or chicken soup. last week hubby turned our leftover pasta with sauce into a stuffed calzone. be creative and you can make leftovers work.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We cook a large meal on Sunday and eat it for dinner through the week, then do something easy on Friday and Sat like quasadillas or pizza. I also bake muffins and other healthy stuff to freeze. That way we have some variety for sweets without anything going bad. Lunch is always a wrap or something else quick and we really rely on snacks.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    It's an ever-evolving process, alot of trial & error. For awhile I would only try to plan 3 or 4 days ahead because I did find things would go to waste. After awhile, I got better at figuring things out. Now I plan for an entire week. I always plan in atleast one if not 2 leftover days. My husband also relies on leftovers for his lunches during the week, so I make sure to make alot of extras. I plan out my snacks & lunches & only buy what I need for the week. I also always chop up a BIG bowl of salad at the beginning of the week just to have on hand.

I spend some time on the weekends taking inventory of what food I have in the house & try to plan a menu around that to save some money. Then I make a list & shop. And I also do as much prep work, usually on Sundays to set myself up for the week. Sometimes that might be cooking entire meals, or just chopping veggies, etc. And my freezer is esential!!! I do sometimes take a day to cook several meals I can freeze in smaller portions for those busy nights I need something quick. Unfortunately, my husband thinks those meals are to make HIS life easier on the rare occassion he has to cook. ??? Yeah, like I spend 8 hours in a kitchen cooking up a storm to make HIS life easier!!!!

Anyhow.....the whole process can be a pain sometimes, and time consuming, but once you really start to get a feel for what works, it is so worth it. My weeknights are so much easier & I get alot more done, I have time to fit in my exercise, AND, the plus is I also save money.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    jb, that's pretty much the process I am trying to get down. I think the trick may be that 1/2 of the leftovers get frozen rather than put in the freezer, that way I can make a huge lasagna and rather than having lasagna everyday for lunch we can have some for lunches and some for another dinner the following week or two. I'm also thinking of doing some freezer meals too...hubby won't end up using those I don't think because when it's "his turn" to cook, I tend to make a special request :)
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We cook every night for our family of three and take the leftovers for lunch the next day. Any excess leftovers are eaten on the designated 'leftover night'. It's not like we spend hours cooking every day, but whoever is home from work first gets it done. We don't make larger quantities of anything because it goes to waste. We are just aware of how much we actually need and then none goes to waste.
  • MartineCoppens
    MartineCoppens Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I get my shopping delivered weekly, so I plan ahead for an entire week. I cook home-made meals every night, as my other half comes home at 6 and I usually am home by 3 in the afternoon. I have a cooking blog (martinesrecipes.blogspot.co.uk), so planning the menu is pretty easy, I just browse my blog for whatever I would like to eat that week, and make sure I plan things that last longer in the fridge (or can go in the freezer) for later in the week. It's quite easy when you get the hang of it!

And some things (like pasta, tinned tomatoes, rice, carrots etc) are always in stock, so in a pinch I can whip up a pasta sauce or something in 15 minutes!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    We're a small family, but I have a hard time cooking small- I'm getting better at it, but I find I usually only need to cook about 3 nights out of the week. We usually treat ourselves to take out once every other week, and on the opposite weeks we usually get together with his parents. If I make something like chili, soup or spaghetti sauce and meatballs, I'll freeze some, but most of the time we eat something for a couple days in a row. Like tonight- I'm making beef stroganoff… there will most likely be enough for at least one of us tomorrow, and we still have chicken soup that my mother made yesterday while watching the baby. I do have to plan out meals for shopping purposes, because if I don't, I'll forget to pick up half of what I need for the meals!

(edited for spelling)
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I'm with you DelReMi....I'm not good at cooking small...guess I gotta keep popping out the babies ;)
  • bluecrush1203
    bluecrush1203 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to crock pot one type of meat at the beginning of the week (chicken, pulled pork, roast) and use it different ways each night. This week we roasted a chicken and had it in salad, on whole wheat pizza dough, in spaghetti squash pasta and in quesadillas. To break it up we may throw in a meatless day or make something like fish that can be purchased in small portions.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We're a slightly bigger family but I guess the logic is the same.

I plan my meals to have fresh stuff at the beginning of the week and more storecupboard type dinners by the end.

So things like salads and stir-frys happen on Mondays and Tuesdays (I hate veg when they start to look sad!). I go for dinners that have more robust veg in the middle of the week, so potatoes, root veg and squashes as they can last a bit longer.

By Friday or Saturday, we might have a pasta (sauce can be made from tinned tomatoes and an onion and other storecupboard ingredients - we make spag bol or lasagne with vegetarian mince from the freezer. If I am going for a white or cheese sauce, then all I need is butter, flour, milk, nutmeg and cheese - again all stuff I regularly have (calories allowing :wink: ). Or alternatively my spicy rice dish that uses up any left overs from the week or if there's nothing left, works equally well with frozen veg.

If I do, make a chilli or spag bols, I always make double and bag them up in freezer bags in individual adult portions. If I need to give the kids a quick dinner or me or my husband, then we just pull out the number of bags we need - healthy and homecooked.

Sunday, is a roast and then the leftover meat (if there is any) go into the salad and stir-frys on the Monday/Tuesday again!

Hope that helps. Kab x
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    since we aren't supposed to advertise, I guess I can't tell you which one - but I subscribe to a weekly meal plan online. I only paid $17 for 3 months and it gives you meal plans for 1-2 people... although we almost always have a bit leftover for lunch the next day... even if I had a child, it would probably still work for us. I like that it isn't repetitive and it uses the same ingredients for multiple meals, so if you buy flour tortillas, you will use them for two or three meals in different ways. I plan and shop once a week now and none of the meals take more than 30-40 minutes to prepare.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Kab- Sounds like you have a great system. I'll have to see if I can get a system down. I was thinking of doing something similar. I think my next venture will be to purchase good storage containers for the freezer

amomono- I think that you can mention things as long as you aren't "promoting" but I'm not sure. I'll inbox you for the name of the site ;) I know my sis did a site like that but it was for once a month cooking. I think I would like to do more like "once a week" cooking than once a month. I love to be in the kitchen, but with work, school, and preparing for baby I just can't put a whole lot of love into our meals on a daily basis
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Its just the two of us (for now). Every Sunday I roast a 6-7lb chicken and use it all week. I always buy them on sale and freeze them until ready to use (I usual find them for $5 each) so it really stretches my budget. Chicken Salad, Chicken over salad, chicken casserole, white chicken lasagna, chicken quesadillas, pot pie, etc etc etc the possibilities are endless. I always have a stocked pantry so I can cook on the fly. 10-30 minute meals that are different enough so its never boring! :happy:
  • ashleyhageman
    ashleyhageman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's just my fiance and I and I do most the cooking. We buy meats and then freeze them all - the individually wrapped Purdue chicken is awesome because you can just take out 2 pieces for a dinner and not worry about having to make the rest and have leftovers.

For the most part, I'll take out two pieces of chicken, two turkey burgers that we separate and freeze, or cook up some turkey chop meat. Then I'll add a side of rice (make two servings), a baked potato or some kinda of carb. Just add some frozen veggies and you have a perfect meal with no leftovers! Gives you the option of having something different each night and not having to eat leftovers or over eat each night.

Friday night is out date night out :-)

Saturday & Sunday I'll usually make something large - maybe a turkey chili. And we will eat that throughout the day and maybe have any leftovers on Monday night.

The biggest takeaway is buying the individually packaged chicken breasts and also separating your meat before putting it in the freezer.
  • ATester
    ATester Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's my husband, son and I. I plan meals weekly and then shop after the menu plan. Yesterday was pork w/mustard sauce, brown rice and grean beans. Today is Chicken Salad w/ Cilantro lime sauce w/black beans, red pepper and corn. Tomorrow is polenta stuffed peppers. Seems so much easier to plan the meals. Then I'm not tempted to go out, or making something less healthy. It also helps w/ variety. If I didn't plan, I would end up having the same thing all the time and that gets boring!
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Kab- Sounds like you have a great system. I'll have to see if I can get a system down. I was thinking of doing something similar. I think my next venture will be to purchase good storage containers for the freezer

Freezer bags of different sizes with the push-together seals are great. Take up much less room than solid plastic or tuppleware boxes. You just need a permanent marker so you can write the date and the contents on the outside of each bag.

To defrost in a rush you just but the bags in a pan of water and warm gently. Takes 5 to 10 mins. Then tip out the water and put the contents back in the pan and cook thoroughly.

Anyway, good luck with your planning and cooking! Kabx
  • NixxyPetal
    Options
    This is something my girlfriend and I are only really just getting the hang of. We plan and shop a week at a time, which is perfect if you put a bit of thought into how long veggies and things will last. If I'm making something like pasta sauce I'll double what I need and use the rest later in the week/freeze it. Most things we just make enough for two and have variety in the week, but if it uses an ingredient that we must buy at a certain size and can't re-purpose the left overs easily, we'll make it twice in a week. I also try to freeze one new thing a week at least, and eat at least one thing from the freezer each week.

We share cooking pretty evenly, I'm more likely to try new things, and my girlfriend maybe does slightly more of the day to day cooking because I'm busier than her.

For menu planning, I 'pin' any recipes I like to pinterest, so we can visually see the options for that week, pick a few, then sort out if we're using half packs of anything so that we don't have wasted food!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    We have a family of four. I usually plan 14 dinners because I get paid bi-weekly.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    we are a family of 3: 1 of whom is a toddler

We often make a regular size meal and then immediately freeze some of the leftovers for a quick meal to pull out at anytime. the other leftovers go in the frig to be eaten 1 more time in a couple days. there are some things we won't freeze like potatoes.

Our menu this week is homemade hamburger vegetable soup w cornbread, dirty rice w pintos, english peas and rutabagas, bbq porkchops w roasted turnips and green beans, and beef burritos w black beans and squash.

besides the turnips and burritos, there will be a meal from each night frozen later for next week/month's lunch or a night no one wants to cook.

i assume you were just wanting dinner, right?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    There are 5 people in my family but I'm sure my method would work just the same for a smaller family.

I'm very budget conscious so my meal planning goes something like this:

1. Flip through recipes in my spare time and print/highlight ones that I would like to try soon.
    2. Go through circular ad for the store that I shop at (write down good deals/etc), also take inventory of remaining food in the house.
    3. Prepare 2 week meal plan (keep in mind $300 budget)
    4. Shop (buying frozen vegetables to use for the second week- same nutritional value, just last longer)
    5. Separate meats into portions that will be needed in the next 2 weeks.

The meal plan is then posted on the refrigerator at my house. Oddly enough, whenever there are too many leftovers (despite everyone minus one mostly relying on leftovers for lunches), we'll have a leftover night and this will usually extend my meal plan another 3-5 days.

Oh and if for some reason, I'm not feeling like making what's planned for dinner that night, I can always pick another day from later in the week and I'll still be sure to have all of the ingredients on hand.