Recumbent Bike - Best Use?

PickyChicky
PickyChicky Posts: 6 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All

Looking for advice for use of our new recumbent bicycle. We got it to put in the living room so that instead of sitting around watching TV, we can be at least exercising. Problem is, I'm not sure of the best way to use it. So far, I've put it on manual at a resistance that gets my heart rate up to 130 - 135 or so (target between 122 and 148) and pedal away. I've only had it for a few days and exercised for a full TV show yesterday.

Questions:

Does it matter how many revolutions per minute I'm doing?

Is there a "best" way to get the most out of this machine?

Anything else you can recommend?

I need to lose about 40 pounds still - 46yr old woman - eating between 1200 - 1400 calories per day.

Thanks a ton!

Replies

• aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Make sure you aren't too close to the pedals or it causes knee pain. Actually this goes for all bicycles, take your heels (while wearing whatever you will exercise in) and put them on the pedals and pedal. Your knee should be very close if not fully extended while pedaling like that. When you put the balls of your feet over the pivot point you will now be very close to the proper distance from the pedals. If your knee starts hurting on the outside of the knee it is ITB syndrome and very likely you are too far from the pedals or you are really inflexible. If the front lower part of your knee starts hurting you are to close to the pedals. Cadence is a personal preference. However, if you hope to begin running or riding a real bike in the future you should build up to staying as close to 90rpm as you can manage. I personally stay above 95rpm as often and for as my lungs will allow.
  • PickyChicky
    PickyChicky Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks so much! I do think I've got it set correctly. I went and sat on it and did as you suggested and all seems to be just right. Feeling good about that.

Anyone else have other suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.