What's the best scale to use?

Options
From your experience, whats the best scale to use to track weightloss?

Dependability and affordability are our top priorities.

I've seen some good reviews for 'EatSmart' scales but then some that say the readings vary with the temperature

I've always heard weight watcher scales were super dependable but just looked and there are SO MANY different scales from WW.

any help would be appreciated - i can't keep living with a scale that gives me 3 different readings in a two minute time period (this morning from 205 to 207.5 to 210).

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use a $30 scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It's digital, accurate when compared to a calibrated doctor's scale. The scales that can link to MFP are pretty good as well. I saw some decent reviews on them. However, I am cheap and weight is a horrible way to track progress, so I got the cheapest thing that works well...and use the mirror and clothes-fitting / loose method to track my real progress. My only comment is to avoid super expensive scales that are "aesthetically pleasing" or the dirt cheap scales. They are historically less accurate from reviews I have read.

NOTE: I just saw your post with the multiple readings. As a rule of thumb, keep still when you get on. I can fluctuate my weight upwards by up to 5 lbs on my scale depending on how I am leaning or swaying.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    thanks for the thoughts - really seems like your weight shouldn't shift so much depending on how you're leaning tho...
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have the "EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology" (This is the official title that amazon uses) I love it. You can step right on and it can recognize myself or my husband since you can create multiple profiles with it. It also analyzes body fat percentage, body water and bone mass if you want to keep track of any of that. I have had it for almost a year and havent changed the AA batteries yet. In my experience it is within .5 lb of the doctor scale.
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Aria scale. It's pretty pricey, but it has a wifi connection so it automatically syncs with the fitbit website and with MFP. For me, it helps with accountability, and I use it every day to see a graph of when I am bloated most, how a night of drinking affects my water weight, etc etc.
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the aria also tracks body fat percentage.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We got a Weight Watchers one from a garage sale. keeps track of all sorts of stats for up to 6 people. It has been within 1/2 lb of the scales at the WW meetings I go to.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    I have the "EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology" (This is the official title that amazon uses) I love it. You can step right on and it can recognize myself or my husband since you can create multiple profiles with it. It also analyzes body fat percentage, body water and bone mass if you want to keep track of any of that. I have had it for almost a year and havent changed the AA batteries yet. In my experience it is within .5 lb of the doctor scale.

thanks! it seemed to have really good reviews
    have you noticed any fluctuation with temperature change? that's the only complaint i've seen
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have the "Healthometer LED Split Mat Bath Scale" it was cheap ($15), a couple of the reviews on it said it would give you different readings (5-10 lbs difference each weigh-in) within a few minutes. I tested it and it gave me the same weight consistently so, no idea what those reviews were talking about.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I havent really noticed any changes due to temp, but then again I am not OCD about my weight.. Any variations I assume are due to water retention, food being in my belly etc. I have tested my weight a couple of times in a row to check to see the consistency and it is always the same when I do that. For the general purposes of weight monitoring I think you will be happy with this one.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the aria also tracks body fat percentage.

I had to send my back because of my pacemaker. So, if you have a pacer like me dont get it. I really heard it was great!