Help, gym newbie. :(

Options
So I signed up for my local David Lloyd.

I went in there today and it was so overwhelming it was scary. I didn't know what to do, so I galavanted around like a bunny for half an hour on the cross trainer and that fab vibration machine thing.

I am really self conscious, I felt everyone was looking at me and laughing.

I want to start building myself an exercise routine but I don't know where to start at all.

I would very much like some help to get me started please :)

Replies

• Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to the other people in the gym. Just focus on what you're doing. If you're too intimidated to go to the free weights part then maybe you could start on cardio on the treadmill or elliptical.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

I'd suggest getting a book to guide you through the weights (New Rules of Lifting for Women, maybe), and then try out the different cardio options until you find one you like. 30 minutes weights followed by 30 minutes cardio, to start. Once you get more familiar with what you're doing and what you like, you can adjust.

Also, if your gym offers and orientation or free personal training session for signing up, take advantage of that. One of the staff can give you good advice and show you some technique.

ETA: No one is watching you or laughing at you as long as you're following gym etiquette. Just be courteous, wipe down your machines, and don't sit around on a bench talking on your cell phone. Everyone's too busy worrying about themselves, trust me =)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had an experience like that. My first time in a gym, I felt the same way.

If you approach someone that works there, ask them to show you around and ask if maybe you could get a few pointers.

Depending on your goals and what you want/like to do - check out different websites. If your goal is to lift weights, bodybuilding.com is a terrific resource.

:)

Don't be afraid to ask questions!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your gym have any kind of introduction for new people? If not...grab a trainer and ask questions. You're paying for a service, and they should be willing to help you use things correctly. Additionally, most machines should have some sort of diagram/instructions on them.

DO NOT let the thought of people watching you be discouraging.. There are jerks everywhere, but most people are just there to do their own thing, and aren't paying much attention to you. If they really are watching...then let that be motivation to work out harder and show them you are just as serious as they are (or more).

Hang in there....and don't get discouraged!

Edited to add...don't let people intimidate you...I've been going to gyms for around 10 years, and trust me, even those who aren't new do things wrong and use incorrect form too, so don't assume they all know what they're doing either :laugh:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    People will tell you not to be self conscious, but then they'll come on here and make fun of you for using the equipment incorrectly. Stupid double standards!

The cardio machines are pretty easy to figure out. I assume you're most intimidated by weights. I would say to get a couple sessions with a personal trainer and ask them to show you around!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Might be worth hiring a trainer. If you are new you probably get one free session. Just tell them exactly what it is you want to do and have them show you how to handle the equipment you need to do it. Will be the best $50 you've spent in a long time.
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    What are your goals?

I'd suggest getting a book to guide you through the weights (New Rules of Lifting for Women, maybe), and then try out the different cardio options until you find one you like. 30 minutes weights followed by 30 minutes cardio, to start. Once you get more familiar with what you're doing and what you like, you can adjust.

Also, if your gym offers and orientation or free personal training session for signing up, take advantage of that. One of the staff can give you good advice and show you some technique.

^^ This. You should probably get a trainer or someone to show you the ropes if you are doing free weights. You don't want to work out with free weight while unknowingly using incorrect form. You won't get the results you want and you could hurt yourself.
  • goldieglitter
    goldieglitter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Step one- DON'T LET OTHER SCARE YOU! A lot of those people were at the same starting place as you, so please don't be intimidated by others. Most of them are likely thinking "good for you," so don't let your anxiety get the best of you!

Step two- Get a group exercise schedule and try out all of the classes that you find interesting. My first few weeks at my gym, I was trying every class that I could make work with my daily schedule, and I found Zumba and Body Combat, my two favorite work outs. The group exercise classes really make me push myself until the end of the workout, instead of just calling it quits when I am "too tired" to go on... I wasn't too tired, just letting myself fall into weakness!

Step three- If you try all the classes and only find one that you like, try doing the couch to 5k challenge on the tredmill. I never in a million years thought that I would be running a 5k, but the interval training works wonders, and really gets your body used to long spurts of running. (I was barely able to complete day one when I started, but I carried on and kept pushing myself, and while it didn't get much easier, just knowing that I COULD do it if i tried really helped)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most people in the gym are focused on their own goals and only pay attention when they want to jump in on your circuit. Be sure you aren't an annoying gym goer: no perfume/cologne; clean gym clothes; no cellphone; etc.

As for getting comfortable in the gym and starting a routine, I would set up a few sessions with one of their trainers (some gyms offer a free session or two to orient you and help you ascertain your goals and how to acheive them). Also, there are some great YouTube sessions and books available out there to give you some instruction.

Don't worry, it's like going to a new school: eventually it stops being scary and you get to know your way around.
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    I feel a lot like that when I'm in the gym, but at the end of the day, when we're sweating and really going for it, we might look a bit odd to them, but think of how much better we'll look when it pays off and we're slimmer and more toned! I always end up mentally telling everyone to screw themselves, I'm here to lose weight and I /am/ going to do it, maybe see if a similar technique helps with the social aspect for you?
    Also, do your gym do fitness classes? Because they can be a great start if you don't really know what to do, the instructors will guide you through the movements so you've got some inspiration next time you're in the gym. I really agree with the idea of going to the gym workers as well - they're normally really friendly and get so bored just standing there, so you asking them for tips will probably make their day a bit more interesting too :)
    Good luck
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What everyone is sating is spot on. Don't worry about other folks. Just do what you gotta do!

another great place for supportive information is Fitocracy (they take the whole exercise thing and turn it into a game) the users over there are very helpful and supportive. You can find a group for about anything you'd wanna do. here is a link

http://ftcy.me/pLPhPh

if you are just getting into weights *or want to) check out the 5x5 stronglifts. It covers the "big 3" lifts without overwhelming you and you start out lite...like empty bar lite. I am sure i looked funny as all get out at 6'3 250lbs with and empty bar doing squats :)

it you are new to cardio...try something that starts out slow and builds you in, like Couch to 5k.

Good Luck!
  • nickifinch
    nickifinch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.

My goal is to get to a size 10/12, to build muscle and lose fat. I want to be able to lift properly and have some strength (but not too much!).

I have a free personal trainer session this Sunday as they couldn't fit me in before!

I will check to see what price they are and try and get a couple of sessions from them to get me going.