Peanut and Nut Free... Peanut Butter?

Options
MightyDomo
MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
Since I have allergies to all kinds of nuts I have been trying to figure out alternatives and I heard about this a couple months ago.

Wow Butter is one that I have heard of and I don't know of any others... but I am looking for opinions on if it is a good alternative to peanut butter?

And if it actually tastes like peanut butter?

And if there are any others like this out there?

(sorry for so many questions! & Thanks and advance)

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to seed? Sun Butter is made from sunflower seeds.
  • MightyDomo
    Options
    Definitely not allergic to sunflower seeds :) I will have to look that one up too!
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup I second sunbutter it is delish!!!
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
  • MightyDomo
    Options

Oh my goodness, cookie butter! That is probably so addictive, I love cookies lol.
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that cookie butter stuff is awesome! If I were a less committed person, I could eat a whole jar at one sitting!
  • MightyDomo
    Options
    I think this sun butter is a winner, especially since they have it in stores near my house and the wow butter is online! I don't know where I can find that cookie butter though, would love to try it (if it comes in a small size).

This is going to make breakfast so much tastier and I would have to see if it works in peanut butter marshmallow square recipes!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Cookie butter is BOMB, but totally processed junk. I eat it anyway. Not a lot, so that makes it okay, right? Right?? What about tahini? I've never had it plain; I only have it to make hummus, so I have no idea if it tastes good. It's made with sesame seeds.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    I think this sun butter is a winner, especially since they have it in stores near my house and the wow butter is online! I don't know where I can find that cookie butter though, would love to try it (if it comes in a small size).

This is going to make breakfast so much tastier and I would have to see if it works in peanut butter marshmallow square recipes!

You can only get Cookie Butter at Trader Joe's but I think Biscoff Spread might be the same thing and I see that everywhere.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Similar to cookie butter is Biscoff spread. Yum....not a lot of nutritional value there though LOL.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Here's a cookie butter recipe if you want to try to make a batch. http://bigbaketheory.com/2012/08/03/homemade-speculoos-spread/

It has ALL the fat! lol
  • beatlebomb
    Options
    Wow butter is so like peanut butter. I have had an allergy to peanuts and this wow butter is amazing.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We use wow butter at home because my son is allergic to peanuts. It is exactly like peanut but (but because it's soy, it's a complete protein). It tastes, spreads and melts like PB!

Where I am I can buy it in any grocery store and it's quite affordable...about $5-6 for a 500g jar.

They even use it at my kids daycare!
  • drumerley
    drumerley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sunbutter and Wow or I.M. Healthy (another Soy butter brand, though we prefer Wow) are becoming widely available at grocery stores and Target. You can also order them online at PeanutFreePlanet. They're cheaper that way , especially if you order multiples. They also have energy bars, granola bars and lots of other things you can't get here in the states (but are available in Canada).
    My kids are allergic to nuts, so I've been doing this for years. :D
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There are loads of different seed butters, try not to go too high on the omega-6s unless you eat oily fish often.
  • MightyDomo
    Options
    Oh my goodness.... the Wow Butter is ridiculously good! It's got great texture and it tastes like I remember peanut butter tasting. SO AMAZING! I never thought I would ever taste this again.

I also tried the Sun Butter but I found it to be quite runny and taste a lot like sunflower seeds not really like peanuts but it was still really good. All the other ones on the shelf that were non-nut peanut butters were processed in facilities that of course handled peanuts and tree nuts.

Thank you all for your help, so utterly pleased!