Not losing hardly anyway and very confused. Please help!

Options
I am beyond frustrated and confused.I have been using MFP for almost 6 months. I am 277, 5'4". I drink 8 glasses or more of water a day. I eat anywhere from 1350 to 1680 calories a day and make sure I get at least 5 frutis and veggies (raw or steamed only) a day. I eat mostly whole grains and try to get in as much protein as possible (but it is very expensive to buy a bunch of meat. We are very broke.) Though I have Lupus, I do step areobics 3 times a week for 30 min and do light strength exercises ( such as wall push ups, sit ups, arm curls, etc) 5 times a week. I walk on the treadmill and do the recumbent bike once a week for 30 min each.

I have lost a couple of inches, but the scale has only moved about 5 pounds!! I do take meds that make it more difficult to lose weight, but my doctor checked my thyroid and said it is fine. My doctor also says my weight is just coming off very slow, but that I am doing all the right things.

Any advice or suggestions to what I can do to lose more weight?? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    are you weighing all your food on a scale?
    Are you sure you log everything?
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes and yes :( I even count all condiments, sauces and seasonings. I am on a low sodium diet too due to high blood pressure.
  • na649475b
    Options
    i seem to be having the same sort of problems i lost nearly 8lbs i started in October now i just seem to be putting most of the weight back on i am not doing anything different i do not know if my fat is turning to muscle as i seem to have lost inches.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so people can see it?

I am losing slowly too but not that slow. Course I am ancient at 56. I didn't know if I was ready to lose weight but friend said he was going to try this so I thought, why not? I just made a commitment to log all my food. Kinda took off from there and am now working on exercising.

i take it one day at a time. Got some awesome pals here who are motivated and serious and fun. That helps alot! I did buy a food scale but haven't really used it much. Will probably use it when i get closer to goal.

And its going to take me a long time to lose this weight since I only average 5 lbs a month. Am hoping with exercise to up that to 7 lbs a month, but, hey I am getting stronger and I won't have to worry bout loose skin issues, like many people my age! I never want to be heavy again so its ok its going to slow because i really need to reprogram the way I think and approach life which is more difficult than the dropping pounds. Its all good and it takes what it takes.

Hang in there.
    C
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What meds are you taking? I have lupus (well, it's in remission now) and some of the meds can be problematic for weight loss. Also your body tends to be pretty stressed and I think that makes things harder. Do you get enough sleep?

If you open your diary we might be able to make some suggestions.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to take a medicine, Risperidone, that made it hard/impossible to lose weight too. Regardless of anything I did, the scale wouldn't go down, but if I had a bad eating day, it sure had no problem going up. :grumble:

I recently stopped taking those meds and I'm looking forward to seeing if it makes any difference.
  • jacktin
    Options
    I actually have two things that make it hard to lose weight. Besides Lupus, I have been diagnosed Biploar I for 12 years. The Lupus meds I take are Predisone ( about every 3 months) which is steroid (ugh!), Hydrocodone for pain ( about 3 times a week), and Humira.

For Bipolar I Disorder I take Lithium, Cogentin, Zyprexa, Hadol, and Klonopin.

For High Blood Pressure, I take Atenolol.

I CANNOT change any of my meds. I have tried it before and med changes of any kind seem to put me in the hospital (either mental or regular) and I do not like going to any kind of hospital.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion: Stop focusing so much on the scale! If you're losing inches, why does it matter?
  • CarmLongo
    Options
    Try doing food eliminations. JJ Virgin. Eliminate 7 Food for 7 Days and Lose 7 Pounds. Basically eliminate: Wheat Dairy Sugar Egg Corn Soy and Peanuts. Many of these foods cause you to retain fluid and feel bloated! Good luck!!!
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! Sounds like you're doing all the right things. You didn't gain all your weight in 6 months, so it's not going to fly off you in 6 months. The Pred will make it harder for you to lose weight but it's not impossible, keep on going. In a year or 2 from now you'll be glad you did.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wait a second. You lost some inches. Why are you concerned about having only lost a few pounds?!
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories for your height/weight? I've read that not eating enough calories can also hinder weight loss.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I was going threw the same thing until, I up my workouts to at least a 1 hr a day 500 calories or more 6 days a week and add weights 3 times a week. Some people like me its alot harder to lose weight you have bust your but to get it off.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I completely understand not wanting to mess with what works! We can spend literally years finding the drug combo that actually keeps us (relatively) normal people! You might want to talk to your psychiatrist about adding Topamax to your cocktail. I was on lithium for a few years, gained 40 pounds in something like 3 months. Topamax (topirimate) is frequently used as a very mild mood stabilizer and to mitigate the weight gain I was facing with lithium. It was pretty effective. It was quite a while back, but as I recall, my gains stopped and I even lost some weight after starting Topamax. It gets a lot of flack for being sedating, but I only found that to happen at pretty high doses. It was a good addition for me, anyway.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    For affordable proteins, go for eggs and beans!

The number on the scale doesn't matter. If you are eating healthier and moving more, your body will be healthier.

For motivation, set eating or fitness goals. This is one thing I love about some of my Wii games - I have a score that shows me I am getting better!
  • jacktin
    Options
    Thanks to all for your input :D I do appreciate it!

I bet you are right and I wish I could change my meds, but unfortunately I cannot change or add anything to them. I have tried and so has my doctors :( You name it, I've tried it (Seroquel, Topamax, Depakote,Tegretol, Lamictal,Thorazine,Geodon,etc. etc.). I am not even allowed any kind of antidepressant-even when suicidal depressed because of how bad the psychoctic symptoms get (so I have been told by cops and doctors at hospitals).Though the 1200 mgs of daily Lithium and having Lupus is actually hurting my kidneys (confirmed with muliptle blood level readings), I must stay on it or I get all the creepy symptoms and psychosis. My doctors feel it is better not to "rock the boat" because this is the only combo that keeps me from offing myself and they want me to stay living. Some existence-- if you ask me.

I am *screwed* medicine-wise and I just want to be a normal weight for my height :(

Maybe I am not eating enough calories? Could be. Hmm, never thought about that before.Perhaps maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing too. I am losing inches, but it is just so darn sloooow!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I actually have two things that make it hard to lose weight. Besides Lupus, I have been diagnosed Biploar I for 12 years. The Lupus meds I take are Predisone ( about every 3 months) which is steroid (ugh!), Hydrocodone for pain ( about 3 times a week), and Humira.

For Bipolar I Disorder I take Lithium, Cogentin, Zyprexa, Hadol, and Klonopin.

For High Blood Pressure, I take Atenolol.

I CANNOT change any of my meds. I have tried it before and med changes of any kind seem to put me in the hospital (either mental or regular) and I do not like going to any kind of hospital.

Prednisone can make it hard. My husband gained 60 pounds when they had him on that. Maybe ask if there is an alternative you can try? (He lost it all back quickly when he weaned himself off of it.)