vegatable recipes NEEDED

Options
My family and I want to start trying new recipes. I would love to try one - two new vegatable sides to add to dinner. We don't get enough veggies. And we have two picky eaters. PLEASE HELP

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My gramma used to make these AWESOME green beans when I was younger...

She would snap fresh green beans (a pound or more)
    Wash and cut baby carrots (halved)
    Chop an onion
    Rinse a bunch of red potatoes
    Put it all in a pot with water add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and let it simmer on low/medium until the potatoes are cooked through. (She used a ham hock occasionally as well)
    It's just fine with out and it was a deffinite favorite.

:)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Grilled Avocado Rockamole

Ingredients
    8 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
    2 lemons, juiced
    Gray salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons finely minced garlic
    3/4 cup julienned basil leaves
    1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    Directions
    Preheat a grill or grill pan.

Place peeled and pitted avocado halves in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice (to prevent oxidation), and sprinkle with a good amount of grey salt and black pepper. To grill indoors, preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Douse a paper towel with olive oil, then swipe it across the grill pan so you have just enough olive oil so the avocados won't stick (they will supply their own fat). Place avocados on the grill, cut side down. Grill for 1 full minute.

Meanwhile, preheat a 10-inch saute pan. Add 1/2 cup of olive oil to the pan, add minced garlic and saute until it gets light brown. Add julienned basil and saute until wilted and transfer to a large glass or ceramic bowl. Take the avocados off the grill and add to the bowl. With a fork, mash the avocado/basil mixture well. Add sour cream and stir. Add Parmesan and stir. Serve immediately.
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    this is what i like to do with butternut squash, sweet potatoes, brussels, or really anything else!!

cut into cubes.

spray some pam on the cubes and put on some seasoning: i like to do a season-all, or maybe some ginger and lemon, or cinnamon sugar (kids would probably like that).

then i put them on a pan into a 375-400 degree oven and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on size and preference.

i like them a little toastier than most people do, but this and any other type of roasted veggie just brings out a great sweet flavor in the vegetables. with sweet potatoes you can make sweet potato fries this way!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    raliegh's suggestion is easy and great. it's amazing how roasting veggies (especially root veggies) makes them taste so sweet. I also do something similar with broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower...a little olive oil, s&p, roast in 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes (depending on oven and how done you like your veggies). With the broccoli and asparagus, I like to sometimes put balsamic vinegar on them too.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I love the green giant steamers found in the frozen section. They only take 5 minutes to make and they have lots of varieties so they can go with any meal.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I love the green giant steamers found in the frozen section. They only take 5 minutes to make and they have lots of varieties so they can go with any meal.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Mix a tablespoon of olive oil, two or three tablespoons of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and minced garlic in a large bowl. Halve cherry tomatoes into the bowl, and toss them in the mixture. Pour it into a foil-lined pan and pop it under the broiler until the tomatoes are wilted and have some caramelized/brown spots, about 5-10 minutes. I hate tomatoes, but I love this dish. It also works if you add zucchini/yellow squash matchsticks.

Another one I love is roasted cauliflower. It's super easy - cut up the florets as you normally would, toss them in a little bit of olive oil with salt and pepper or paprika, spread them on a pan, and put them in the oven at 375 for about half an hour, or until they're tender. It makes them taste sweet and kind of nutty. I usually end up eating a serving of them before they even get out onto the table.

With both of these recipes, you can do the prep ahead of time, like cutting up the veggies and tossing them in the oil mixtures the night before, and just pop them in the oven when you're ready for them.
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Roasted Veggies are the best like Ralleigh said! I'm a vegetarian so finding new things to do with vegetables is my life. I'm a big fan of roasting eggplant, mushrooms and zucchini with a little olive oil, salt and pepper for 30 mins at 400 degrees. Once done, i put onto a tortilla (Mission brand makes a great carb balance one with a bunch of fiber) top with 1/4 feta cheese and then another tortilla. Put in the oven till toasty and gooey and serve with hummus as dipping sauce. It's like a Mediterranean quesadilla. Yummmm!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    That sounds sooooooo good.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump

i always steam my fresh veges.:smile:
    i want to try roasting them now! :bigsmile: do you think i can skip the oil? :huh: i'm going to try it!:wink::wink:

thank you:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • stephlewis
    Options
    No, no. The oil is pretty necessary, helps bring out the good flavors and keeps things moist. Ya don't want the veges to stick to the pan! Haha. But only like a tablespoon is needed! Use olive oil & it's good for your heart! Olive oil is one of the "good fats" =)
  • stephlewis
    Options
    MSBANANA - that sounds so wonderful! Amazing how I forgot to think back to my roots, my momma & grandma used to make this kind of dish as well, thank you for the reminder!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    check out my blog, i have a few good recipes there that are specifically geared towards picky eaters. some of us never grow out of that stage... :p
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies too! I will do either asparagus, butternut squash, or beets tossed with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper and roasted until carmelized. Soooo good! when I roast beets, I will then add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to them once they are cooked, and a little bit of cilantro - tastes like candy!

I steam all my green veggies (except the asparagus because DH refuses to eat it any way other than roasted). Only steam them until they turn bright green, so that they retain much of their nutrients and have a nice crisp consistency. Then I add Smart Balance butter substitute, which is a better fat because it has lots of omegas, and a little salt. Sometimes I add lemon too.

Another good one is carmelized carrots: steam of boil the carrots ultil they are easily pierced with a fork, then toss with 1 TBS smart balance and 2 tsp brown sugar. I guarantee your picky eaters will love this!

And NEVER EVER used canned veggies - that is the quickest way to get anyone to hate vegetables. And only use frozen if it's absolutely necessary. There really is nothing like fresh vegetables.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For picky eaters, spaghetti squash is pretty good-- you can bake up a big one, and then just vary the toppings you put on it. Lots of people do spaghetti sauce, but you can do salsa and sour cream, italian or ceasar dressing, or BBQ sauce (find one without a ton of sugar, and use sparingly!) and lowfat cheese.

It's great by itself, too, with some onions sauteed in a little olive oil, and maybe a few hot peppers tossed in, if you like.
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump for later... thanks!
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i dont think you NEED the olive oil- i spray a little pam on the pan and on the tops before putting on the spices and they don't stick at all.

also, turn them about halfway through to cook evenly
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just had this one for dinner!

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (or you could put in the whole garlic with a few drops of EVOO and roast it...MMMM)
    4 teaspoons dried rosemary
    4 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 red pepper cut into thick slices
    ground black pepper and salt to taste

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    In a large baking dish, toss the red potatoes with 1/2 the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and 1/2 the kosher salt. Cover with aluminum foil.
    Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix in the asparagus, remaining olive oil, and remaining salt. Cover, and continue cooking 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Remove foil, and continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned. Season with pepper to serve.