Tips on squats?

Options
Just looking for some advice about how to get a really effective squat! I feel almost no burn when I do them, so I know I'm doing something wrong.

Any tips, help, would be great!!
Deanna

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Put some weight on your back
  • ldicocco
    ldicocco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Squat down until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor
    If you don’t go down that far, you’re cheating yourself and doing a fake squat. Go way down, and you’ll feel it in every muscle in your leg. This will give you a really strong core along with strong legs and a strong back.
    Try not to extend your knees past your toes. If you’re doing the squats right, you should be sitting back with your *kitten* out and back straight, Don’t arch your back. Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, and point your toes slightly outward.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    For most natural labor and delivery, the squatting position works well and so does being on all fours.

Oh, and weighted squats are good for those not pregnant.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It not really a "feel the burn" type of exercise
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It not really a "feel the burn" type of exercise

widowmakers
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Put some weight on your back

This. When you're not pregnant, obviously.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Squat down until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor
    If you don’t go down that far, you’re cheating yourself and doing a fake squat. Go way down, and you’ll feel it in every muscle in your leg. This will give you a really strong core along with strong legs and a strong back.
    Try not to extend your knees past your toes. If you’re doing the squats right, you should be sitting back with your *kitten* out and back straight, Don’t arch your back. Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, and point your toes slightly outward.

DO arch your back
    DON'T worry about knees extending past toes during the squat
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    keep your heels flat on the floor too....
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    keep your back tight, chest up, hind end out, and weight on your heels
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Here is a great video series on squat technique that someone sent me the other day

http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-squat-parts-1-5/
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I feel the burn when I put my weight on my heels, enough to wiggle my toes for the duration of the squat.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - my profile pic is decieving I guess - it was a year ago, not prego anymore.

So the legs parallel to the floor, but what if I'm going to fall over when I get that low - any tips to get strong enough to be able to go that low in the first place?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'll make this a little more clear:

- Feet shoulder width apart
    - Bar should rest on your traps, not on the base of your neck
    - When at the top of squat, do not lock legs out or throw hips forward
    - When lowering into squat, keep your butt back as if you are sitting down into a chair (practice without weight first)
    - Bottom of squat should be hamstrings parallel to floor or as far as you can go safely until you get the hang of proper form
    - Throughout entire motion, keep chest up and shoulders back (back will be slightly arched if you're keep chest up, shoulders back, and back strong)
    - Push through your heels on the way back up, stay on your heels throughout, not on toes or balls of feet.

Hope this helps.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Never do this

stupid.jpg
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me use the bench, stand over the end with your feet shoulder width apart (as though you are goint to sit on the end) and squat till your *kitten* touches the bench. Make sure your weight is on your heels, not on your toes. Squat and stand.
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    obviously you're doing it wrong. or not enough reps. or not holding a weight at your chest when you do them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just to (re)state the obvious, I don't think starting out barbell back squats for the very first time while pregnant is a very good idea. Body weight squats maybe.

But after the baby is born, i would highly, highly recommend them!
  • Dreawolf
    Dreawolf Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out this link, http://youtu.be/zPBF1EMHGoE
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - my profile pic is decieving I guess - it was a year ago, not prego anymore.

So the legs parallel to the floor, but what if I'm going to fall over when I get that low - any tips to get strong enough to be able to go that low in the first place?

Start small, go as low as you can and aim lower each time.