Biggest Loser thoughts

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Obesity is not the result of laziness and I am surprised to hear that answer in a forum here. There are so many reasons a person is obese that to just say laziness is ignorant and even discriminatory. You don't know another person's journey unless you walk in their shoes you should not just outright like that.

sorry, it's the results of carbs and insulin, my bads
  • chubbyspice
    chubbyspice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I detest that show! They have these people in sports bras and no shirt on national television parading them around like the fat lady in the circus! Then humilate them by getting on a truck scale for all to see their girth, then make comments wow you are the biggest person EVER on the show! It makes me sick! I would like them to try that on a bunch of alcoholics and see how much they drink a day and get them on a breathlizer all drunk and parading them around!

Then the awesome ending of the series is the weight loss they basically brow beat them into losing, with tough love and public humilation! Just all around disgusting to me. Like alcoholics and drug addicts, they have to WANT to get help and make changes in their lives. Improving yourself comes from within, it is a personal battle, and with loving family and friends you can find positive support to keep on going.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh, the psychology! I wish they would cut that stuff. Every few seconds, a contestant is crying about something, and it turns into impromptu therapy. That's when I read or do something else. Maybe I would be more sympathetic if they were not constantly crying about something. I agree weight loss is mental as well as physical, but come on. Sometimes they burn more calories crying than they do working out.

I totally agree! I think they need to bring in a real psychologist and have a sit down session, not a meltdown during a work out. That is not going to fix anything.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Obesity is not the result of laziness and I am surprised to hear that answer in a forum here. There are so many reasons a person is obese that to just say laziness is ignorant and even discriminatory. You don't know another person's journey unless you walk in their shoes you should not just outright like that.

sorry, it's the results of carbs and insulin, my bads

It is purely glnadular, no ones fault...

They didnt get fat by looking at food thats for sure.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options

If they wanted to change, why didn't they? Why were they still obese? Laziness?

Looking at your picture I'm going to assume you are in excellent health and have never been overweight. So, with all sincerity, don't insult people if you don't know their stories. You keep calling people lazy and lacking in motivation. That isn't always true and for you to just generalize all obese people that way is horrible.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I was pretty upset about the show this week as well. People lost 2 lbs and probably gained a TON of muscle, and their trainers are acting like they didn't do good enough. Also, the junk food thing was total BS!!
  • bf43285
    bf43285 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    we also cracked up last night because they kept making a big deal about the 4 hours of TV that kids watch....and the show itself is 2 hours long.

Thought this too. I added the two hours I already watched after work and before going to the gym then the two the show was and watched four hours myself.

I totally LOVED the deck of card workout and definitely LOLed at the ACE OF BURPEES!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Good point!
  • Acg67
    Options

Looking at your picture I'm going to assume you are in excellent health and have never been overweight. So, with all sincerity, don't insult people if you don't know their stories. You keep calling people lazy and lacking in motivation. That isn't always true and for you to just generalize all obese people that way is horrible.

You just judged me, but i have been obese

All their hard work and motivation sure yielded awesome results
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I seen the preview of this last week and was a bit sick to my stomach over it. Just like I tell people who try to tell me it's ok to have 1 bite of something, or that it's ok to splurge. It isn't ok for an alcoholic to have 1 sip and it isn't ok for an alcoholic to splurge on a beer, so why is it ok for a food addict to do these things?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I love the show but last night was one of the better shows. The game show contest and putting fools in a room for 4.5 hours was horrible. It was like the trainers had the night off as they were rarely seen last night. The bubble gum run was whack. I hope the show gets back on track next week.
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I really like watching the Biggest Loser! I loved the idea to do exercises to a deck of cards...definitely thinking about trying that sometime!

Please explain! Sounds different :glasses:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Being stuck in the room for 4.5 hours with junk food was cruel.

It did make think about not eating junk food anymore.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love the show, it's like a parody of modern western culture. A reality TV competition to lose weight and win money. That is just genius, and it's funny to see all of them wobbling around. Makes you feel better about yourself, no?

Well, if that is how you feel...you can just look at my picture and read about my struggles and success....will that make you feel better about yourself.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Until you were no longer obese, you were "still" obese. If they were so lazy and didn't want to improve on their fitness, they would not have went through the trouble of auditioning and going the ridiculous hard work that is required for that show. Narrowmindedness, has no place in forward thinking.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It makes me sick to my stomach they made the blue team feel like failures for "only" losing 2 pounds in a week. I wanted to punch Dolvett when he says "Yeah you guys lost weight and all, BUT...." and goes off saying how that does not reflect the hard work they did. Please.

And if I was locked in that room for 4 hours? I would not laze around. I'd get off my butt and do some bodyweight exercises! I'd run in place!! Anything but lay there! I thought it was stupid that nobody thought of that until Bob told them they were going to do their last chance workout there. Hello!!! You don't need a gym to work out!
  • Acg67
    Options

Until you were no longer obese, you were "still" obese. If they were so lazy and didn't want to improve on their fitness, they would not have went through the trouble of auditioning and going the ridiculous hard work that is required for that show. Narrowmindedness, has no place in forward thinking.

Too bad they didn't go through the trouble of eating less and working out and sticking with that, wonder what got them off their ample butts, tv "fame" and large cash prize perhaps?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I can't believe they piled food on the air hockey table instead of playing! Double puck air hockey FTW!!

Maybe they just didn't show it, but would have been playing with the pinball machines and video games, as well.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It makes me sick to my stomach they made the blue team feel like failures for "only" losing 2 pounds in a week. I wanted to punch Dolvett when he says "Yeah you guys lost weight and all, BUT...." and goes off saying how that does not reflect the hard work they did. Please.

And if I was locked in that room for 4 hours? I would not laze around. I'd get off my butt and do some bodyweight exercises! I'd run in place!! Anything but lay there! I thought it was stupid that nobody thought of that until Bob told them they were going to do their last chance workout there. Hello!!! You don't need a gym to work out!

They were told they were not allowed to work out in that room
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Food addiction? More like they make crappy decisions and and too lazy to exercise a modicum of will power to not continually overeat

Actually, it isn't that simple. I am not giving myself an excuse but I do eat a lot when I'm stressed out. It started when I was in 3rd grade and I am 40 years old. In 3rd grade, I had an horrible teacher that would scream at us everyday. Came back home with a splitting headache every day. My mother (of 5), did not have time for me so she would tell me to eat a snack and watch TV while she was preparing dinner. I realised this I think when I was 26 years old and I still have a hard time to NOT EAT when stressed out. I don't see it as an addiction or a disease but a dirty habit that won't quit. I have been working on it for 14 years now and it is still a challenge. Maybe you are stronger than all of us emotional eaters and it is your right to juge us but...