favorite vegetarian meal??

Options
What are some of your your favorite vegetarian meals? Just looking for some new filling, healthy ideas and recipes! I've been getting a few off of Pinterest as well :)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Cheese and spinach stuffed portobellos, has the same flavors of lasagna:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cheese_spinach_stuffed_portobellos.html
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    taco pie, stir fry, and burritos, im trying to get more ideas too
  • joimichele
    Options
    bump
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Baked Eggplant Parm with lowfat mozzarella and breaded with whipped eggwhites (it helps keep the bread crumbs on better)

Baked Zuccini Boats

Leak soup in the crock pot

Whole wheat pizza with tons of veggies (i get the premade wheat dough from trader joes or fresh and easy)
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with either: Beans and cheese, coleslaw or cottage cheese.

Egg on toast, scrambled or poached.

Pasta with a tomato based sauce and whatever veg is around the house.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Doughnuts and Coffee
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Minnesota Wild Rice Soup. Enchiladas. Curries. Tempeh Wings. Quinoa stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage. I have found ways of creating just about any meal I want without meat, and without having to use crazy processed ingredients. You just need to think about what flavors work together, vegetarian cooking does not have to be boring or bland.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Margherita pizza and beer
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Falafel sandwich
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to pick a favorite, as I am a huge bean fan/eater. But when I read your question, cajun red beans and rice immediately came to mind so I'll with that as my favorite-of-the-day.

It's also pretty hard to be beat traditional (at least in my neck of the woods) beans and greens, which is a bowl of soupy pinto beans, a side of collard greens and always served with fresh chopped onion and cornbread. Such a great comfort food!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Every meal I eat is vegetarian...
    I love pad Thai, burritos, nachos, ravioli, omelettes, collards and greens, I love steamed veggies with tempeh, boca burgers and yam fries, egg sandwhiches.... Pho, enchiladas, tamales, grand Parisian salads, mashed potatoes, tofu scramble...palak, saag, channa masala, Bombay biryani, gomen and injera, nori rolls, miso soup, pizza, falafel, hummus, I eat baba ganoush by the spoonful.....

Ok. I'm hungry now and want all the foods.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bacon :laugh:

I did used to be vegetarian so I have a ton of recipes up my sleeve. I loved baked potatoes with different toppings: black beans, salsa, cheese, grilled veggies

Veggie lasagna with yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms (portobello diced is my fav), roasted tomatoes, olives for a salty taste. I would avoid strong tasting veggies like broccoli, unless you pre-roast to mellow the flavor. Edit to add: I've done the same mix of veggies just tossed in a pan with the ricotta cheese mix for the lasagna but no noodles and man is it good!

Lemon pasta: sautee red bell pepper, sliced onions and sliced mushrooms in olive oil or a combo of olive oil and butter. Once everything is translucent looking, add juice of one lemon and diced parsley (I usually add some red pepper flakes too but you can omit), once the lemon juice has reduced by about 1/3, add cooked al-dente pasta of your choice and allow the sauce to sort of cook into the noodles
  • chtownsend
    Options
    Quinoa salad! It's so easy, cheap, balanced, and delicious. Quinoa is a complete protein and way easier to make correctly than brown rice. I just roast or steam a couple different types of veggies and toss them in with quiona and some salt and pepper. My favorites to add are broccoli, orange bell pepper, and red onion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Quinoa salad! It's so easy, cheap, balanced, and delicious. Quinoa is a complete protein and way easier to make correctly than brown rice. I just roast or steam a couple different types of veggies and toss them in with quiona and some salt and pepper. My favorites to add are broccoli, orange bell pepper, and red onion.

I love quinoa salad, though I make a cold salad. Just cook the quinoa, chill and add chopped fresh veggies, cooked beans and a vinaigrette dressing. I like to make it with red quinoa and white beans, or white quinoa with red or black beans, just because it looks prettier.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Mac & Cheese
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ooh I thought of something else: what about a fancy salad. I usually makes these at holidays but they're awesome all the time. The basic formula is lettuce, fruit, nut, cheese.

Examples:

Mixed greens, dried cranberries and apples, toasted pecans and goat cheese, balsamic dressing
    Romaine, strawberries, walnuts, Blue cheese, strawberry or raspberry dressing
    Arugula, pears, pistachios, cheddar and a honey/apple cider vinegar dressing
  • shannonS108
    shannonS108 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Veggie Chili.

I combine these ingrediants in a crockpot and let it sit on low for 8 hours while I'm at work. You can mix and match other vegetables. It makes about 3 servings, and has about 200 calories per serving.

1 Diced Zucchini - Medium
    1 Diced Yellow Squash - Medium
    1 Diced Medium Onion
    1 - 15 oz can Chili Beans
    1 – 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 Cup Water
    2 Cloves Garlic – Minced
    1 Jalapeño Pepper – Diced
    1 and ½ TBSP Chili Powder
    ½ TSP Cumin
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cuban black beans and rice;

Onion, leek, and shallot soup;

Tri-colored bell pepper stir-fry.
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    cous cous, roasted vegetable, hummus and olives x
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Spinach and pumpkin salad.

Baby spinach, toasted pine-nuts, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta and baked pumpkin all tossed together with a splash of balsamic vinegar.