Anyone breastfeeding?

Options
Hi,

I'm new to this app but I'm already loving it.

Does anyone know if the app can allow for breastfeeding?

Thanks,

Nicky :smile:

Replies

• ejgballerina
    ejgballerina Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too. I'm also currently BFing and haven't found that the app accomodates for this.
  • _boobzilla_
    _boobzilla_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just done a little search at the top and I think rule of thumb is to add 500kcal to what the app says you should have.

Unless anyone knows of another way to all for BFing?
  • Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    search for 'birth-6 months' that will come up with something.
    I estimate how many ounces I get and it subtracts the calories from your day.
    it's estimated that every ounce breastfeeding is worth about 20 calories. typically around 500 cals a day is your exclusive.
  • lesliewenzel
    Options
    I was breast feeding when I first started tracking my eating. It is kind of tricky because you need extra calories while you are nursing. I did exactly what you did and I entered an exercise that added 500 calories into my diet. That way I could see how it affected all the other areas (sugar especially)! :laugh:
  • anniebell83
    anniebell83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    search breast feeding under food and it'll give you negative calories.
  • SMC_chick
    SMC_chick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Or just search for breastfeeding in the food search. There is one that I'm using that I think is probably the most accurate that just assumes 500 calories for the day but also gives you protein and fat allowances. That is definitely in breastmilk. It is 500 for the entire day, so I just stick it wherever I want, like a snack.
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've just done a little search at the top and I think rule of thumb is to add 500kcal to what the app says you should have.

Unless anyone knows of another way to all for BFing?

This is what I did for the first 6 months, after that my baby was starting solids and I knocked it down to 300 or so. Worked for me! Good luck and Happy Breastfeeding!
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am still breastfeeding my 20month old daughter. I don't add any additional calories to my daily allotted amount. The key is how many months post-partum you are. If you are 0-6 months post-partum you do want to add about 300-500 calories to your daily calorie intake. There is a setting in your MFP in your account information that lets you indicate you are breastfeeding, and it will do it automatically. If you are 6+ months post-partum, you don't really need the extra calories any more. One of the lactation consultants I got help from said it is actually a myth that breastfeeding mothers need more calories. I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence to support her claim. Most mothers I know who started Weight Watchers, for example, said they never lost weight when following their breastfeeding plan. Rather, they only started losing weight when they didn't add the extra 500 calories. Of course, this does affect some mothers' supply. I happened to be a low-supply mom, so I didn't bother trying to cut calories until I was closer to a year post-partum. Once I did, however, I stuck to about 1500 calories/day and exercised daily and I quickly lost the weight without any impact to my milk supply.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    by accident once for like 1 second when my little one was a baby....but, I started wearing a shirt after that incident.
  • _boobzilla_
    _boobzilla_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I get it now :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh em gee, I thought that pic was of you breastfeeding someone quite large until I enlarged it. :laugh:
  • MoparMom4
    Options
    LOL!!! ;)
  • MoparMom4
    Options
    by accident once for like 1 second when my little one was a baby....but, I started wearing a shirt after that incident.

LOL!!! ;)