Tips on squats?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So the legs parallel to the floor, but what if I'm going to fall over when I get that low - any tips to get strong enough to be able to go that low in the first place?
    Just keep at it and you'll build up the strength! :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - my profile pic is decieving I guess - it was a year ago, not prego anymore.

So the legs parallel to the floor, but what if I'm going to fall over when I get that low - any tips to get strong enough to be able to go that low in the first place?

Ah, good. And congrats!

If you feel like you're going to fall over backward, you are not leaning far enough forward. The bar should be centered over your feet the whole time.

Watch videos from Rip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
    And the So You Think You Can Squat series (linked above)
    And this http://stronglifts.com/free-video-how-to-squat-with-proper-form/

And practice, practice, practice.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Check out this link, http://youtu.be/zPBF1EMHGoE

this is worthless. actually it's worse than worthless.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Never do this

stupid.jpg

That is insane!
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    Assuming your pregnant from your profile picture (congratulations :D) Perhaps avoid weighted squats for now, for an extra burn you could try squatting and when at your lowest position do mini squatting motions i.e lift yourself maybe three inches then lower back to position at a fast temp0 4-5 times then stand back up, squat again and repeat :)
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI

Hope this helps. Congratulations on your baby. Take it easy. You will look beautiful holding that baby.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - my profile pic is decieving I guess - it was a year ago, not prego anymore.

Go as far as you're comfortable with. If you feel you can't get low enough, practice with an empty bar for a few sets to get the form right and see what it should feel like when you get as low as you can. Once your comfortable with that, add on some weight. One thing I try to keep in mind is to put my weight into my heels as I'm squatting down. If you focus on that, it helps your form stay on point, butt out-knees behind the toes.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    I'll make this a little more clear:

- Feet shoulder width apart
    - Bar should rest on your traps, not on the base of your neck
    - When at the top of squat, do not lock legs out or throw hips forward
    - When lowering into squat, keep your butt back as if you are sitting down into a chair (practice without weight first)
    - Bottom of squat should be hamstrings parallel to floor or as far as you can go safely until you get the hang of proper form
    - Throughout entire motion, keep chest up and shoulders back (back will be slightly arched if you're keep chest up, shoulders back, and back strong)
    - Push through your heels on the way back up, stay on your heels throughout, not on toes or balls of feet.

Hope this helps.

This is good info, even though she has "wareagle" in her profile name . Be sure to initiate the squat with your hips and not your knees (i.e. push your butt back to start)

Roll Tide.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It not really a "feel the burn" type of exercise

It's more of a I can't walk tomorrow kind of exercise. Squat like a boss, if you aren't pregnant.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with a few less-obvious pointers.

1) Your thumbs should be in line with the rest of your fingers, over the bar. The bar doesn't sit in the crook of your hand- that puts a lot of strain on your wrists.
    2) Engage your traps before even picking up the weight.
    3) Engage all your 'core' muscles to keep your back in the right position.
    4) If the bar starts going down, move out of the way and let it fall.
    5) Keep your weight centered over your midfoot. You should not be leaning on your toes or the balls of your feet. If you do that, your knees will end up going where they're supposed to go.
    6) Good form is always more effective than more weight, if you have to sacrifice form to add weight, you're not ready to add the weight.
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    :noway:
    I'll make this a little more clear:

- Feet shoulder width apart
    - Bar should rest on your traps, not on the base of your neck
    - When at the top of squat, do not lock legs out or throw hips forward
    - When lowering into squat, keep your butt back as if you are sitting down into a chair (practice without weight first)
    - Bottom of squat should be hamstrings parallel to floor or as far as you can go safely until you get the hang of proper form
    - Throughout entire motion, keep chest up and shoulders back (back will be slightly arched if you're keep chest up, shoulders back, and back strong)
    - Push through your heels on the way back up, stay on your heels throughout, not on toes or balls of feet.

Hope this helps.

This is good info, even though she has "wareagle" in her profile name . Be sure to initiate the squat with your hips and not your knees (i.e. push your butt back to start)

Roll Tide.

WDE!!

But valid points, I suppose..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Also DON'T let your knees drift inward. Make sure they are traveling the same direction your toes are pointed. Lots of people whom I see squat will squat down and as they push up, their knees come closer together.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    perfect-squat.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Check out this link, http://youtu.be/zPBF1EMHGoE

this is worthless. actually it's worse than worthless.

Actually her voice is kind of sexy.
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    perfect-squat.jpg

omg this is just too cute!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most people already know how to squat. They do it a couple of times a day when using the bathroom. All of a sudden it gets complicated in the gym.

My only suggestion is to make sure that the bar is not digging into your neck. If done correctly you shouldn't even feel the bar against your traps.
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sit back, push from the heels.