BEER

Options
I think I know the answer to this, but here goes anyway. I'm 6'1, 216 lbs, 55 year old male. I'm trying to lose about 25 lbs.

Right now I'm limiting by calorie intake to about 1500 per day. I bike 45 -60 minutes a day about 4 or 5 times a week. I do light weight training.

My one huge weakness is that when I get together with friends, I drink 7-10 light beers. This happens 2-3 times per week.

How bad is the beer drinking?

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot (beer and wine) 2-3 times a week and I still manage to lose. BUT we have a saying "beer is liquid bread" so I treat it as I was eating bread.
    That means, possibly very low carb on the beer-wine days and lots of lots of vegetables. I cut the flour and sugar and pasta stuff very much in order to be able to do this.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    tumblr_manlf3vgtc1qeg3czo1_500.gif

Do your taste buds a favour and drink regular beer, not light beer.
    You'll most likely end up drinking less beers (hence, less calories) and getting more sauced.

When I started my lifestyle change (NOT diet) I never fully cut out alcohol.
    Granted, I'm in my prime drinking years, but it never hindered my weight loss.

Everything in moderation!
  • bunyapine
    bunyapine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yeah, I still drink beer, but go for the low carb brands. The downside, I need to excercise more to get back the calorie deficit I need. I've given up eating a lot of crap, so beer is the one thing I see as a well deserved reward, but it has to be managed.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I count it in my diary.
    Guinness is your weight loss friend. That and booze.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just try to reserve calories for it. I enjoy having a beer with friends and it's not something I'm willing to totally cut out of my diet! If i happen to go over a little bit because of the booze or beer, I just try to be super mindful of everything I eat the next day and it all seems to be working out just fine!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not part of your question but i will mention it. Have not done the math but first hint says to me 1500 is too few on days when you bike. Plus, working out & drinking both depletes you of several essential vitamins and minerals so be sure to take a multi-vite and a multi-mineral. Trust me, i had something happen to me a while back and have been to every dr imaginable and noone knows whats the cause of my symptoms. Part of me thinks it may some kind of adrenal fatigue or something from drinking + exercising like i was 20 again. I would drink all day Sat then run 4-5 miles to "sweat it out" and that may have bit me. Okay, off the lecture...

From experience, you really need to cut down to two days per week, preferably one for most weeks. I went from a 6 pack (of beer not abs lol) 6-7 x/wk to 3x, then 2x. I started at 220 and got down to 165 but had to do some extreme cardio and limit beer to 1 night. Extremely difficult to go less than 1 day/wk so i like to run some 5Ks on Sat. It keeps me from drinking on Fri nights. I could undo all my accomplishments in 3 days of drinking so dont get caught in the cycle I was in for a while. I still lost alot of weight but i only got so far down in the waist which boiled down to the beer + age, i am 42.
  • bookgirl_72
    Options
    It's not the best thing to do for your diet, but there's no reason you have to give it up. Input your calories at the beginning of the day and carefully calculate how many beers you can have and still stay in your calorie deficit. You may want to exercise a bit more those days to increase the number. Also, remember that alcohol will dehydrate you so be sure to drink plenty of water the day of and the day following drinking.

Cheers!
  • GeorgeRyan
    GeorgeRyan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I know I have to cut down on the beer.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said to cut out the light beer and go with the "real stuff". If I drink twice as much light beer as the regular beer, I end up with more than twice the calories but not more than twice the buzz. Three "real" beers and I'm as happy as a clam. 7 light beers (not that I would drink that much, because I can't - or maybe I can) just makes me have to run to the bathroom non stop, tastes like beer flavored water, does nothing for me, etc...

Try having a glass of water for every beer - you will drink less alcohol and the water will help in oh so many ways.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to lose weight all I did was count calories. I aimed for between 2000 and 2300 calories a day and I allowed myself up to 2 beers a day. Granted I was in my 20s but I had no problem losing weight.

The problem I see with what you are doing is that on the days you are drinking half of your calories come from beer. That can't be healthy. I think you should cut back a little bit on the beer and up your calories some and make sure you eat plenty of vegetables and some protein.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also agree with getting rid of the light beer. Light beer doesn't get you buzzed and it doesn't taste very good...why bother. You might as well drink lemonade
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If I'm not going overboard with the calories, a few Amstel Lights some weeks aren't a problem. I really like Amstel Light, it's satisfying and has a clean taste. Over the holidays, I was drinking wine and sherry. Many more calories.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can't say how bad it is....but I LOVE it too, and have the same issue.

I've cut it out of my diet Monday - Friday if I go out I stick to water.

On the weekends I've started to drink a glass of water in between beers, it's helped me to cut down some!

Good Luck! :)
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    DO NOT JUDGE ME.... Got it???:drinker:

But, back in college - I did like to go out and have a few beers (shocker). I also did WW, so I wanted to keep my calories low, yet get the enjoyment of a buzz while drinking...

My BF then, now husband, created me a spreadsheet (such an engineer!) that we named "Beer Bang for your Buck" - meaning, a balance of calories to % alcohol, so that I could maximize my calories.

I don't know how to attach the full sheet, but here is the top performers in the Beer Bang for your Buck. The beers listed is only a select few that a website had posted back in, my guess, 2007.

The format is really bad in this forum, but the list is in order of Score from highest to lowest for the top 10% of beers.

Brand/Brewer (Country) % Alcohol Calories/12 oz % Alcohol/ Calories per 12 oz Relative Score
    Utica Club Pilsener Lager Beer West End (USA) 4.82 95.85 0.0503 100%
    Milwaukee's Best Light 4.5 98 0.0459 91%
    Rheingold Extra Light Beer Rheingold (USA) 4.32 95.85 0.0451 90%
    Anheuser Busch Natural Light 4.2 95 0.0442 88%
    Miller Lite 4.2 96 0.0438 87%
    Aspen Edge 4.1 94 0.0436 87%
    Budweiser Select 4.3 99 0.0434 86%
    Michelob Ultra 4.1 95 0.0432 86%
    Nordik Wolf Light Imported Beer A.B. Pripps Bryggerier (Sweden) 4.7 110.05 0.0427 85%
    Thos Cooper & Sons Naturally Brewed Real Ale Cooper & Sons (Australia) 6.77 159.75 0.0424 84%
    Keystone Ice 5.9 143 0.0413 82%
    Coors Light 4.2 102 0.0412 82%
    Milwaukee's Best Ice 5.9 144 0.0410 81%
    Keystone Premium 4.4 108 0.0407 81%
    Keystone Light 4.2 104 0.0404 80%
    Leinenkugel Light 4.19 105 0.0399 79%
    Amstel Light Bier Amstel Brouwerij B.V. (Holland) 3.96 99.4 0.0398 79%
    Stroh's Light 4.4 113 0.0389 77%
    Yuengling Light 3.8 98 0.0388 77%
    Harfenrefrer Private Stock Malt Llquor Narragansett (USA) 6.87 177.5 0.0387 77%
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Swap the 7-10 light beers for 3-5 Canadian beers and you'll be fine. :happy:
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Advise from a bar owner and someone who has drank my share of beer in my day, I have alot of male friends, and when they quit drinking beer on a regular basis, meaning several a day, or get off beer all together, they loose wt. and I mean wt!!!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love my wine, I have cut it down but still enjoy it. I have done lts of exercise today so I am not going to feel guilty tonight about going to the pub. Add me if you want a drinking buddy
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    a lite beer has approximately 96 calories.

7-10 lite beers 1x per week = 672 - 960 calories
    7-10 lite beers 2x per week = 1344 - 1920 calories
    7-10 lite beers 3x per week = 2016 - 2880 calories

Theoretically there are 3500 calories in a pound.

Therefore; I could argue that if you just give up drinking beer and make no other changes to your life, you could lose up to 3.3 pounds per month. [(2880 x 4)/3500 = 3.30]

Keep that in mind when you are out drinking. It will help you slow your pace.

I also agree with the suggestion that you have a glass of water between each drink.

Good luck.

P.S. I totally am not giving up drinking either. I'm just trying to keep it to 1 day per week max.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    a lite beer has approximately 96 calories.

7-10 lite beers 1x per week = 672 - 960 calories
    7-10 lite beers 2x per week = 1344 - 1920 calories
    7-10 lite beers 3x per week = 2016 - 2880 calories

Theoretically there are 3500 calories in a pound.

Therefore; I could argue that if you just give up drinking beer and make no other changes to your life, you could lose up to 3.3 pounds per month. [(2880 x 4)/3500 = 3.30]

Keep that in mind when you are out drinking. It will help you slow your pace.

I also agree with the suggestion that you have a glass of water between each drink.

Good luck.

P.S. I totally am not giving up drinking either. I'm just trying to keep it to 1 day per week max.

7 to 10 light beers in a single night? I'd be dead. :laugh:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

How bad is the beer drinking?

Pretty bad. But I hate beer as it is full of empty cals, very little alcohol and makes me bloated and gassy. I prefer spirits.

If you want to drop some weight and lose the beer gut, switch to drinking spirits, either on the rocks or with low calorie/diet mixers.

Cut out the beer and you will be less bloated around the tummy in matter of days.