Seeing your CW as others' GWs

Options
I may be slightly a drama queen but I get really frustrated and down when I see others' Goal Weights being my current weight or even 5-10 lbs heavier than I am now. It almost puts me into this mindset of feeling guilty for not being happy that I'm as healthy as I am. You know.. like one of those girls that screams "God, I'm such a fatty" when they and everyone else in the world knows they're tiny and simply saying that to get attention? I don't want to be that girl. But it seriously puts a damper on my motivation when I see that. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I have NO idea what my goal weight should be, so I picked a number that was at the high end of the healthy BMI scale for my height and age. As I get closer to my goal, I expect this number to change as I look at myself in the mirror and decide if I like what I see or not...
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some of us have far enough to go that we don't know what weight is best for us. Sure, there is a healthy weight range that you can shoot for, but I go by BMI before a specific weight. However, I can't choose a specific BMI range as my goal. I would love to do that!
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My first GW is my CW. I get to GW and then re-evaluate. Putting down that I had 80 plus lbs to lose was so daunting and created such an overwhelming feeling that I change my GW as I meet my current one.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Completely understand and that's why we have these groups and message boards. Some people only want friends who have "x" amt of pounds to lose because they feel like anything under "x" isn't going to be motivational or maybe make them feel bad? Who knows, but I wouldn't worry about it. I know 150 is the heaviest I will ever be and I don't look like I weigh too much. it's all based on how comfortable or uncomfortable you feel in your own skin! Own it! :)
  • luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It sometimes bugs me, too, but then I remind myself that I'm quite short (5'1) and maybe that person is 5 or 6 inches taller than me (and most people are). In that case, my CW is perfectly fine for their GW.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My GW is about 15 lbs heavier than most women my height have posted.
  • aefallis
    aefallis Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, frustrated, or down. I set my goal at 150. Not only is this still 45 pounds away but it was close to 90 originally. Like the previous posters have mentioned, I felt like this was a great goal to aim for and will re-evaluate when I reach it. You can't worry about where others are at. You've got to do what makes you happy and feel good about yourself.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down! I can relate though.

I posted a picture on my Facebook (my profile picture here) as a "before" picture for when I start Insanity and people were telling me that I looked fine just the way I am and asked me why I was doing it. While I appreciate it, I am still not comfortable with the way I am and I KNOW I can do better than this! I still have 15 lbs to go and I want to challenge myself even more.
    Just do what makes you happy :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I feel frustrated when people (of my height) see my goal weight as their starting weight.
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Some people also set goals in increments and later change them.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down! I can relate though.

I posted a picture on my Facebook (my profile picture here) as a "before" picture for when I start Insanity and people were telling me that I looked fine just the way I am and asked me why I was doing it. While I appreciate it, I am still not comfortable with the way I am and I KNOW I can do better than this! I still have 15 lbs to go and I want to challenge myself even more.
    Just do what makes you happy :)

I get this all the time....It's all about personal goals! Good luck on the insanity, heard it is a great program, I like Jillian myself but they all work for the same goals.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I feel this way a lot, too. I'm 5'8" and I see other women my height aiming for 140-150lbs. The heaviest I ever got was 142. I'm not aiming for a particular weight per se, but I'd like to get below 13-14% body fat and right now I'm around 16%. Some people lose weight for health reasons, some people lose weight for vanity. The people with high GW are typically doing it for their health. I'm a vain motherf*cker and I'm not stopping until I look like I was chiseled out of marble lol.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. But I have to remember - most of the women who have my current weight as their GW are much taller than me. (I'm 5'1). So that weight would look really, really good on them. Someone pointing that out made me feel better about my own weight goals.