C-Section moms only!

Options
Hey ladies,
I had a myomectomy (c-section) to have a fibroid removed 2 years ago and just had a baby by c-section (not by choice) 6 months ago. If you've had at least 1 c section and have had success getting fit or even in the process and are seeing results, I'd love to see your story (and photos if you have any) for encouragement. It feels like my flab will never go away!

Replies

• rodeogal1985
    Options
    I am sorry, I don't have a pic, but I can tell you a bit about mine. I had a C-sect in Dec 2010 with my son. 1 week after, I split several stitches. I have a little "fat roll"- as I call it- right above the suture site, and then it puckers where the stitches split. I fear it will never go away. . . but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that bad!
  • Pegasusonfire
    Pegasusonfire Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am off of 4 c-sections and well, I have a long way to go. But it would be great hearing stories about you all getting rid of the bulge. Though I have been told that little shelf will never go away.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    I had a myomectomy (c-section) to have a fibroid removed 2 years ago and just had a baby by c-section (not by choice) 6 months ago. If you've had at least 1 c section and have had success getting fit or even in the process and are seeing results, I'd love to see your story (and photos if you have any) for encouragement. It feels like my flab will never go away!

I still have a little pot belly in my lower abdmomen, but other than that, my stomach is flat. I had a c-section in 2007. My second birth was vaginal in 2009. The scar is still a bit numb and the scar is now white.

I just eat really well, exercise and eat at a small deficit to lose fat. I also lift weights to try and look good.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 c-sections in the last 7.5 years. I am 25lbs down and have about 40 more to go, but i have noticed the roll is not as bad as it used to be, however i seem to be losing weight off my belly more and not my butt where it REALLY needs to go. I finally did full situps just a couple days ago after going a very long time w/o doing anything but half crunches for fear of tearing something. I think strengthening the core will help tighten everything up there.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had a C Section back in 07 and just now trying to get back in to shape. Hard to think I can actually get rid of that pooch but I am determined to try! Some of the Ab workouts tend to cause the scar area to feel more sensitive even though its still kinda numb but Im working thru it!
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's been a really long time since my c-section (1999). However, I will tell you that I thought I would never be able to do a sit up or be fit again. So awful. I was proved wrong! When my son was two, I dieted and exercised and was in the best shape I had ever been in my entire life. The moral of the story is Never Give Up! It is possible to become extremely fit after a c-section. Unfortunately, I don't have scanning capabilities, so no pictures. (But I was hot!) Of course, I've gained and lost that success several times over ever since.
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My C-section was in 2007...I've just recently begun tracking measurements, including what I call my "baby flap", the saggy skin hanging over my C-section scar. Just re-measured after a month and lost an inch from that flap which thrilled me. That's with diet and general cardio mostly and daily planks.

Yesterday I had my yearly pelvic and asked my gyno if there's any hope for the C-section tummy. She said with diet/exercise I will see improvement, but the scar interferes with it ever being completely flat and any leftover saggy skin would require a tummy tuck.

That news was a bit disheartening, but I've seen too many success stories from other C-section mommy's on here to fully believe her. I want to prove her wrong, and seeing improvement in my own measurements is definitely motivating.

I don't need a 6-pack, just to level out and not feel the need to "suck it in" would be nice. :smile:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    C-sections in 1983 and 1986. Maybe I'm lucky as my scar is so low (in the pubic hairs) that you can't see it and, with diet and exercise, I have just a minor little bump that isn't even noticeable unless someone really bent close to get a good gander and I was naked. Even that little bump might go away with continued diet and exercise. Even if that remains, no big deal. I'm more concerned about arm wattle, lol.
  • maureenmcnameecnm
    Options
    BE mindful of what exercises you do as you likely have a diastasis rectii. you may want to see a womens health physical therapist or cater your core workout to accomadate for it. planks are great for it. avoid things like pilates pike like sit ups or crunches. you really can alter the shape of your abdomen but have to consider your muscles were cut through and separated. Very important to get them together before you do strengthening.
  • lilmsmayberry
    lilmsmayberry Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 c sections with my most recent being 4 months ago. I hate the mom apron. It feels like I have a long way to go. I have no advice really but just wanted to say that you aren't alone.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections. I posted yesterday in this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/760154-success-stories-moms-edition?page=8#posts-12820336 you can see my story and photos there :)
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've had two. As a matter of fact, just had one at the end of Oct. I am on my way now. I was 200 lbs when I went in to have my last baby, and now I'm 157. I started walking about 2 weeks post op and started doing 30 day shred 8 weeks post op
    (with approval from doc) and I am working on it. If you had stretch marks, they won't miraculously go away, but if you work hard, you will look much better than if not. When I had my first child via c-sec tion, I didn't automatically get in shape, it was almost 2 years later before I did, but I eventually did and lost 55 lbs and looked great! Like I said stretch marks didn't go away, but my belly was flat. I count my calories, do cardio, strength training. I love zumba and spin. If you don't have time to get to gym, start with 30 day shred, then you can move on to some other at home vids, like p90x, insanity. Or you can just run/walk with baby and do aerobics on your own. you CAN do this. A c section does NOT mean you can't be sexy, strong, and confident again!!

edited for typo
  • evinson12
    evinson12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a C-Section in June of 2010. My scar is barely noticeable and I notice my mommy muffin, spare tire whatever you want to call it ALOT more than that tiny scar. I lost a ton of weight after he was born. My scar is the least of my worries...it's covered by panties/ bathing suit.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I don't have a pic, but I can tell you a bit about mine. I had a C-sect in Dec 2010 with my son. 1 week after, I split several stitches. I have a little "fat roll"- as I call it- right above the suture site, and then it puckers where the stitches split. I fear it will never go away. . . but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that bad!

Boy, do I understand. In the hospital, I accidentally pulled of a surgi-strip and now that spot looks totally diff from the rest of the scar. ugh! Oh well, the scar is low, so only my hubs and myself have to see it :/
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pic but it does get easier. My son will be 2 next month and it took a while for my pooch to go down. I had to get a c-section since he was breech and it was really hard on my body. I think some of the "bloated" feeling is scar tissue but I'm not sure. I'm still working on getting my pouch to go down but it's been slower than my first pregnancy which was natural birth. It will go down, keep working at it!
  • JenS2586
    Options
    I had a c-section with my twins in oct 2011. My scar isn't very big because my boys weren't big [2lbs and 3lbs] but its still very noticeable. I lost the weight within 3wks but belly still wasn't as firm as I liked and now I am preggo again. My profile pic was taken a few weeks after their birth. I didn't exercise cuz my incision reopened a few days after because they took the staples out too soon, so I was limited to activity for quite a while. After I fully healed I just walked for a few months before increasing activity. And of course lots of green tea and hot lemon water, both are good for weight and healing/cleansing.
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My unexpected c-section with twins in 1995 has left me with this shelf like area just over the incision. No, It's never completely gone away despite being in better shape and weighing about the same now as when I became pregnant. (5'8" and 136). I never carried weight in my stomach before. It's like because they had to cut thru the muscle, it's all disjointed. It is disappointing in that sometimes I have to accomodate it with my jeans and I'll never wear a 2-piece again.

But that'sall right. My girls are healthy and on the down hill slide toward high school graduation. But new c-section moms should be careful for their incisions. This is a great topic. Thanks.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/753046-c-section-mommy-s
    This thread has some amazing before and after pics from c-section moms that have helped convince me there is hope.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    To reassure you, after my son was delivered by c-section, I lost all the weight and had a flat stomach and none of that hanging over bit that people talk about. I can't say the same now though, as I have gained 5 stone due to an underactive thyroid. But I can tell you that it is possible. You do need to do some sort of strength training though. Weights or pilates or both. Pilates helps particularly with the core and will help get that pelvic floor back into shape too!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section fully believe that YES it can be done. I don't actually think I'm brave enough to post pics like that but I will message to you if you like. :flowerforyou: I think the key is not to try too lose super fast and do some kind of strength training. Also you are young! Six months is definitely NOT very long. Be patient with your body- it has done miraculous things!