Tracking strength training

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    HRMs do not accurately track cals burned from lifting
    The additional cals burned from the amount of muscle a newb eating a deficit will gain is negligible

yeah,
    I just throw a few hundred calories my way...has worked so far.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The additional cals burned from the amount of muscle a newb eating a deficit will gain is negligible

Nothing is completely accurate when it comes to tracking calories burned.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So no one tracks their calories when they lift weights?

They don't, and they shouldn't. Lifting weights isn't about burning calories, it's about building strength which requires calories. Try tracking your gains instead and make progress that way. Remember every weight you used and strive for more reps or increasing the weights each time you workout. Looking back on that will be much more informative than looking back at a single workout and seeing calories burnt in one day.

JesusChrist, don't list to this girl^^^^^ She has proven herself incompetent on previous threads.

Listen to the people telling you that you can log it under the cardio exercises. Weight training does not burn as many calories per session as cardio but that's not necessarily why people chose that form of exercise. People chose to lift weights in order to gain muscle, get stronger and to burn more calories while at rest due to an increase in muscle mass.

Congrats on lifting weights for 30 minutes! You've burned 250 calories, even though you took 2 minute breaks in between sets. Congrats to the next guy lifting 90% his max! He's burning just as many calories as you lifting 20 lb weights because he lifted for 30 minutes as well. It's true.

Let's all track this!!!

Wait, what? Are we not supposed to take breaks between sets now? I'd be willing to bet the "guy lifting 90% his max!" is taking more than 2 minutes between sets. Or didn't they teach you that in whatever bull**** place it was you became a esspert.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I usually just give myself 100 extra calories for weight lifting.

Also, I have a BMF which syncs with this site to give me a more accurate (but not perfect) estimate of my daily TDEE (which includes all exercise calories including lifting).
  • sjohnny
    Options

yeah,

I use my HRM for regular cardio stuff like running. For strength training I use the figure MFP pulls out of it's butt. It's significantly lower than what my HRM spews so I figure .... whatevs.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Also, I have a BMF which syncs with this site to give me a more accurate (but not perfect) estimate of my daily TDEE (which includes all exercise calories including lifting).

I lift weights so I can be my own BMF. It has nothing to do with syncing to anything or accuracy though.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

And here is what that article specifies: (according with this formula I am burning more calories that what MFP tells me)

Weight lifting is a great exercise to not only build strength and tone muscles but to increase your metabolic rate and burn even more calories. For every 3 lbs. of muscle you build, your metabolic rate increases by 7 percent, according to West Valley College. This in turn increases the number of calories you need to maintain your weight by 15 percent. As an added bonus, after a weight training session you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 24 hours. The number of calories you burn during the weight lifting session itself depends on your body weight and the type and intensity of the weight training. Consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/#ixzz2I4nqp1ii
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I lift weights so I can be my own BMF. It has nothing to do with syncing to anything or accuracy though.

Do you mean BAMF?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

yeah,

I use my HRM for regular cardio stuff like running. For strength training I use the figure MFP pulls out of it's butt. It's significantly lower than what my HRM spews so I figure .... whatevs.

Same. And I'm quoting you because you made me giggle.

As to why HRMs don't track accurately for weight lifting: the formula they use is designed for cardio, where you're using your whole body and consuming oxygen throughout. When you lift weights, you often do muscle groups in isolation. Your heart rate goes up because you need to deliver oxygen to the specific group you're using, but that doesn't correlate directly to your (much lower) calorie burn. http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You can track your sets under weight training/reps but to track calories you have to go to cardio and select weight training.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I too add it under cardio, under strength training.

I do that and use my HRM to fill in the calories burned.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I count strength training as buring extra calories. I will scale the calories up or down based on how hard I worked though, for example every leg day my heart rate is way up and stays up just because squats do that to me. You'll get the hang of it after you do it a few times.

Good Luck :bigsmile:
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yep, track those calories burned. You earned them! :)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The mfp method of tracking weight calories burned is flawed. Its just an estimate. That doesnt mean you shouldnt track them, if thats what you want.

I have a post that goes into the math if you really want to know it (my tablet wont let me paste a url, so search for joules).

As to using a HRM to track calories, that is every bit as flawed. HRMs are calibrated for aerobic (oxygen burning exercises). Anaerobic exercises (such as weight lifting) dont use oxygen. Your heart rate is responding to entirely different things. Its just not accurate at all.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

To all those using HRMs to track their lifting burns, I just wanted to point this out again: HRMs do NOT accurately track lifting heavy weights and are not designed nor meant to do so.

I have a Polar HRM I use for cardio. I do wear my HRM during weight training so I can be aware of what my HR is, but I do not use it to determine calories burned.

A lot of lifters just eat at a set flat rate (e.g. TDEE +/- some %) for calories and do not add back exercise calories. Some eat at a set level on non-workout days and a set level for workout days. This solves the problem of trying to figure out what you burned. :)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

And here is what that article specifies: (according with this formula I am burning more calories that what MFP tells me)

Weight lifting is a great exercise to not only build strength and tone muscles but to increase your metabolic rate and burn even more calories. For every 3 lbs. of muscle you build, your metabolic rate increases by 7 percent, according to West Valley College. This in turn increases the number of calories you need to maintain your weight by 15 percent. As an added bonus, after a weight training session you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 24 hours. The number of calories you burn during the weight lifting session itself depends on your body weight and the type and intensity of the weight training. Consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/#ixzz2I4nqp1ii

For the record, I've been using this method for over a year now and as best I can tell (from pretty controlled and predictable results) it seems pretty accurate as long as you're honest with yourself about intensity. I mean seriously, anyone who thinks any of the calories burned estimates for any cardio activity are accurate is nuts. Even with the most accurate HRM's and all that jazz it's still just an approximation that we should be using as a guide. For strength training the above equation seems to yield a pretty reliable estimate.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Do you mean BAMF?

I'm just working to be a BMF now. I'll work on BAMF status once I've reached that first stepping stone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I pick a number between 2 and 6, inclusively, depending on my own perception of how much work I accomplished...(okay, fine, mostly randomly)...and multiply it times the number of minutes. Sure, it isn't the correct amount, but it isn't as if anyone else knows the correct amount either.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Do you mean BAMF?

I'm just working to be a BMF now. I'll work on BAMF status once I've reached that first stepping stone.

Baby steps.

In fact, that's what the B is in BMF: baby.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    OP- as you have read, MFP has two ways to log strength training. To get the calories burned, you have to search for "strength training" under cardio. It gives you something like 180 cals for an hour. I actually think that is an under estimate. But if you are eating 1200 cals plus exercise cals, it's a good route to take.

A lot of more serious lifters don't calculate calories the way MFP does. I just made this switch myself as I'm focused more on lifting than cardio. This technique involves figuring out your TDEE (the calories you burn on average every day based on your lifestyle, including exercise routine). To lose weight you eat your TDEE -20% (or so). On this, I get about 1700 cals a day. On days I lift, I allow myself up to 1800 cals. On days I do nothing, I try to be around 1600. Under this method, however, your exercise schedule is something you have to be committed to- you don't "earn" food for it- you do it for the gains :)

Hope this helps make sense of it all.