my problem with staying motivated.

Options
i look at before and after pics and i think about healthy/skinny me and i want it NOWWWWWWWW
i'm so motivated for the first month, then month 2 it starts dwindling.
i know this will take a while and i calculated it, and it'll probably take me a year to lose 50-60 lbs at 1lb a week.
sigh, i'm scared i'm not gonna last that long.

Replies

• caitlindrew422
    caitlindrew422 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I have the same problem. I just started tracking again last week. This time I am just going to have a day to day mentality. Focus on tracking today, drinking my water today, etc.
    It will take me roughly a year to loose what I want...and that may be my goal in the end, but each pound I loose will be a small victory. Each pound represents a lot of work and effort and instead of only being proud of my end goal I am going to own each and every one of those pounds lost!
    This time I am starting small, changing something here and there. I am not going drastically overhaul my life overnight so I will do it day by day.
    I will add you as a friend so we can motivate and help each other!
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I have the same problem. I just started tracking again last week. This time I am just going to have a day to day mentality. Focus on tracking today, drinking my water today, etc.
    It will take me roughly a year to loose what I want...and that may be my goal in the end, but each pound I loose will be a small victory. Each pound represents a lot of work and effort and instead of only being proud of my end goal I am going to own each and every one of those pounds lost!
    This time I am starting small, changing something here and there. I am not going drastically overhaul my life overnight so I will do it day by day.
    I will add you as a friend so we can motivate and help each other!
    thank you! i do need all the support i can get. and i will support you as much as i can awsell!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, what's going happen when you reach goal weight that's so special?

In all reality? Nothing special will happen just because you reached your goal weight faster. You don't get to "stop" doing what you are doing, you have to keep working at it, some say even harder than when you were losing.

Why are you losing weight? To be healthier? To look better? Well, just the act of eating more healthily and exercising (hopefully) will help you get healthier. As you lose weight, you will continue to get healthier. As for looking better, why not work on that now? Last year when I was at my highest weight, you know what really helped me get and stay motivated? Dressing well and looking as good as I could. If you aren't happy with how you look now, you probably won't be much happier when you've lost the weight.

I've stuck with losing weight/maintaining it for 11 months now. That's longer than I've ever done that in my adult life. I did it by truly accepting that losing the weight wouldn't change anything. I accepted that I couldn't lose the weight and then stop doing whatever I'd been doing. I also realized that since I have a lot to lose, it would be a lot more pleasant of an experience if I actually allowed myself enough leeway to enjoy the ride. That means I have dessert a lot. I eat the foods I love. I'm truly happy to say that I could eat this way for the rest of my life.

Yeah, some day's I'd love to already be in the "regular" sizes, but I have a box of smaller clothes, many of them "regular" sized that only fit for a week or a month before I started gaining weight back because I couldn't stick with my strict eating plan. I'm more than happy with the fact that I'm wearing clothes about 3 sizes smaller than I was this time last year. And next year, if I'm still not at goal, I will be more than happy with the fact that I'm another size or 2 or 3 smaller and keep going from there.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Well, what's going happen when you reach goal weight that's so special?

In all reality? Nothing special will happen just because you reached your goal weight faster. You don't get to "stop" doing what you are doing, you have to keep working at it, some say even harder than when you were losing.

Why are you losing weight? To be healthier? To look better? Well, just the act of eating more healthily and exercising (hopefully) will help you get healthier. As you lose weight, you will continue to get healthier. As for looking better, why not work on that now? Last year when I was at my highest weight, you know what really helped me get and stay motivated? Dressing well and looking as good as I could. If you aren't happy with how you look now, you probably won't be much happier when you've lost the weight.

I've stuck with losing weight/maintaining it for 11 months now. That's longer than I've ever done that in my adult life. I did it by truly accepting that losing the weight wouldn't change anything. I accepted that I couldn't lose the weight and then stop doing whatever I'd been doing. I also realized that since I have a lot to lose, it would be a lot more pleasant of an experience if I actually allowed myself enough leeway to enjoy the ride. That means I have dessert a lot. I eat the foods I love. I'm truly happy to say that I could eat this way for the rest of my life.

Yeah, some day's I'd love to already be in the "regular" sizes, but I have a box of smaller clothes, many of them "regular" sized that only fit for a week or a month before I started gaining weight back because I couldn't stick with my strict eating plan. I'm more than happy with the fact that I'm wearing clothes about 3 sizes smaller than I was this time last year. And next year, if I'm still not at goal, I will be more than happy with the fact that I'm another size or 2 or 3 smaller and keep going from there.
    i'm planning on still sticking with my plan when i reach my goal weight.
    i've been fat my whole life and i'm impulsive. when i want to change my hair color, i do it right away. i don't plan it out. that's just my personality, so the fact that it's a year long journey to get to my goal weight kinda kills me inside but i'm determined and i'm gonna try my hardest to stick with it. i really wanna succeed this time.
    i try to look as good as i can now, but that's not the point. i know i'll feel amazing once i'm the size i want to be.
    it's hard to feel good about yourself when you're the fattest friend in the group. and i've pretty much cut out my social life for the last 2 weeks because i don't want alcohol or fast food to temp me.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the big picture. Just commit for today. Do that every morning. i have a tough time to sticking to things and its going to take me over a year to reach my weight goal. and when that crappy thinking starts in my head, I just respond with I only have to do it today so go away, you will not defeat me today.

That's all I have to do is log daily and now that I have been doing that for a while I am exercising almost daily. But my commitment is to one day at a time and if I don't get my exercise in that's ok. I just have to log.

Blessings.
  • breakfree51
    breakfree51 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the big picture. Just commit for today. Do that every morning. i have a tough time to sticking to things and its going to take me over a year to reach my weight goal. and when that crappy thinking starts in my head, I just respond with I only have to do it today so go away, you will not defeat me today.

That's all I have to do is log daily and now that I have been doing that for a while I am exercising almost daily. But my commitment is to one day at a time and if I don't get my exercise in that's ok. I just have to log.

Blessings.
  • peopletalk
    Options

Blessings.
    thank you, i know it's silly to think this way. it is a lifestyle change. i just really want to succeed this time. like desperately.
  • grumps0001
    grumps0001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem. Im good for about two months then I get frustrated. Ill add you as a friend for both support!

Best of luck
  • ahansohn
    Options
    Its great to have goals, but make them realistic and try not to focus on the number. Set daily goals, weekly. WRITE IT DOWN. Make a chart so you can color it in as you go. Write a list of excersizes youve always wanted to try, and check them off as you do them, star the ones you didnt absolutely hate. Write it down on the next list until you get a workout you dont feel is a punishment. Its worked for me so far.

Add me if you'd like!
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I get the feeling. Try setting a goal weight attached to a certain date. Like a birthday or in my case my cousin's wedding so everytime u think about lapsing u think na uh want to be around this weight for my birthday or cousin's wedding etc. it's working for me =)
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Im one of the oldest in this group and while I have struggled in the past, i have never struggled like the past few years. I know my hip had a lot to do with it but i realized i had to stop dabbling at it and using age and injury as an excuse. It's important to me to feel good and feel good about how i look. I can say that once something becomes a "habit" or a lifestyle change, its much easier to stick with it. It is also easier to stay on the journey with support. I have a goal weight but there are certain realities we all have to deal with (which vary for each of us). That's ok. The fact we're working at it is the important part.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    maybe i should say I think i'm one of the oldest.