Red Wine - being heart healthy or a really bad idea?

Options
Ok I will admit it - I enjoy my red wine. I know drinking is usually not recommended when dieting but can anyone share if they have continued to drink wine while losing. Basically - will I lose if I still have a glass or 2 a day?

Replies

• GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually (3-4 nights a week) have wine with dinner. Depending on how many caloroes I have left- I might have up to 2 glasses. So yes, completely posssible- but with anything else- modersation is key. If you want to have wine at night, then log it in as early as you can so that you can save some calories during the day to be able to enjoy that glass at night.

Good luck.
  • williecruiser
    Options
    I drink red wine too. But it's Sangria, which is very sweet. I try to behave and mix it with Diet Squirt, which tastes great, but sometimes I still just float a little of the Diet on the top. Not good for the weight lose I know, but I'll but back somewhere else.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Adjust your daily calorie allocations to make room for your wine's calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I drank red wine consistently as I lost 30 pounds. I have maintained that loss for almost a year now and still drink my red wine. My "good" cholesterol is very high...while it can't be directly correlated with my red wine consumption, I must be doing something right!

Don't sweat it, just make sure you have enough calories budgeted for it.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love my red wine but find that I make poor food choices when I drink it. Also, since my husband doesn't drink red wine, there's no one to help me finish the bottle.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine and have still lost weight. I don't really think that it's all that healthy though. They claim that 1 glass might be healthy, but since 1 glass is like 4 oz, do people really stick to just 1?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is not nutrition...AT ALL! And, it's not healthy for your heart; relaxing is. Exercise hard, then relax.
  • taramc1970
    taramc1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments - I will try to use it more as a reward - maybe only when I hit my fitness goals for the day!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I love my red wine, and I lost my weight while drinking my glass (or a little more) most nights. Now, in May it'll be almost 3 years of maintaining, w/red wine part of my life throughout.....

I try sometimes to drink a little less-like maybe have it only 3-4 nights rather than 6-7, but maintaining weight is all about budgeting calories and making smart choices. I personally don't feel denying anything I truly love is going to help in the long run. That'll feel like a life-long sentence..
  • DietFemme
    Options
    I've lost 56lbs in the past year and I'm still drinking red wine. I don't really drink during the week any more, and if I do I try to have something lower calorie like a whiskey and diet coke or two, but I probably drink a bottle of red most weekends.

Juts make sure it fits into your calories for the week.
  • bechman74
    bechman74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Follow up...is there a "best" red wine for heart health or will anyred wine do? I am sure taste will play into it and I am open for recommendations as I am new to the red wine market. Thank you!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Cheap, bad red wine is really really bad for your liver and stomach, you need to avoid that. Other than this, the French who drink it like every day (even for business lunch!) are not dying younger and neither are they significantly overweight.
  • artesano13
    Options
    I've been mixing "pom pom" pomegranate juice with red wine. This, I hope, doesn't tax my liver and hinder my metabolism as much as a straight up glass of wine (or two.) The calories are comparable and I think the flavors blend well. I too, factor in my wine/pom calories early in the day so that I can make sure I continue to eat within my caloric range.
  • artesano13
    Options
    Good point. I know I don't.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Red wine actually is good for your heart. It contains a lot of antioxidents and alcohol raise HDL - the good cholesterol. Personaly, I don't drink at all. But if people include it in their allowed calorie intake it can be part of a healthy diet
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I must admit red wine is my guilty pleasure, i love it!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh I love red wine too. I try to have it only on weekends with our Sunday dinner. I had half a bottle yesterday :laugh: but I adjusted my calories for the day.
  • martintanz
    Options
    When you reach your goal, a liittle wine wouldn't be bad. Until then, maybe just an every now and then treat.