Vegetable ideas?

Options
The only raw veggies I like are tomatoes and lettuce (in a salad with dressing) and I like cooked veggies like corn, potatoes, carrots and green beans. What are some other good veggies to eat. I need to eat more veggies but can't find any I like.

PS. I do not like mushrooms or olives.

Thanks!!

I forgot to add that I like cooked broccoli and cauliflower too.

Replies

• MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Use raw spinach instead of lettuce in you salads. You can't tell the difference and there are so many more vitamins in spinach versus leaf lettuce. Like tomatoes? Try a fresh salsa you could toss this on your salad and even cut the dressing. You like broccoli? Try steamed asparagus in stead, almost the same flavor. You could mash your cauliflower. And my personal favorite. Try a baked sweet potato, :) NOM! Just a few ideas, hope it helps.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Use raw spinach instead of lettuce in you salads. You can't tell the difference and there are so many more vitamins in spinach versus leaf lettuce. Like tomatoes? Try a fresh salsa you could toss this on your salad and even cut the dressing. You like broccoli? Try steamed asparagus in stead, almost the same flavor. You could mash your cauliflower. And my personal favorite. Try a baked sweet potato, :) NOM! Just a few ideas, hope it helps.
    Not a big asparagus fan but baked sweet potato sounds delicious. I have done spinach salads before they are pretty good.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    If you like potatoes and carrots, how about parsnips? They're really good sliced up and roasted in a little olive oil.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Try a roasted root vegetable salad. If you're used to the texture of potatoes, I'm sure you will like it.

Fresh beets, carrots, parsnips, some onion, and sweet potato. Slice all in a similar size, toss with fresh herbs, a bit of balsamic, a touch of oil, and roast under the broiler for 5 minutes, stir and cook 5 minutes more. The edges will char just a little, and taste heavenly.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas and pea sprouts added to salads etc are an refreshing addition

Sweet potatoes and carrot mash is nice
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I can hide eggplant in nearly everything, wouldn't even know it's there. I like to pop eggplant and squash into chili or taco filling. I also LOVE kale! It stays nice and firm unlike spinach which turns to snot when you cook it :laugh:
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like to buy Steamfresh Asian Medley. It has broccoli, snap peas, carrots and the little baby corn. The sauce is light but flavorful. I think that's my favorite out of all the choices in the frozen vegetable section.
  • Jory2pointOh
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is really good.. baked in the oven.. throw some spaghetti sauce on it.. voila you have spaghetti with veggies!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potato is awesome.

I'll cube mine, add green pepper, red onion, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, then bake it at 400 until it's crispy. Dump it all back in a bowl and hang on for the awesome.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    http://www.superfoodcomplete.com/sfc.html

It is a pill that is a blend of 55 veggies. 6 of them is like 6 servings a day. I used them for like a year. I now like a few more veggies, so I have stopped taking them.
  • crystalrose1234
    Options
    raw spinach has an essential acid in it that can only be released when cooked, but try sweet potatoes and squash they are both my personal favourites and ii add salsa to my eggs in the morning look to a Japanese cook book for inspiration if need be
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eggplant, coated with wheat germ and roasted, topped with just a little bleu cheese dressing. Green beans, sauteed in olive oil with garlic and red pepper. 8-)
  • ATester
    ATester Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is really good.. baked in the oven.. throw some spaghetti sauce on it.. voila you have spaghetti with veggies!

I second the spaghetti squash idea. You can put so many different topping on it. You can have it sweet or savery. I just enjoy a little butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Delish!
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    I really love kale too. You can use it in place of salad greens, and it's really great for you. It has iron, vitamin C, and a load of other essential nutrients that you can't get from something like romaine lettuce.

Make sure to submerge it completely in water when you wash it, as it's grown in sandy soil.

It's a little tougher than lettuce, but if you dress it the night before it will soften a bit in the fridge.

It's great cooked too, if you don't like the raw texture:

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/03/20/sesame-kale-saute-with-garlic-and-shallots-quick-and-easy-side/
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Zucchini! I love Zucchini....throw it in with some broccoli and noodles and you have yourself a nice little stir-fry! :)

If you like salads, have you thought about throwing some bell pepper (green, yellow, red) in there? Or maybe some cucumber?
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The only raw veggies I like are tomatoes and lettuce (in a salad with dressing) and I like cooked veggies like corn, potatoes, carrots and green beans. What are some other good veggies to eat. I need to eat more veggies but can't find any I like.

Thanks!!

Broccoli, beets, brussel sprouts, egg plant, zucchini, turnips.

I love to roast my veggies. a little oil with seasonings.
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    Bumping for more veggie love.
  • lolo641
    lolo641 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you like cooked cauliflower , try cooking it well and drain and mash ( in a frying pan saute garlic , leeks and spinach, add the mashed cauliflower to the saute , also add 2 tbsp. of horseradish and 2 tblsp of sharp white cheddar cheese.
    THIS IS ONE OF MY FAV's.. just ajust to what you like , we use this without spinach sometimes too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

That's pretty much my list too, except I love mushrooms and don't eat lettuce. (Raw baby spinach leaves in my salad.)

Sometimes I will just buy one fresh veggie that I never tried before, just to try it. But that's not very often. Mostly I just stick to what I like to eat.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered mustard greens, I like the texture better than kale, and it has a slight peppery taste. I sauté some onions and garlic in a pan then add the greens tossing for a just a few minutes so they soften and shrink. Great health benefits, just make sure you measure and count the oil :)