Best HRM

Options
Ive heard about using a heart rate monitor since the calories burned on MFP seem to be off, but whats the best to buy? Im not looking for an expensive one, but I also know you get what you pay for, so whats a good brand that wont break me?

Replies

• KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In my opinion :

Polar FT7 -
    the best one

I "wasted money" on the New BAlance N4 which did not keep a connection for me between the watch and the monitor
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 recently and am liking it so far. I don't have anything to compare it to though.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    i don't know about BEST but I love love love mine. It does the job, it is simple, and it seems to be pretty accurate.

I have the Polar F4
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Do a search- you'll find lots of comments on this. Most popular seem to be Polar FT4 and FT7. If you look at their website you can do comparisons of all their models. It depends what features you want and how much you're willing to pay. Remember to check eBay for used ones.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 and while I don't have anything to compare it to I really like it. It's simple and doesn't have all kinds of features I don't need. It seems really accurate and I love that it calibrates with the machines at the gym. It was about $65 on Amazon so no the most expensive one I've seen, but still an investment for sure.
  • annakommers
    annakommers Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    the polar's look like the best but if (like me) you can't afford one i got a beurer pm25 and it does the job perfectly though takes a little getting used to
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it!
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    YES, I agree the FT4 is a good product - my running partner has one of those
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got an FT7, and at a good price from amazon recently. Loving it so far, only wish it had a timer feature you could use while also measuring heart rate (I haven't had it long, so perhaps it has a feature like this and I just haven't spotted it, but I don't think so).
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with a Polar. I have an FT80 that is pretty awesome.

However, a couple more options:
    I also have a Motoactv that is very nice. It is a lot more than a regular HRM. Think combo HRM with GPS, MP3 Player, Fitbit roled into one. The only con I have found is that the cheststrap isnt compatible with gym equipment whereas the polar ones are.

I do not have one of these, but they seem pretty flexible:
    http://www.zephyr-technology.com/fitness/

Basically it is a bluetooth hrm strap for your android or iphone smartphone. You can use whatever app you want.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you are in the USA, look at www.polarusa.com for guidance. It has sections Get Active, Improve Fitness, and Maximize Performance.

Assess yourself. Are you already active? You may want to improve your fitness, so look in that section, and it breaks down the various strengths of each model in the descriptors. I have the prior model of the RS800CX. That's the one that's best for me. Personally I recommend at least the FT40 for someone who wants to commit to exercise as a means to improving their health permanently.

If you are just trying to exercise to lose a few pounds, and are going to quit exercising when you've acheived your goal, don't buy an expensive one.

I bought mine in 2001, and still use it at least 3 times per week. so the $300 I spent at the time was totally worth it to me. Doing the math, my cost is about $0.20 per workout.

I logged 181 training sessions, 204 hours, 1,686 miles, and 120,748 calories in 2012. Uploading my numbers to Polarpersonaltrainer.com made finding out that feeback easy. That's what having a good monitor can do. If you want that level of feedback.

You have to figure out what you want from the device. Using the polar website will help you do that.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the MFP site is off on the calories burned (or used) because I'm burning lots of calories, but not losing much weight. It is true that I eat more calories when I exercise, but you will never find ice-cream, cookies, or candy in my home. My problem food is meat and fat, and the good old white stuff. I am working on portion control since the gastric by-pass and only eat 1/4 portion of pasta, 1/4 c of rice, etc. I try to save 500 calories for weight loss but it is not enough. I will join a spinning class next week. I don't use the heart rate monitors. I can tell I'm still burning calories because I sweat. I do notice my heart rate when I take my blood-pressure.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with a Polar. I have an FT80 that is pretty awesome.

However, a couple more options:
    I also have a Motoactv that is very nice. It is a lot more than a regular HRM. Think combo HRM with GPS, MP3 Player, Fitbit roled into one. The only con I have found is that the cheststrap isnt compatible with gym equipment whereas the polar ones are.

I do not have one of these, but they seem pretty flexible:
    http://www.zephyr-technology.com/fitness/

Basically it is a bluetooth hrm strap for your android or iphone smartphone. You can use whatever app you want.

Polar is also selling a chest strap that will use a smartphone app and connect with existing monitors simutaneously. I've been considering upgrading my chest strap. But I also use the Strava app, so I'm not sure yet.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Love my FT7--got it at Amazon for a good price! I had a Timex that was HORRIBLE at tracking my stuff (don't I WISH I burned 700 calories while on the elliptical for 40 mins! lol). I think I paid about $80 for my Polar FT7 though, so it shouldn't break the bank.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft4!!!! Its been very helpful and hasn't disappointed,