Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spaghetti

We are having spaghetti tomorrow night with lean mince and low fat bolignaise sauce. How do I find out how many calories are in it. All the spaghetti items on the food planer are strange measurements like (1 plate) or 1 bowl. I am not used to portion control so I'm a little confused.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    We are having spaghetti tomorrow night with lean mince and low fat bolignaise sauce. How do I find out how many calories are in it. All the spaghetti items on the food planer are strange measurements like (1 plate) or 1 bowl. I am not used to portion control so I'm a little confused.

Weigh the pasta dry, cook. Calculate how many cals are int eh sauce and then portion out for your serving of pasta or guesstimate
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    if you use the app...scan the UPC code on the back side. IT should corrolate with the info on the package.
  • Unfortunately this isn't possible. Hubby is making tea tomorrow night, and although he's very supportive I think he will stop short of weighing out everything. I'm great full for him making tea, so I'm not going to give him orders about do this do that. He usually dishes it out, but I said I would do it . I just don't know what a normal portion of spaghetti is. I'm a baby when it comes to portion control...
  • if you use the app...scan the UPC code on the back side. IT should corrolate with the info on the package.

Ah will try that
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Unfortunately this isn't possible. Hubby is making tea tomorrow night, and although he's very supportive I think he will stop short of weighing out everything. I'm great full for him making tea, so I'm not going to give him orders about do this do that. He usually dishes it out, but I said I would do it . I just don't know what a normal portion of spaghetti is. I'm a baby when it comes to portion control...

Don't let him sabotage you by overfeeding you
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Stick to 1 cup of cooked spaghetti, usually around 220 calories. Check the package to be sure. I usually try to eat whole grain spaghetti and then I dish out my sauce on the side.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Most regular packages of spaghetti are about 4-6 servings. Most jars/cans of pasta sauce are about 5-6 servings. A far as the lean meat, any protein a servings is usually calculated at about 3oz. so a pound of meat is about 5 servings.
  • and for a healthier pasta I would advise whole wheat pasta or spelt pasta. i personally love the spelt pasta,higher in protein and fiber.
  • msfalk
    msfalk Posts: 2 Member
    try 1 to 1.5 cups of cooked pasta and a serving of sauce would be about 1/2 cup. Then load up on some green veggies on the side to fill you up. Next time try cooking spaghetti squash and use in place of your pasta. You'll never know the difference!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Obviously this won't be exact...I do a spaghetti and meatballs (90% lean ground beef) with red sauce, and my serving is 1 cup cooked pasta and 3/4 cup sauce and 2 meatballs and comes out to about 475 calories. I haven't built my bolognese sauce yet in the recipe builder, but It's probably in the vicinity, maybe even slightly less since it won't have the bread crumbs or eggs.
  • Wow all great answers. Thanks for your support.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Does he just throw some pasta in a pot? Or does he use the whole package? Here where I live, spaghetti comes dry in 16 oz. packages, which is about 8 servings of about 200 calories each. If he boils up half of one of my packages, then he's making 800 calories of pasta. If you eat half the noodles, you're getting 400 calories in noodles. Does he add oil to the water? Some of that gets on the noodles, too. So you'll need to add that. This is what 200 calories of cooked pasta spirals looks like http://staticb.wisegeek.com/images/calories/calories-in-cooked-pasta.jpg. It's about the same amount of pasta as they put in one of those "healthy" frozen microwave lunches.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    I tried spaghetti squash a couple of days ago and used it instead of the noodles. It was very good, my husband liked it and said he was full after eating it. It looks just like the noodles. Less calories, too.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Just a tip: the calories in spaghetti can add up quickly, so I like to add 1-2 cups of steamed broccoli with 1/2 cup of cooked pasta. Broccoli tastes great with marinara and you get to eat so much more.
  • scorpia1024
    scorpia1024 Posts: 1 Member
    Good Tip @ Cadori.

Substitue the Pasta Altogether with Squash. Or Sauteed Peppers....