Tips on squats?

Options

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do slow squat to where your thighs are parallel to the floor, come up but not all the way up, then down. Hands go out in front of you. Do 30, hold that horse stance for 10 seconds then repeat. You should feel the burn with that!! Breath out on the down.

edit: feet wide. Think Jackie Chan.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    perfect-squat.jpg

:heart: this. Even this little guy can do it!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You've been rude to people on these forums all morning, trolling around from post to post.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The best squat tip: drop your d*** between your knees.

I'm really hoping this is a fake account set up by someone deliberately trolling.

Otherwise I just feel sorry for you.

Actually, that's a direct quote from Mark Rippetoe. So, I feel sorry for you for 1) not knowing that and 2) being incredibly, incredibly rude.

Do you have any tips to prevent the bar rubbing on your d*** during deadlifts?
    Use correct form.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    perfect-squat.jpg

favorite
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    c0292.jpg
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have started doing some bodyweight squats (10 reps) every time I visit the bathroom. I stand with the porcelain behind me and squat until I can feel it touch my butt. If I remember to do it, it's adding 100+ squats every day.

It's a killer after leg day in the gym though.....
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OP, my best two tips when starting are these:

1- curl your toes slightly, then you'll stay on your heels and not pop up on your toes.

2 - treat it like you REALLY have to go and a nasty latirene is the ONLY option besides crapping your pants. you know that don't-touch-ANYTHING squat. we ALL know that one. that starts you down leading w/ the hips.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Do ball squats against the wall. Push through your heals not your toes.
    Try doing 3 sets of 50 with no weight. Your quads will burn, if not then hold some dumbbells in each hand.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness_programs_exercise_library_details.aspx?exerciseid=69
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - my profile pic is decieving I guess - it was a year ago, not prego anymore.

So the legs parallel to the floor, but what if I'm going to fall over when I get that low - any tips to get strong enough to be able to go that low in the first place?

Practice/ Strengthen with wall sits
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    YouTube Mark Rippetoe squats. Watch & learn.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The best squat tip: drop your d*** between your knees.

I'm really hoping this is a fake account set up by someone deliberately trolling.

Otherwise I just feel sorry for you.

Actually, that's a direct quote from Mark Rippetoe. So, I feel sorry for you for 1) not knowing that and 2) being incredibly, incredibly rude.

Do you have any tips to prevent the bar rubbing on your d*** during deadlifts?
    Use correct form.

Step #1: wear strap on to gym....
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Op, here's my tips on squats:

(1) go all the way down. If you can't do this with any weight, start with body weight. It may help to stretch first.
    (2) I do them with my feet shoulder width, or a little more apart, toes angled outward.
    (3) make sure your knees don't buckle in
    (4) I think it's natural to lean forward a bit (we are talking back squats right?)

It's probably best to watch some YouTube videos rather than have people try to explain it.

I don't think you have to listen to mark rippetoe or fail miserably. There are many many many people out there who know how to execute a proper squat.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'll make this a little more clear:

- Feet shoulder width apart
    - Bar should rest on your traps, not on the base of your neck
    - When at the top of squat, do not lock legs out or throw hips forward
    - When lowering into squat, keep your butt back as if you are sitting down into a chair (practice without weight first)
    - Bottom of squat should be hamstrings parallel to floor or as far as you can go safely until you get the hang of proper form
    - Throughout entire motion, keep chest up and shoulders back (back will be slightly arched if you're keep chest up, shoulders back, and back strong)
    - Push through your heels on the way back up, stay on your heels throughout, not on toes or balls of feet.

Hope this helps.

Thank you - these tips are great! Going to work out now, I'll give this a try - see how my legs hold up tomorrow! :)
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    Almost as if you are about to sit, squat down as low as you can go but make sure to not let your knees to go above your feet when you are doing it. Sit back. Another option which I found to really and truly burn was to do squats with a kettlebell. I think I enjoy that most now.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It not really a "feel the burn" type of exercise
    I've always thought of it as more of a "see spots in front of my eyes, ready to puke" exercise. :bigsmile:
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while try and lift your toes off the ground a little; if you can't do that, then you're leaning too far foward. This is what the guy on Supreme 90 Day, and that's the squat rule I go by.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Bethabooo
    Options
    Maybe hold it mid air for a few seconds. Another way is to do the invisible chair thing where you stand all the way up against a wall and then slide down until your knees are bent, thighs straight out. You'll feel it.
    Edit: Oh yeah! Squats are supposed to be only on the heels toes off the ground.