Have you lost eating 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat ~1200 calories a day and have lost almost 42lbs since Thanksgiving.

are you serious?
    Heavier folks can lose more weight faster than someone smaller.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I started in April of last year, at 138, immediately postpartum. <
    Now this is me, at 106.6. I stuck to 1200 cals.
  • libbyskolnik
    Options
    I am having problems and my doc says it has to do with sleep deprivation! Your body holds calories, thinking you are not resting and need to store energy. Your body also does not process sugar properly when you don':smile: t get emough sleep. Are you getting 7-8 hours of good sleep per night? I have since had a sleep test and am waiting for my CPAP machine. He claims I will feel like a new woman!
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day. But I'm only 4'10" and lead a very sedentary life (desk job etc) so I really don't need much more than 1200 calories anyway. At least I won't need much more than that after I reach goal. I've lost 63 lbs in the last six months.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day, generally under, but I'm not really losing anything (lost 1lb in 10 days) I'm exercising too. Do I need to up my calories? (finding it difficult to go over 1200 unless I eat lots of the bad stuff), tend to only eat if I'm hungry. How do I increase my loss?

Maybe add in some protein powder shake?
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories a day, work out 5 days a week and have lost 23 lbs since September. I have yet to experience the need to gnaw off my own arm and am happy and nice.

Edit to say: I am 5'9" and started at 218 lbs.
  • SuperstahKC
    Options
    I have been sticking to 1200 calories a day and I exercise 4-5 days a week. I found that it is imperative to make sure you eat even if you aren't hungry. Especially if you are working out, you need to fuel your body so it has something to burn. Protein bars are great snacks. They keep you full and give you energy.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started off on 1300 but changed my goals yesterday, so MFP now has me on 1280. I've lost almost 5 lbs in 15 days.
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone responses are just what I need to hear! I have 75 lb to lose :) Thank you all for your responses! So encouraging! :)
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was put on a 1200 calorie diet a year ago by a doctor and have lost 65lbs to date eating that way. However I am only 30lbs away from my "goal" and have stalled for the last 3 months.

I have been upping my calories 100 every 2-3 weeks and currently am up to 1500 a day and seeing some weight loss. My guess is my body isnt happy living on 1200 calories a day and since my BMR is 1575 I guess I will prob be able to eat 16-1800 a day and still maintain. Its a learning curve :/
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    my net goal is 1290 but because I exercise I usually eat around 1,310-1400 which works perfect for me.I haven't weighed myself yet but I never feel hungry and I actually feel alot better since joining this side..1200 seems rather low but it works for different people :)
  • cm196250
    Options
    If you extercise you can gain back more calories for example i have earn today, an extra 840 calories to go along with my 1200 calories a day ,that being said I am not starving all the time,which really motivates me to extercise at the gym.i do not eat any processed foods or sugar items no sodas or even diet drinks.i am losing quick.
    I only stick to 1200 a day when i am unable to extercise. but It will work hang in there.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I lost at 1,200 but had to bump it up to 1,400. I was too hungry all the time. I eat every exercise calorie back. Curiously enough, I am losing weight at the same (if not slightly faster) rate.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs in 8 weeks - that got me into a healthy (not overweight) range. After that I couldn't do it any more mentally because I like food too much, so I just exercise a lot and try not to overindulge. So over the past year since I've started doing that I've lost 10-15 more.
  • wvtrap
    wvtrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options

are you serious?

Absolutely. I started at 299lbs. I lost 31lbs in the first 30days. It been a pleasant surprise.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I did and lost about 25 pounds doing so. I upped it for myself for no other reason than I got to be a bit hungry after a while and lost just the same on 1400 or so.
  • wvtrap
    wvtrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options

are you serious?

^ This exactly.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I lost weight pretty quickly on a 1200 cals per day plan, but then I gained it back. Now I am using TDEE - 20% to calculate my calories which puts me at 1600 - 1800 cals/day (varies based on whether or not I work out), I may not lose as fast this time, but I'm hoping when I lose it it stays lost :wink:

Whatever you decide, give it time, don't give up. Keep adjusting until you find what works for you.

Good luck!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

are you serious?

^ This exactly.

MY shock was coming from the fact that a 300 pound man can eat 1200 calories and I feel like a ravenous monster when I try to cut my calories that low (I'm a 4'11 female btw).
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I started in August 2011 at 1200 calories. I ate that or below and lost only like 2 pounds for months. I then started lifting weights and eating 1600 cals a day and lost 5 pounds in a month. Then I started eating 1200 again and my body stopped. 1200 is not enough fuel for my body to work properly, but if you are short and sedentary it could be fine for you. You just have to find your sweet spot.