How long do you leave it after a workout to eat something?

Options

Replies

• DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I throw a Protein Shake down me within 10mins
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sometimes as soon as I cool down, other times it may take a while before my hunger kicks in.

Either way, I don't finish working out until around 10pm on week nights and after a workout I let what I'm in the mood for dictake my snack ... could be protein, could be crackers or it could be my new favorite ... dark chocolate covered almonds sprinkled with sea salt and sugar.
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    must get it in within 5 min.... and 30 sec
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    According to Alex Hutchinson's book "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" eating within 2 hours of exercising is beneficial to recovery. I highly recommend this book, as it answers a lot of similar questions, and presents the relevant science-based evidence (or discusses the lack of such evidence).
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    I like to have chips and dip on the treadmill so I don't go in to starvation mode while I'm running.

this made me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i cant breathe.. help
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    dictake my snack

sounds like fun
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Coaches always told me no more than 30 min after a workout, something with protein is best.

yeah the professionals know their stuff...I agree
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No later than an hour.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like to have chips and dip on the treadmill so I don't go in to starvation mode while I'm running.

this made me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i cant breathe.. help

me too lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    According to Alex Hutchinson's book "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" eating within 2 hours of exercising is beneficial to recovery. I highly recommend this book, as it answers a lot of similar questions, and presents the relevant science-based evidence (or discusses the lack of such evidence).

What's the context of the 2 hours? What if you eat a meal 90 minutes before exercise? What if you workout fasted? How about if your workout is a 2 hr run vs 30 minutes of heavy lifting vs a zumba class vs yoga?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious is all.

Leave what? What are you talking about?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    within 45 minutes of my work out I try and suck back protein powder and water
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something within 30-45 minutes after a workout.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My trainer said to have yogurt of chocolate milk straight after working out.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

What's the context of the 2 hours? What if you eat a meal 90 minutes before exercise? What if you workout fasted? How about if your workout is a 2 hr run vs 30 minutes of heavy lifting vs a zumba class vs yoga?

Good questions. As Dr. Hutchinson points out in the book the work out intensity should be a guide to how much one may consider eating after a work out. A light work may not require any food, whereas a heavy work out will justify eating a bit more. The point of the two hours can be explained in this paragraph from p211 or p212 (I have a Kindle copy, so hard to pinpoint), "The key factors to consider are when and what you eat. For the first half-hour after exercise, the body is processing nutrients to repair itself at a dramatically elevated rate. After about two hours, this “window” is closed and the opportunity for any accelerated recovery is lost. This is where high-tech recovery bars and drinks can be useful, since they’re easy to have on hand immediately after you finish exercising—though it’s also easy to pack a sandwich in your workout bag." He then goes on to discuss studies that examined carb-protein ratios used by weightlifters and endurance athletes, as well as studies looking at food intake after exercise by those specifically trying to lose weight, and how insulin sensitivity is affected by exercise. He also discusses the popularity of chocolate-milk as a post-work out snack.

For further details I would encourage you to read the book -- I learned about it from a blog called Science-Based Medicine. While the book didn't have answers for everything, it was a good starting point, and an good read.
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    if you have really long work outs you may need a gatorade and or snack to get through then eat after within an hr a good meal with protein it is vital for recovery.
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    within 30 mins, I noticed that if I wait until more than 2 hours to eat something, I would feel tired for the rest of the day

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/Free-Youtube-Downloader-Pro/3000-2071_4-75329731.html >youtube downloader</a>
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    nutrient timing is irrelavent

This

That said I'm always hungry right after training so that's when I eat.

Nutrient timing is irrevelant with regard to weight loss but many suggest that for muscle development and weight training, eating carbs before (for energy) and protein during and/or immediately after will help with muscle repair.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    i typically have bcaa's intraworkout so no time. (not for any perceived benefits just because it tastes damn good :tongue:)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is not common but there have been a few times when I would stop at a store after a workout (about 10 minutes away) to get drinks for the family and I would be so shaky I had to get a granola bar (or something similar).... There is a time when it is necessary... in those instances, it should not be ignored.