Working out and gaining weight!!!

Options
started working out on Saturday and I went Saturday Sunday and Monday
I went from 172 to 175!!!
I do cardio and lift weights...please tell me this will pass...I'm getting discouraged!

Replies

• missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself everyday
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    possible water retention
    :drinker:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    -First, only weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning (after using the bathroom) and naked.

-Second you mention your workout but how is diet? How many calories are you eating and are you eating healthy (no fast food, low sugar, etc.)?

In reality you've only been at it for 3 days. Losing weight takes time, hard work, and patience.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and frustration!! I have been eating well, lifting and cardio 5 days a week, no booze for over 2 weeks now and I have also gained the exact same 3 pounds as you!!:sad:
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Dont worry our muscles holds water. The weight will drop off, when I first started lifting weight it showed I gained 5 lbs in a week. I no how you feel if you are eating well working out dont worry about the scale use your tape measurements.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! Relax! Give it a week or two before freaking out. :wink:
    If you're meeting your net calorie goal ea. day, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
  • KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    First off you don't get results in 3-4 even a week into starting a program. You will fluctuate a couple pounds as it is. For the love of all that is good in the world the weight does not reflect your over all health or make up. Go by inches, not pounds.
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you're eating right and exercising I wouldn't worry...I know that's so annoying to hear! :) but for real....at this point I wouldn't worry about the scale too much....weigh yourself once a week and take your measurements twice a month....you're going to be toning and building muscle...also make sure you're eating enough, sounds retarded but if your body isn't getting what it needs it will hold on to what it has...but by your progress you seem to know what you're doing....so I would just keep it up...you just started your gym routines let your body adjust...
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Very normal!! Same happened to me this week, put on 3 lbs overnight because I...

a) lifted heavy weights (water retention for repair)
    b) drank 2 litres instead of the usual 4
    c) consumed too much salt

You cannot put on several lbs of FAT in a couple days, unless you have seriously binged!

facebook.com/yummygalley

Dominique x
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My diet is prefect lol I've been here since march and lost 90+ pounds
    But I was walking and running....not at the gym lifting
    So now im ready to tone and build muscle :)
    I don't expect a loss already but I didn't count for a 3 pound gain! Lol
    I just want to quit (not really) why work out for a gain....but I'm sticking to it...just had to HEAR (read) that I wasn't abnormal and some encouragement!
  • sherrycampbell2
    sherrycampbell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day if you are, and keep working! Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so instead of looking at the scale, look at how your clothes fit. Keep a clean diet as well. Good Luck!
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to retain water, whether it's due to muscle repair after workout strain or to time of the month, etc. No worries. Just keep doing what you're doing and reevaluate in a week.

And it's okay to weigh yourself daily as long as you educate yourself enough to be able to keep things in perspective. Some people can, and some can't. It's entirely up to you.
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do weight daily....keeps me in check....but I know my body and normally how food and ect effects the scale....but I hadn't had too much experience with gym lol
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Hello, don't worry. Happened to me too. When you start working out, sometimes your muscles get sore, they retain fluid. Keep at it. If it's like me, after getting sore for about 4 days, I started to lose weight. In fact, a little faster than I wanted. Just stick with your game plan. It will be ok.