Only 2 weeks ... but I'm disappointed (VENT!!)

Options
OK ... I KNOW it has only been two weeks and change does not happen that fast but I need to VENT. I was bouncing around from about 172-177 since starting MFP. I would count calories and be committed to working out for a spell and lose 5lbs, then get "too busy" and get off track and back up to 177 I'd go. I turned over a new leaf as of Jan 2 and I am committed to seeing this through come hell or high water. I WILL be "Fit by 40".

However, I have to admit I am disappointed so far!! Whenever I have started a new weight loss plan / program in the past be in weight watchers, south beach or just counting calories, exercising more, I've pretty quickly dropped 5lbs (I know probably water weight but still motivating!!) and that was enough to inspire me to keep going.

Here is my "recent story"

Dec 22 - ~ 174lbs (This is like my baseline when giving mininal thought to calories / exercise).
Jan 1 - 181lbs (I swear I did not eat THAT bad over the holiday -- some of that was probably NYE indulgance and TOTM)
Jan 15 - 179lbs

So if my Jan 1 really high weight was a lot due to TOTM and an indulgent NYE dinner out, what gives that I have only lost 2lbs so far??? Is it because I have gained muscle or my muscles are retaining water due to shock from 30DS?? I've been netting fairly close to 1500 (set to lose 1lb a week) but eating back my exercise calories. For exercise, I have been doing a C210K program (about 90 minutes of walking/running a week) and then pilates and a few sessions of 30DS. I ordered a HRM to be more accurate about my calories burned. It arrives tomorrow.

I posted this before and got some comments about sodium (and I am trying to watch that now) but i am certainly not eating MORE sodium than I was before so I am skeptical that is a major culprit.

Oh and I am 5'5 and 38. I think I am about ~ 35% body fat (I get vastly different results from different calculators). I have a desk job, but I have 3 kids (6, 4 and 2) and I am pretty active with them and the house on the weekends lots of walks, housework, going to the park, errands, cooking, etc. Just laundry and carrying my daughter around is a kilker in my house - LOL!

Again, I know it has only been 2 weeks and I am moving forward with this same plan until the end of January to see what happens before adjusting anything (perhaps lowering calories or eating back less exercise calories). I'm more venting that anything else but if someone has a suggestion or feedback, I am all ears.

Replies

• FLBachatera
    Options
    Hi Sara!

Im sorry to hear about your frustration, but sometimes the plateaus come quicker. TOTM can make things fluctuate, as can stress, water intake and everything.

Just keep swimming, it will get better. The thing that you have to do is commit to a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets don't work, the restrictions and such will just get you frustrated and hungry.

Feel free to add me if you want to check out what I'm doing that could be different. I used to weigh 197lb and I've gotten down to 116 this year, and yo-yoed back up due to a stress fracture in my foot and changing my job. Also do you do any weight training? Adding muscle wont see the scale go down per se, but you'll notice it in your clothes fitting better.

Slow weight loss stays off longer. I started dieting in 2008 and this is the heaviest I've been since then and although I don't need to lose much - it's harder the smaller you get!! Im down to 1200 calories a day, sometimes I have a hard time staying in that limitation. Aim for 1 lb a week and celebrate the extras.

I hope this helps. We're listening and here with you!!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It could take 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust. Just ride the course and results will come.
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson is a trainer for Beachbody work outs (those at home DVDs). She put out a great article about why we gain after starting new work out regiments ... Check that out.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you focus on results you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    A desk job is killer on your metabolism. Do some research on sitting; it's a mind-blower!

I've created a standing work station for myself (medical transcriptionist). Someday I hope to move on to a treadmill work station, but I'll have to replace my foot pedal with something hand operated first.

Some bodies seem hard wired to maintain rather than to lose. Keep trying. Hopefully we will shift it to fat-burning sooner rather than later.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson is a trainer for Beachbody work outs (those at home DVDs). She put out a great article about why we gain after starting new work out regiments ... Check that out.

link?
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated.

Maybe it's two REAL, solid pounds that will STICK. I find I can drop crazy weight if I want to, but I can't keep it off. So... maybe you're making lifestyle choices that will stick. And it's reasonable and solid.

Sodium and water could be part of it, but I think that get's way overused as a rationale. As you said, if you're sodium consumption hasn't changed, your body has acclimated to the sodium so that's less likely to impact you.

Stick with it. Over time, you WILL See that number come down.

Best of luck to you.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You set it so you would lose 1 lb. per week. You are eating your exercise calories. (Good!)

It has been 2 weeks.

You have lost 2 pounds.

The math adds up perfectly, from what I can tell.

Keep at it!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How do you have your macros set? I have mine at .9/week, so I'm thrilled with a 1# loss each week! Your body will retain water if you're exercising and building muscle.

Keep doing what you're doing, log faithfully, provide and accept support. It'll happen for you!
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say much except that one pound a week for a year is 52 pounds. Keep at it.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    You set it so you would lose 1 lb. per week. You are eating your exercise calories. (Good!)

It has been 2 weeks.

You have lost 2 pounds.

The math adds up perfectly, from what I can tell.

Keep at it!

This is exactly what I was thinking. Not sure what the issue is here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    2 wks...2Lbs...that's solid, healthy weight loss right there. I've been losing at that rate for about 15 weeks...little more here and there as I'm down 16 Lbs in that time. The best part is that I'm learning about my diet, not dieting...I'm learning about food and nutrition and serving sizes and fitness...all which will culminate in me keeping the weight off once I reach my maintenance goal.
  • kkshipley
    kkshipley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm in my second week as well. In the first 5 days I was down 3 1/2 pounds. Weighed myself today and I had gained a pound without cheating.

I'm going to stick with it and hope results will soon pick up. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I need all the support I can get.
  • barbiesnd
    barbiesnd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you focus on results you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.

Nice........
  • damour_kim
    Options
    Don't give up....I've been doing MFP for 2 months and 10 days and I've lost 19 pounds... It can happen, you just have to believe it !!!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with a one pound a week weight loss, sloww and steady wins the race.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So lucky! You are getting 1 lbs of loss/week! That's super healthy! When I tried to lose weight last summer I plateaued for months. I would have killed to even get those results. Keep at it. Keep exercising hard and watching what you eat. Weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes you'll lose nothing for a few weeks and then all of a sudden you'll drop several lbs.
  • brenpa
    brenpa Posts: 3
    Options
    Sara, I feel your pain!! I, in the past, have had the same results as you .. 5 to 8 lb loss usually in the first week alone and usually a total of around 10 or a little more at the end of week 2. I've been at it for 15 days and have exercised 13 of those 15 days for at least a 1/2 hour a day .. if not more. I've been trying to resist the urge to weigh every day, so I'm logging my weight on Saturdays and Tuesdays. I was so hopeful this morning. In 15 days, I'm down a total of 3.6 pounds.
    I know .. I know!! The scale is going in the right direction .. and an average of almost 2 lbs per week is great!! But .. you're so right about those initial weeks' losses being such a boost to your motivation. I feel like I'm working hard and not seeing much in the way of results yet. I'm just venting back as well .. I am not giving up this time!
    If we keep working at it .. SOMETHING HAS TO HAPPEN!!
    Hang in there!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Now that's pretty friggin' awesome right there......