Help - Can clear a room, including myself

Options
This is really embarrassing :blushing: but I am looking for advice.

Since I have started back on the healthy eating, I have gas that not only clears a room, I have to leave as well (you know it is bad when you can't stand yourself....:blushing: :blushing: ) Thankfully my DH works nights so is spared most of the week but this is becoming a huge issue for me. I can't run to the RR everytime one is coming at work and my open cubicle isn't exactly private. Plus I honestly don't always even know they are coming...:sick: I am not having any pain or anything with it, just lots of oderous smell.

Any advice would be helpful
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Too much fiber, I think?
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite as bad as a problem, but I have noticed a difference for sure in myself as well. I think its from all the veggies. Maybe eat less of the gassy ones? Not sure how to fix it really!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you drink protein shakes? I've noticed that when I drink protein shakes, I end up with horrible gas. :blushing:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't drink Protein shakes. I am eating quite a bit of vegies but I can't stop that if I want to stay on the healthy eating. I am at a loss of what to do other than make everyone around me miserable.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Simethicone will help. Brands include Gas-X and Mylicon.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Add probiotics supplements. try ginger tea also helps. trust me I was the gas queen I thought my husband was going to sleep in another room
  • txvalgal
    Options
    Beano, taken before eating helps. If you are eating lots of fruits and vegetables this is a natural consequence, but your body should adjust. Watch your spices also. I don't know if you are old enough to know who Delta Burke is but she once wrote a book and she covered this. She felt it was too high a cost for weight loss, so she came up with her own diet plan that included healthy meals, etc, etc. Well, that fad ran it's course, and I have to admit, I was sympathetic to her cause. Hang in there, and you might research on Dr. Oz site to see if he has any helpful advice. Good luck and don't give up!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Any recommended Probiotics? There are so many to choose from that I usually end up walking out of the health food store
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    you can get the generic version of Align at Wal-Mart. Makes my stomach feel great. You should try to gradually add any new veggie. Eat a small amount. Your boy will get better as you eat more. The probiotic will help.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Buy natural charcoal tablets.... they take care of the problem wonderfully.
  • maulop
    maulop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you be lactose intolerant by any chance?
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Get an air freshener for your office.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband had several feet removed from his intestines so went through this issue. (It went away.)

First, it does get better with time as you develop more appropriate gut fauna.

Second, if you drink kefir, eat plain yoghurt with live cultures, or buy the pills at your pharmacy that are specifically made to do so, you will repopulate your guts faster with healthy bacteria. Ask any pharmacist about the pills (they sell them for people who have been on antibiotics. Many grocery stores now sell kefir in different flavors. It's a different probiotic produce. I culture it myself.

Third, they sell 'beano' at the pharamcy too. It speeds up and aids the digestion of things you can't digest (like fiber) that are stinky. You take it before meals and it really does reduce gas.

Fourth, if you make the effort and just go the bathroom around half an hour after each meal, you can reduce the gas load in privacy.

Fifith, see a doctor. There are medicinal products that do this too.

Good luck! It is both embarrassing and can be a sign that your guts aren't working right. Do pay attention to it - and not just for your co-worker's sake.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Finally (I just talked to my husband the expert)

He says if you eat a lot of fiber - especially when youj're first starting to eat a whole lot of fiber and aren't used to it - you have to drink HUGE AMOUNTS OF WATER.

He claims that if you don't, the words 'swamp gas' do not even begin to describe the problems.

I refuse to comment. :blushing:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It depends on the source of fiber and the kind. I found this website to be very useful:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodtip&dbid=194
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=176
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I know iron pills can cause this. Have you started taking supplements?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    some veggies make you gassy, and beans