Scale difference

Options
I weigh on a balance beam scale and I get one number and on a digital scale and get a different number. Both scales are at the gym and when i lose weight they both reflect the same number of pounds loss but the weight difference between the two is about 14 pounds. When using the balance beam I double and triple check my weight to make sure it is correct and i always get the same number each time. Does anyone know why this is happeneing?

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the scale. Do all your results with a Measuring Tape. Thats the results everyone will notice.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    One of them (or maybe both of them) is calibrated incorrectly. 14lbs is kind of a big difference, you don't know which one is right? I would get a third opinion, and then ignore the one that is wrong.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use a scale at all... use the same one. No matter which one you decide to use on a regular basis, the end result is the same. It doesn't matter if that scale has a difference number than the other because in the end, you still lost the same amount of weight. Although, I do agree with the above post.... 14 lbs is a pretty big difference. When I went from the spring scale to a digital many years ago, there was an 8 lb difference. It gave me a complex at first because it was 8 lbs more on the digital, but then I thought about it and it didn't matter because 30lbs lost is still 30lbs lost.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Track your weight loss with either scale - they're consistent. And it's loss that matters.

Then find a third scale and see what it says. You might even ask a trainer at the gym. I bet THEY know which one is right.
  • prettygurlphiz
    prettygurlphiz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I had a lady double check my weight on the balance beam and she got the same number. So i think i'll stick to one scale, continue measuring with tape and accept the weight loss in any form.