900 calories left and going out to eat

Options
At a Mexican restaurant , what would you eat? It's my second week.

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ceviche
    grilled fish taco
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have an avocado tostado with whole black beans (instead of meat) and a sangria. Maybe 2.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Probably chicken fajitas. Though depending on the size of the portion and the quantity of chips and salsa I'd be prone to eating, I would also limit the number of tortillas used. Chips and salsa are a weakness of mine.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No margaritas...limited chips and salsa...something grilled. No sour cream or cheese if possible...limited guacamole and ask for extra lettuce/tomato

Chicken/Fish fajitas are usually good.

Also, try to eat only half of your meal. I find that a lot of times authentic Ethnic restaurants portions are HUGE. Usually enough for 2-3 meals on 1 plate.

Enjoy! :)
  • HalfLiz
    HalfLiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant is a chain, you might be able to look online at their website for nutritional information to help you make a decision.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    chicken or shrimp fajitas...skip the tortilla, but have the rice, refried beans, salsa, guacamole
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not a chain. Thank you for the help. The guacamole and margarita is my weakness.
  • purpleheart416
    purpleheart416 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Two chicken enchiladas with salsa verde, chips & salsa.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not a chain. Thank you for the help. The guacamole and margarita is my weakness.

search the food section on here....there is a low cal margarita that is mmmmmmm
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I always do chicken fajita's & limit the amount of chips you have, they add up fast. Enjoy
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    Fajitas with no tortillas or sour creme or guacamole etc... Basically, Meat and veggies :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

With 900 calories I would just get guacamole and margaritas...and lots of 'em.

Truthfully, I'd just get whatever the hell I wanted to get. Going out for anything, and particularly Mexican is a real treat for me and I don't deny myself on such occasions...especially if I had 900 calories. Even if I went over I'd just be good tomorrow and be a bit under.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Chicken without tortilla/burrito. Skip the sour cream and quac.

Or a big taco salad without dressing. Add salsa. Skip the taco shell.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Chimichanga meal with a couple margs and all the damn chips and salsa I want.

I am going to Mexican on Saturday.
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    If you can, check out the menu online so you can plan. Grilled chicken, shrimp, beans, salsa, even guacamole should be ok. Any tortillas may take up too many calories that you may want use elsewhere like a margarita ; )
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas. Those chips for the salsa are EVIL! I couldn't believe the calories in the ones at my local Mexican place.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    chimichanga or fahitas....with lots of guacamoli...avacado is good for you...and consider it a treat....going out is just that....enjoy yourself and come back to the program tomorrow....:laugh: :happy:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajita skip the tortilla's, limit the cheese and if I were you I'd replace the sour cream with guac BC it's healthier and tastes a lot more delicious IMOand while it's high cal (guac) you have room for it & the fat in it is healthy. Just cos something is higher calories and fat DOES NOT mean it's unhealthy =) and most Mexican places make their own guac too and it's really good.

Also Fajita's are delicious and fairly healthy this would leave you with room for some appetizers or drinks

Also 900 calories is a lot you could even eat over 1000 calorie and still not be that far over and probably even still under your TDEE. I'd say the typical fajita order probably has about 1200 cals so you could even just eat it like it's meant to be eaten since the portions are kinda big and you probably won't finish the whole thing meaning you'd stay in cals.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would probably not let the calories I had left affect my choice. If going out to eat isn't something you do often you should feel free to not let the calorie count keep you from enjoying yourself.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Most anything grilled should be good. I only eat seafood if I do meat - so I do some kind of fish or shrimp taco, or the vegetarian fajitas, that way I control the amount of tortilla's I chomp on. :) I also go very light on cheese. No sour cream, I have some guac instead. No refried beans, I get the black beans and I don't usually eat the rice. (My boyfriend gets that.) Either way, there's usually a ton of salt involved (margarita's not withstanding), so don't let any water weight the next day freak you out. ^_^

And seriously. I count my chips as I eat them...if I do the chips and salsa. So I have like 10 and I'm done. (Figuring that's almost what a serving of typical bag ones would be.)

But if this is a special occasion. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with 900 cals left. :) Just have a good time and get back on track afterwards.