frustrated!!!!

Options
i will admit i have only been doing this less that two weeks but i have been literally kill:sad: :sad: :sad: ing myself on the treadmill walking at 2.5 on 10%incline for 30-35 everyday.. i have been staying within my calorie limit and yet when i got on the scale today...NOTHING..still a whoping 235...i dont understand what i am doing wrong..im trying to lose 2 pounds a week to reach my goal weight of 180 and at this pace i am discouraged and sad...i literally stopped myself from running in a wendys and ordering the whole value menu...any pointers :sad: :sad: :brokenheart:

Replies

• vickyywrites
    Options
    Hey, are you just walking? How many cups of water are you drinking on a daily basis? What kind of foods are you eating?
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Patience patience patience. You'll get results, I promise.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Resolve to love the person you see in the mirror at the weight she is now. Then start trying to discover what pain/emotions you are trying to medicate by overeating...do this at the same time you work on the mechanics of losing weight (diet & exercise). If you don't discover the REASON why you use food as your drug of choice, you'll be trying to lose weight forever.
  • DMV_Spicegirl
    Options
    I can totally relate, sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe switch the exercise you are doing, try zumba or kickboxing or anything else cardio in nature. But whatever you do keep your eyes on your goal. Bad days are part of the process unfortunately just hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Honey don't be too hard on yourself!!! I know you didn't gain weight overnight (although we all usually gain much quicker than we lose) so you can't think it will come off quickly.

#1 slow down!! If you are doing everything right, keep doing it right. You WILL see results, maybe just not as quickly/steadily as you hope

#2 don't make too much change at once, or it is an opportunity to FAIL. Start week 1 with a goal....do you eat too many calories at night? Have a weakness for office doughnuts? make week 1's goal no not eat after 7 pm, pr have zero doughnuts all week!

#3 Remeber- this journey is 90% about diet. Working out is an amazing boost for your body, and you can earn a few extra calories, but focus on the nutrition aspect.... you could workout for 4 hours a day as hard as you possibly could, and still gain weight. It is MORE about what you eat than what you burn

#4 Make sure you are eating enough. Google a BMR calculator. use several of them, and whatever that average number is- manually set your calorie goal to it. DO NOT eat less than your BMR on a regular basis or your body will not let the weight come off as easily as it would with the proper fuel for your metabolism. Besides, if you can train your body to eat 1,200 a day, or 1,500 with the SAME results, wouldn't you prefer the extra calories to fulfill your hunger?

you can do this!! Just don't get to caught up in everything. Remember, MFP is a tool to help you, you don't HAVE to go off their guidelines (and don't always trust their 'calories burned- before I got my heart rate monitor I would usually shave about a third of the calories off to make sure I didn't eat back too many calories) Keep doing what you know is right. Move more, and eat better!
  • Thrasherbabe
    Thrasherbabe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope. I've been working out really hard for the past 9 months and I have barely seen any weight loss!! I actually began gaining weight from muscle and my body has become more toned. You will get there... maybe try to mix it up every other day? Try jogging at different intervals. Good luck! =]
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Patience patience patience. You'll get results, I promise.

^^This.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary and personal stats but things to consider

Is your calorie target realistic - too low and you slow or stall your weight loss. Follow the link to see how to find your TDEE -20%

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

New exercise patterns can cause water retention as your muscles recover. This will pass.

Sodium in your diet - big cause of water retention. Need to drink more water to flush it out.

Did you take your measurements at the beginning? Shape changes are not always reflected on the scale - but if you are losing inches then you are doing fine.

Are you weighing and measuring your food so you know your calorie intake?

How do you measure your calorie burn? HRM is the best for cardio when it is set up for you personal stats. MFP tends to be overly generous on calorie burn estimates.

Be patient -it may take a bit of time to workout what works best for you but it will happen.
    If you want help working the "roadmap" numbers PM me and I'll help.
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Don't cry, it makes me feel like crying. Maybe you are building a lot of muscle. One pound of fat looks the same ( volume ) as 5 pounds of muscle. So, if you are putting on muscle, realize that muscle weighs more, but looks smaller. Don't cry.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Guess what? A lot of people who suddenly start exercising notice that their weight stays the SAME or even GOES UP for awhile because they're converting fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat!

Make sure you're getting enough cals so you don't go into starvation mode and your body can keep burning fat. So eat at least some of your exercise calories with healthy foods.

Keep working out and introduce resistance training (yoga, pilates, weight lifting) to make sure that you replace muscle that is otherwise lost by a low calorie diet (this will tighten you up!)

Keep going and watch what happens... the drops are coming!!!!

Also measure your body size with a few different measurements to track progress that's happening even when it's not showing up on a scale! :)

x
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're eating , but it sounds like you need to cut out the starches.....no breads, potatoes, rice, corn, etc. Focus on eating more veggies. Did it ever occur to you that you might be gaining muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you should take your measurements & see if your losing inches.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a couple of days ago and my mfp friends helped me through it, your body is going through changes that it isn't sure it wants stick to it and the weight will come off. Great control for not going to Wendys
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! It took me over two weeks for my scale to move when I first started! Don't give up!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Patience. Your body has to make a shift over from storing fat to burning fat. It takes some bodies longer than others.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Guess what? A lot of people who suddenly start exercising notice that their weight stays the SAME or even GOES UP for awhile because they're converting fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat!
    You can't "convert fat into muscle". Fat is fat, muscle is muscle. You can gain or lose both/either, but you can't convert one into the other. Nor do you gain muscle by walking on a treadmill. Nor do you gain muscle while in a caloric deficit (with the exception of some slight noob gains).

The reason people often see their weight go up slightly when they begin an exercise program is that the muscles retain glycogen, which bonds with water and causes fluid retention in the muscles. It's temporary and usually goes away in a few weeks, after the body adapts to the exercise program.
  • lolipopAngel
    Options
    yea all i do is the walking...and i guess im not eating the right things..my food diary is open now im still up for pointers
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I didn't lose weight right away. In fact I worked out for a month with a trainer and didn't see a change on the scale, but I dropped a size and my bodyfat percentage when down because I was swapping fat for muscle so your weight doesn't tell the whole story. Be patient with yourself and remember that you are just starting. Your muscles may be a retaining some extra fluid as they get used to doing all this new exercise, but that will go and one of these weeks you are going to see a big drop and be so happy and then you may have weeks when the scale does nothing. I've always lost a bunch of weight one week and then stalled out 2-3 weeks, then lost more weight. It was frustrating at first, but 80+ pounds later, I'm a happy girl. You'll get there so don't beat yourself up yet. Give it at least three months before you give up.