parents who make you eat

Options
Hey i dont want this to be come across as an excuse as a "lazy dieter" but i still live with my parents and they dont believe in healthy eating lifestyle and just buy loads of high calorie things. I do work and try to get in as many extra hours as possible but i rarely make anything more than £200 a month so i struggle to buy my own food- and keep it secret for long
I try to eat the healthier foods my folks buy but then they say "oh youll starve eat this, eat that" and literally dont stop hounding me til ive eaten it
I do excerise buy going walking nearly everyday (cant really run cause got a jippy knee due to a car accident) and doing toning and yoga excerises and go bellydancing when i can afford to
I was just wandering if anyone has any tips on how i can get better results with this kind of lifestyle. I have already tried telling my parents i really dont want anymore food but they dont listen. Sorry if this is really whingey just fed up of being fat and having no self confidence :(

Replies

• BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've noticed with my parents and my friends parents that they get really worried when they start seeing their children lose weight. There are a variety of reasons I'm sure but at the end of the day you have to be firm with them. Explain that you are watching your caloric intake and burn very closely and losing weight in a very healthy manner. This is you changing your entire lifestyle and they have to accept it, and good parents should be willing to help.

As for how to handle the high calorie foods, you have to exercise good portion control with the help of a food scale. Another option is to find out what healthy foods they actually do enjoy, for most people it is fruits, and encourage them to buy extra of that.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. It really does suck. :\

Have you visited the doctor lately? If you're overweight, a doctor will normally let you know, especially if you're at risk for health complications related to being overweight. I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager and, being Native American to boot, had a high risk of developing diabetes. She shared her concerns with my mother, who immediately fell into a health nut phase. Mind you, there weren't exactly many positive results (my mother is a difficult woman...), but maybe you'll have more luck if a professional can explain it to your parents in layman's terms?
  • Ashleyyyb93
    Options
    My parents don't make sure I eat. They don't know what I eat and when...so it's easy for me to slip.

If you HAVE to eat the high calorie foods....make sure you exercise and you should be okay :)
    When you have more money perhaps you can buy healthier foods. You are doing the right thing with an active lifestyle. Keep it up!! x x x
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are really doing the best with what you are given atm and kudos to you for that!

I would say keep track of your calories, it is possible to not eat the best of items and still lose weight as long as you are good with your calorie intake. You are walking which is good and will give you more wiggle room for eating and trying to buy healthy when you can. I mean it is what it is you are doing your best until you can change your situation (possibly moving out).

Even though they are your parents the biggest thing you can do is learn to say 'No Thank You' and actually stick to it. They might not be happy hearing it but eventually, the more you stick with it, they will realize that you are serious about changing how you eat and being healthier.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had these parents. That's why I and all three of my siblings are all over weight. But now I live with my mother again, 15 years later, to help her out, and its time for pay back. :) I buy the groceries, and now she eats what I do! OK maybe I'm evil, but I'm enjoying making her healthier.
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I, too, at 50, live with my parents (during the work week ~ my house is 3 hours away from my job and they are around the corner from it) and eat what my mother cooks. When I first started watching what I eat my mother would get really mad and just start yelling that she wasn't going to cook anymore cause I wasn't eating anything. She now pulls out the scale for me and lets me make my own plate up. I'm an adult now!! ha ha

I think you just need to talk to them and tell them that you want to watch what you eat and would appreciate it if you would get a little support from them. I have had years of sabotage from my mother and now she realizes that I do look better when I am thinner. When your parents see that you are making progress in a healthy way I think that they will ease up on you a little bit.

Good luck!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I don't know how your health system works, but here you can go talk to your doctor and mention that you'd like to lose some weight.

They will be excited. And will set you up with an appointment for a dietitian.

Take your parent(s) to the appointment with you. You probably won't learn a whole lot from the dietitian (I've heard the whole thing several times) - but it will be an authority telling you - in the presence of your parents - all about the various food groups, the effects of being overweight, etc.

Maybe this will help.
  • 0verdandi0
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I last went to the doctor about 6 or 7 months ago when i changed my contraceptive pill. he said i was a bit overweight then but nothing to case concern, think i was about 10 stone 8. Im now 12 stone 4 (im 5 foot 5) so i should maybe go back and see if my mum can come with me.
    really appreciate the tip, hadnt really thought about going back to the doctor.