Could This Be Low Blood Sugar??

Options
Yesterday I first ate around noon, about 500 calories (4 eggs, bread and cottage cheese) and then at 4 went to the gym and exercised at a pretty high intensity for two hours, an hour weight-lifting class (Bodypump) and an hour of cardio, including about 30 minutes of HIIT (high-intensity interval training) on the treamill. It was a great workout, I just felt strong and wanted to keep going (usually an hour and twenty minutes is the longest I exercise). I stayed hydrated throughout, drinking about 32 ounces of water, although I did sweat buckets, as usual. I felt exhausted by the end, but otherwise fine. According to my HRM, I burned over 1000 calories.

I came home, poured a glass of white wine, and started to cook an eggplant parmesean, feeling just great. I finished the glass of wine about the time I popped the eggplant parm in the oven. I still have not eaten anything since noon.

Suddenly, I start feeling strange. WEAK. Shaky, anxious. I just wanted to lay down and rest. I immediately thought of low blood sugar, so I ate some cottage cheese on a piece of toast, a prune, and then a little bit of sugar. I curled up on the couch for about an hour, maybe more, gradually feeling more normal. And, of course, looking up all my symptoms on my phone.

I just turned 35, I am in good shape, not overweight, and exercise 3-5 times per week, weights and cardio. I have no health issues. I ALWAYS exercise on an empty stomach, sometimes I won't eat all day and exercise in the evening and I have no problems with that. I did have one other episode like this back in November, I forgot all about it until last night. I exercised that day as well, but not sure if I ate afterwards or not.

So what do you guys think? Obviously, I am a little worried. I am thinking that exercising so hard, and then not eating anything in the hours after I was done, plus the wine (which drops your blood sugar, correct?) all added up to my blood sugar dropping too low. Maybe?? I'll go see a doctor soon, of course.

Replies

• jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Most likely was. Next time it happens try orange juice or a spoon of peanut butter and that should raise your level a bit faster. Just make sure you eat before that window of opportunity closes and you wind up dropping again.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    After that intense a workout and not eating since noon AND then "pouring" a glass of wine I would have expected that kind of physical reaction! Next time eat before you drink. Some protien before you pour next time would be a better option! Low blood sugar isn't something to play around with. OJ is a quick fix but this could have been prevented.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I've been researching more today and I'm almost sure that's what it was. Definitely could have been prevented. Lesson learned!!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before. Deffo low blood sugar! I found that a banana and a small handful of almonds does wonders in the middle of a long workout - just in case you do it again!

facebook.com/yummygalley

Dominique x
  • jereneyz
    jereneyz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same reaction too! It gets worse after drinking red wine. There was once I completely blacked out from it. You will start seeing black spots and hear buzzing around your ears. Then your body will basically shut off. After I came to, my blood pressure and blood sugar levels were apparently dangerously low. For me personally, it is not a good idea to consume any alcohol after a workout without having any food. But after a few of these fainting spells, I learnt how to recognize the signs. If you have any of these symptoms, immediately lie on the ground and elevate your legs using a chair and let blood flow back into your head. Do not get up or make any sudden moves until you feel completely fine again.