Green tea

Options
A few years back i had tried green tea after reading so many great things about it. I hated it!! After watching Dr. Oz and hearing him say how great it is i figured i would give it another try. So i made myself a cup of green tea. It wasn't as bad as i remembered it to be BUT is there any other way to drink it? Can i mix it with something else to still have the same metabolism boost?

Replies

• PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I put a bit of agave nectar in mine or drink it plain. I like Costco's Kirkland green tea, it's mild with a bit of the matcha powder on it.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Add ginger, lemon whatever you want.
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    I drink Pomegranate flavored green tea from Bigelow.... tastes like candy! I add a little honey to it :)
  • CombatGirl93
    CombatGirl93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I always add a sweetex or a bit of honey. Better still, I have it with a meal and it seems to taste a bit better :)!
  • petiteMom289
    Options
    I drink mine with a tsp of raw honey and sometimes lemon juice. I normally drink several cups a day. I like white tea, as well.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I hate Green Tea as well, but like yourself have heard so many good things from drinking it. I decided to take the easy route-2 days ago I bought Green tea Extract...you take 2 pills, twice a day (with a meal). I just recently started taking them, but its so much nicer not to have to force myself to drink something I simply do not enjoy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    A few years back i had tried green tea after reading so many great things about it. I hated it!! After watching Dr. Oz and hearing him say how great it is i figured i would give it another try. So i made myself a cup of green tea. It wasn't as bad as i remembered it to be BUT is there any other way to drink it? Can i mix it with something else to still have the same metabolism boost?

You should put lemon juice in it. Not only will it taste better but the citric acid in the lemon will help in the uptake of the beneficial polyphenols in the tea. :smile:
  • 1Bigtink
    1Bigtink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I put a bit of agave nectar in mine or drink it plain. I like Costco's Kirkland green tea, it's mild with a bit of the matcha powder on it.

Is this a powder? or a Bag?
  • sophielili92
    Options
    I buy green tea w/ peppermint :) Its so much better than green tea on its own!
  • charmorbadluck
    charmorbadluck Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink mine cold. what I do is put it in a jug ( if its a large jug do at least 4 bags) over night with cold water ( or hot if you want more flavor) and I put Stevia extract in it ( a all natural sweetener) Its refreshing! Sometimes I do green tea blends. Which is green tea and mango flavored or Chai green tea! Its amazing! You can find different blends at your local grocery store : ) Hope this helps!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love it without anything at all so it's no problem for me. You can get them flavoured.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work at a tea shop and it seems like the main reason that people don't like green tea is because they either make it with boiling water which is way too hot an ends up burning the tea leaf or they steep (let it sit in the water) for too long. Both of these things make the tea bitter and not at all enjoyable to drink. If your tea comes with brewing instructions I would suggest trying to make your tea one more time following those instructions closely. I set a timer on my phone so that I don't forget and leave the tea in for too long. (It seems anal I know lol but as soon as I started doing this I realized how good green tea could be) As a general rule you want to use water between 165 to 175 degrees and only steep the tea for 1 to 2 mins. (the exact time and the water temp. really depend on what kind of green tea you have).

I hope that helps! Also, are you using tea bags or loose leaf tea?

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
  • round_and_brown
    Options

You should put lemon juice in it. Not only will it taste better but the citric acid in the lemon will help in the uptake of the beneficial polyphenols in the tea. :smile:

I was going to say essentially the same thing. From what I've read, it boosts the effects of the tea's fat-burning compounds, or something to that effect. I'm actually enjoying a nice hot cup with lemon right now.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I buy Green Tea(Lipton) Superfruit... purple acai and blueberry.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I brew it in combination with a tea that I like.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Iced green tea tastes so much better to me.

Heavy on the ice!

A splash of lemonade adds a nice kick, too.
  • Hmsipes
    Hmsipes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea every day, and I mix in one tablespoon of all natural honey (I have a friend who knows a bee keeper!). Nothing else is necessary...it really sweetens it just enough. I find that it curbs my hunger as well as having other health benefits.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    You can by fancy green teas, "fancy" as in flavoured green teas. They have no calories at all even with flavours.

Check David's Tea, Teavana, Adiago's Tea or just look at flavoured green teas in the tea & coffee aisle in the grocery store. Tetley has blue green tea, pomegranate white tea, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get any metabolism boost. If you like green tea then drink it. If you don't then don't.

And if Dr. Oz endorses something, that's usually enough reason to steer way clear. But in this case, it's just green tea, which is a fine thing to drink. (Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while).
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work at a tea shop and it seems like the main reason that people don't like green tea is because they either make it with boiling water which is way too hot an ends up burning the tea leaf or they steep (let it sit in the water) for too long. Both of these things make the tea bitter and not at all enjoyable to drink. If your tea comes with brewing instructions I would suggest trying to make your tea one more time following those instructions closely. I set a timer on my phone so that I don't forget and leave the tea in for too long. (It seems anal I know lol but as soon as I started doing this I realized how good green tea could be) As a general rule you want to use water between 165 to 175 degrees and only steep the tea for 1 to 2 mins. (the exact time and the water temp. really depend on what kind of green tea you have).

I hope that helps! Also, are you using tea bags or loose leaf tea?

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

^^^^ This. I was about to post this but got beaten to it.