anybody over 50

Options
13»

Replies

• bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Simply stunning:)

I'm 52 and 8 days into this and love it. Left weight watchers a few months ago because of the money......I LOVE THIS WAY MORE!! Down 4 lbs so far and chipping away 30 more:)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    55 here and feel like I'm in my second childhood. A severe back injury a few years ago gave me my "come to God" moment and, once my back healed enough to work on fitness, I've been having a blast. While the pounds might disappear slower, that's no reason to not enjoy the journey. Find things you can do and like to do, get out and play, and eat well while getting fitter, stronger and more energetic.

Summer of 2011, I couldn't ride my bike more than about 5-6 miles without my knees screaming at me. Summer of 2012, I rode 200 miles in 2 days. It was a hoot. I start an Alpine scrambling class next week as stage 1 of my quest to conquer Mr. Rainier. I'm often the oldest person in my spinning, bootcamp or kickboxing classes; I could the mom of most of them, and I love it. Being surrounded by youth is catching. And lifting heavy has been great. I love feeling strong. Can now run a 5k when I used to not be able to run more than about 5 feet.

I guess what I'm saying is throw away the scale. That's right. Do not focus on the scale. I weigh about once a month at the Y and don't even own one.

Focus on fitness goals and find things you love to do and just do it. Push yourself a little more each week. At first it will feel horrible and you'll want to stick a fork in your eye. And then it will become fun. And your energy and enthusiasm will increase. And then you'll enjoy beating your personal best with a new personal best.

And then you'll start feeling like you're getting younger. Seriously. I feel younger at 55 than I did at 45.

If you eat at a deficit to lose fat but eat enough to fuel your body and do a good, consistent and progressive exercise plan, you will get slimmer. Trust me. It may take longer than it did at 20 or 30 or 40 but it will happen.

Oh, that 200-mile bike ride. There were many people doing it in their 60's and 70's. The oldest rider was 86 but, when he was 84, he started stopping at the half-way point and did a mere 100 miles in one day. At 86. My hero.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am a 61 year old body with a 20 year old brain. I think I am younger than I am and since joining MFP and exercising regularly I feel a lot lot younger than 61. I really used to feel my age. At 192lbs and only 5ft tall, my knees hurt, my back hurt and I took pain killers on a regular basis. Now I am off the pain killers. I walk miles and do aerobics 7 days a week. I feel so good. I have lost 33lbs up to now but still have a way to go but I do feel so much better

I haven't found it too bad losing the weight because I have some great MFP's and I couldn't have done it without them.

So go for it and feel (and act) younger. It is worth the effort.
  • Squidlyscott
    Options
    I am not a female but I am over 50. I am 54. My Surgon wants me to loos 100 pounds so he will give me a new knee. I am already bone on bone. He also says I am too young to get it replaced as it wears out after so long. Said take more pain meds. What an idiot.
    OH well good luck on your loosing however much you are targeting to loose. I am commited to at least loose 50 pounds. I think that would be a great weight to be again. I have been at the weight I am at now for several years. I feel fine but know I should loose some of this weight. I am much smaller than a lot of my friends so look small when around them.

:happy:
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and a southern girl from Kentucky. I lost 25 pounds last year, then gained it back. I have two grown children and 4 grandchildren. I am going to lose the weight again and this time I will throw out or donate all my "fat" clothes. That way if I start gaining it back, I won't have any clothes, so maybe I will keep it off. I want to lose 40 pounds and keep it off forever. Add me as a friend if you are interested.
  • WorkingonmeAliG
    WorkingonmeAliG Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 in December. I'm kind of excited about it. I am a trainer and coach who really needs accountability myself. Weight loss post 40 is a chore, at least has been for me. I am looking for accountability for certain!
  • DebbiesDay
    Options
    I just joined today and I'm hoping I can lose some weight that has been creeping on since I started menopause. Oh the joys of aging! LOL
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi all, some great success stories and motivation in the posts so far. I'm 51, quit smoking 4 years ago (yea!) but also lost my job and ended up gaining 60+ pounds. Joined MFP 27 days ago and am down 6 pounds (since last week, I'm only allowing myself to weigh weekly) and am enjoying reading about other people's experiences and getting advice from those further along the "getting healthy path". I'm not sure how to join or add a person or group yet (guidance please?????) but would join this one if I knew how!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I guess what I'm saying is throw away the scale. That's right. Do not focus on the scale. I weigh about once a month at the Y and don't even own one.

Focus on fitness goals and find things you love to do and just do it. Push yourself a little more each week. At first it will feel horrible and you'll want to stick a fork in your eye. And then it will become fun. And your energy and enthusiasm will increase. And then you'll enjoy beating your personal best with a new personal best.

I like the way you think! I turn 60 next week, but at 50 I joined a company that participates in a local corporate athletic competition. Wen they found I could run a mile without stopping to walk, do the 5K run/walk, swim 200 yards, etc. they were ecstatic because at that age level the points are there for the taking- so few women sign up that it's easy to place in the top 3 (because only 3 sign up). At 55 I got talked into sprint triathlons. I love them! A couple of years ago I got into one that was longer than my usual (1/2 mile swim, 12 miles on the bike, 5K walk/run) and kicked up my exercise a notch because I was paranoid it might be too much- it wasn't. I will say that it's just about my limit. Between the extra exercise and 5:2 fasting, I've lost 17 lbs. over the last 2 years and feel great. I'm now with a company that has a Wellness program and I get a discount of $2,000 a year on the health insurance premiums if I keep up healthy activities. They also participate in the corporate competition and I'm sure it helped in the interview to tell them how many events I could do for them! (It fights a few stereotypes, too.)

I dont' know how my 60s are going to be better than my 50s, but I'll sure do my best to make that happen.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    66 and still going up!!. If I can loose the weight then anyone can with a bit of hard work and dedication. Good luck eveyone. XX
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    53 here. just started mfp. how do you make those little bar thingees that show how much you have lost so far?
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 in July. Weigh 352. Would love to be 300 by my birthday... but realise we can only control the input, not the weight loss.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    At the top of a message board go to "Settings" and check the box. It will then post your progress. (I just learned this one myself) :smile:
  • loriconant
    loriconant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How about someone that just turned 50 - I'm there, if you know what I mean. It's harder to lose weight and most of the extra weight that I have is all in my midsection. I want to lose about 26 lbs and I will - but it will come off everywhere else first. And my friend just told me the other day - "you don't want to lose too much weight cuz' the fat kind of fills in the wrinkles". Seriously, that was not very encouraging at all. Add me as a friend - us mature girls need to stick together.
  • sonjawilliams53
    Options
    Just turned 54 on the 16th.I completely understand. I lost over 90 lbs in my early 30's. Just by eating healthier and excercising. While it wasn't easy then it is much harder now!! I have even more to lose now. I starting gaining back my weight after having a herniated disk in my back and then injuring my knee in my mid 40s. I have a very physical job. So I just quit doing anything when I wasn't working to "save" myself from injury. Now I realize I have just put more stress on my joints. So I am slowly getting my self to move more and walk on my time off. Eating healthy also. I know it will take a longer time this go round but I am setting short term as well as long term goals for myself. We CAN do this!!! :)
  • Cinny107
    Options
    b MI guess I'm a newbie. Yikes I'm 75!!!!! (How did that happen???). I'm torn between just doing this site and joining weight watchers.. Why can't I love exercise and why do I love eating?? I'm at a horrifying 167 lbs.at only 5.0 feet---ugh!
  • Hi I am 64 and started a detox program purchased on a princess cruise. After 6 weeks and no results I called my daughter who is loosing weight and asked her advise. She suggested this site. So just started using this site a few days ago and really love it. It seems so easy to watch what I am putting in versus the exercise. AND it shows me that the 30 pounds they told me I need to loose will be slow coming off. But I feel more confident that with MFP I can do it..
  • Cindy, I have been on and off weight watchers for years. I think their food is great and if you need a group to push you on weigh in days that is a great way to go. But I think this site will do the same for you. I exchanged a meal a day for a fruit slush drink. I use a bender and add melons/ berries and whatever I have in house. Along with a few ice cubes and 1 oz of plain yogurt. Really filling healthy and yummy.