Have you lost eating 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day, generally under, but I'm not really losing anything (lost 1lb in 10 days) I'm exercising too. Do I need to up my calories? (finding it difficult to go over 1200 unless I eat lots of the bad stuff), tend to only eat if I'm hungry. How do I increase my loss?
    Eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Avocado and eggs. Avocado and turkey. Fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbs. Peanut butter or any nut butter is good for you in small doses. Good fat is good for you. Avocados and olive oil and salmon are good for you. It doesn't have to be fritos and cupcakes to up the calories. Especially if you truly feel full. Add in some good fat without adding a lot of carby bulk.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No. I actually tried eating 1200 calories a day and just stayed the same for 4 weeks. Before I started trying to lose weight I'd been eating usually far less than 1200/day and hadn't lost anything either. I used to skip breakfast and lunch and only eat a late after work snack and dinner, or just the snack and no dinner...or even nothing at all. I wasn't doing it on purpose, just too busy at work during the day and too tired at night to bother.

I think I just gained weight because my body was confused, and whenever I went out to eat or ate in excess on weekends, I just packed on fat. I'm trying to eat about 1500-1600/day for a while until I stop gaining, then decrease it to 1400/day, then maybe to 1300/day. 1200/day is below my BMR and my TDEE is around 2000.

With my activity level 1200/day is too low.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Combining it with cardio 6/7 days a week, burning 600-900 calories per workout, and eating calories back... I lost 3kg and lost body fat and toned up, over 2/3month

Then STALLED !!

Now I'm eating lots moreee, and doing strength training! This is supposed to give me better results and get me out of my stall :)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For the past four months I've been at 1200 calories and lost 32 pounds. Going back up to 1400 though because eating that low definitely has an effect on my mood and attitude, as well as making me more headache prone for some reason.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do 1.2k networth, with one day a week being 2,000. Results are in the bar.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yep! 1200 isn't tough for me to stick too really. Lost 12lbs :D I eat my workout cals though too, so some days it's closer to 1500.
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options

BUMP... I couldn't remember this earlier... Thanks for re-posting this. This is what I was looking to do also. :happy:
  • pbuchman8
    Options
    I'm new to all of this (started yesterday) can someone explain what TDEE is?
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at about 1250 to 1300 if I'm not working out - when I start running though I eat more close to 1600.

How fast I lose depends on how serious I get about it - I can eat 1200 calories of crap or 1200 calories of good stuff. I can sit on butt or I can work out.

I've lost 22lbs and have 21 to go - but that has been over a long period of time.

I tend to have phases - I will get serious about losing the weight - lose 10 or so lbs and then take a break - but I manage to keep the weight off.

We all have to find what works for us.

The reason you hear 1200 calories all the time, is becasue that is "usually" the least amount of calories suggested - your body burns calories at rest and 1200 is about what is needed just to run regular body functions.
    For me if I eat under 1200 for and extended period of time - I do NOT lose weight. I've always lost by eating smaller meals more often, and keeping within my calorie ranges.

Good Luck to you!

Feel Free to add. :)
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat ~1200 calories a day and have lost almost 42lbs since Thanksgiving.

are you serious?

Absolutely. I started at 299lbs. I lost 31lbs in the first 30days. It been a pleasant surprise.

Any tips you can share? I really want to lose the 70 some lbs before June :) but not starving myself
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i eat 1200-1300 calories per day and have lost 116 pounds in a year
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options

That's amazing. I guess if everyone else can do it I can too.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    DO YOU EXTERCISE ANY LIKE GO TO THE GYM ?:happy:

tumblr_inline_mgcb2i9M0B1qdn14l.gif

i die!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

That's amazing. I guess if everyone else can do it I can too.

But it does NOT work for most like this. Sometimes it works for a few months and then the weightloss stops you get tired and no metabolism and you can stop losing even on 1,000-1,200.
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Yes I have stuck to my calorie daily limit since joining, never eating back what I burn and I have lost almost 16kg since September 2012 :flowerforyou:
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 14.5 pounds since 1/1 on 1200 cals.
  • nurse2photog
    Options
    Just started yesterday, so hard to limit to just 1200! Yesterday I was so hungry I ended up at 1500 but I'm going to do better today (unless I give into making the chocolate chip cookies I'm craving!) I want to loose about 25-30 pounds but I'm a huge foodie and have a hard time resisting good food & eating out!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This is not an endorsement, but I was able to lose 140 lbs in 7 months on 1200 -1300 calories a day. There's more to the story, but no surgery or special diets, just calorie counting.
  • maric5
    maric5 Posts: 2
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks on 1200 cals. Just started. Pretty pleased. But - I am a woman, average height, exercise very little and only want to lose 7 lbs. total. As the responses show - how someone's body reacts to a 1200 cal diet depends on a number of things - their gender, age, starting weight, height, metabolism, how much they exercise.
    But maybe - try this if/ when you can -- try eating most of your calories in the daytime - have a light meal at night. For me and others, the weight seems to come off faster that way, even if overall cals. the same.