Confused about weight loss!

Options
I have always thought from hearing it from other people and reading it that weight loss is calories in calories out. Now I read that weight loss is 25% exercise 75% diet. If its calories in calories out wouldn't diet and exercise be equal? Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this ! :)

Replies

• Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump...would love to hear the feedback too.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think anybody really knows the exact science! :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Um, actually, yes they do. It IS calories in v calories out. Exercise in only a MEANS to increase the calories OUT part of the equation. However, you don't HAVE to do exercise, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, over the long term, weight loss happens.
  • KateS211
    KateS211 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is absolutely calories in vs. calories out.

The 25% vs 75% that you are referring to just means that it is a lot easier to control your calories in vs calories out with diet than it is with exercise. And I would say those percentages are not a mathematical certainty...they are quite arbitrary.

bottom line- you can burn 300 calories by running for 30 minutes, or you can just not eat that extra slice of pizza and avoid the same number of calories.
  • adc31707
    adc31707 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to understand because by saying its only 25% exercise makes me think my exercising is not doing much.
  • KateS211
    KateS211 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Exercise is building muscle, burning calories and improving your cardiovascular health. That is not nothing.
    Exercise alone however will not make you lose weight. The most important part of losing weight is what you are eating.
  • adc31707
    adc31707 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks! Any other people want to put their input in?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It mostly means that what you eat should be your main focus, with exercise to supplement your progress. You want to improve your cardiovascular health and build lean muscle while you lose weight, but it isn't *mandatory*. It's definitely a good idea, though.

Basically, you don't have to be a slave to the gym, and it's not a huge deal if you miss a few days, but you DO have to be strict with your calories.

Does that make more sense?
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    I don't think anybody really knows the exact science! :)

I agree that calorie counting cannot possibly be an exact science for every person. but i do think if you follow some levels of calorie monitoring you will learn what works for you. It helps to put some form of standardized measurement on things!