Avid Equestrian looking for motivators

Options
I am 20 yr. old and horseback riding is my main form of exercise ( sustained a foot injury in high school and can't do a lot of walking/running for long periods) I do sit ups and push ups in addition to riding, and plan on swimming this week. Really would like to find others that are as serious about riding as I am, and who can give tips and encouragement on this journey.

Replies

• watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have been riding since Kindergarten. I don't ride as much as I use to, partially due to weight gain and balance and confidence going down the tube. I showed for years. I hope that as my weight goes away my confidence comes back and I feel better and more comfortable in the saddle.
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    I've been riding consistently for the past 5-6 yr but 8-9 overall. The hardest thing for me is going to shows and seeing "skinny minis" in really cute english or western clothes that I can't wear because of my size (I'm very curvy). Most clothing brands don't consider riders to be thick, which is very upsetting since I have to pay more to have custom show clothes made (mainly just my shirts).
    I finally found a pair of breeches that I can wear though and my western chaps need to be taken in (losing my thighs:happy: )

What breed of horses do you have? My boy is an American Quarter horse.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been riding since I was eight! I feel like once you are into horses, generally you're in it for life! :happy: I haven't been riding as much either, I have a TB mare that is now retired so I'm looking for another horse.. Hopefully with my weight loss having a lesson won't be as hard of a workout as it was before. All that posting really makes you work up a sweat! lol
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    I've been riding since I was eight! I feel like once you are into horses, generally you're in it for life! :happy: I haven't been riding as much either, I have a TB mare that is now retired so I'm looking for another horse.. Hopefully with my weight loss having a lesson won't be as hard of a workout as it was before. All that posting really makes you work up a sweat! lol

I know what you mean! I mostly ride western but I like english, and try to post as long as I can before my legs start to hurt.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic! :)

I've been riding since I was 12. I'm 23 now. I haven't ridden since April, since I graduated from college (and thus am not on he equestrian team any more) and lessons are just too expensive. It's killing me! I have never gone this long without riding before. Fortunately I just got a job, so hopefully I can find a somewhat affordable place to take lessons
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've been riding since high school, but tapered off with kids and weight gain. I've got a an American quarterhorse (paint) who is very patient with me.

Let's start a group! It would be great to have friends who have the same riding passion as well as wanting to get healthy!

What do you say?

Edit: Oh wait! There are several groups already! (should have checked, lol!)
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    3EF4F9E4-1B48-48F3-AB00-4AEC92D1552A-3371-000002E67F6E0B10.jpg

That is one thing I'm super serious about is my horses...

I have a really nice black mare who I run barrels on..I also do pretty much everything else on her.

I have a 7 year old mare who I bought very green broke three months ago and she is on her way to becoming my new barrel horse this fall.

Their health is super important to me!

I started this weight loss journey because of this picture. I was 143 pounds in this picture and being that heavy I couldn't get up out of the saddle enough to really jockey my horse and I was loosing my balance badly....

Your welcome to add me :D
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I have not been on in months, so I thought I would catch you guys up on what has been happening over those few months. Unfortunately I have not been able to ride since the first week of July (conflict on lease) so I have had to leave the stable and ultimately my horse over it. I have been getting back into walking a mile with working up to running a least a quarter of it, so far it has been going really well.
    Hope to hear how you all have been doing over the summer!