Sore muscles!

Options
so here goes, i started this site in december 2012, i am roughly 5ft 6 when i first started i weighed a huge 92kg!
i have been a bigger girl my whole life but now i have taken it by both hands and im ready to lose some weight and reach my goal of 70kg!
so heres my problem ive been walking for atleast 40-60 minutes every morning and following my calories carefully, im feeling really good about myself having dropped roughly 5 kilos! but my legs and back are aching soo much to the point where i limp around for the rest of the day, i work in a deli so being able to kove is so important!
will it become easier and less painful over time ? is there a way i can fix it? or will i be stuck with my aches and pains?
im new to this site so any helpful hints and tips regarding weightloss and excersise would be really appreciated!

if it has anything to do with it my breasts are VERY large and i find it hard to walk after 60 minutes!
i would reslly love any advice!

Replies

• AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Lift heavy weights 3x a week and some cardio on your inbetween days. (Rest in between lifting is essential). If you are sore, drink a protein shake, I swear by it especially after a workout. Its helped me tremendously.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

That link will show you how to set up your calories to make sure you are eating enough and it takes the "eating back exercise calories" out of the equation to make it simpler.

Simply put, read that link and lift heavy! Your results will be fantastic! :)
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    make sure you are walking in some good walking shoes...
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    It's not really advice... but what I think about? Is this...

tumblr_lyha1hB1701r62123o1_500.jpg
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    great job!!!

if you are on your feet a ton plus adding in walking my guess is you might need to evaluate the quality of your shoes first and make sure they are supportive enough for the extra wear and tear you put on your shoes and body :)

Also if you are have large bust make sure you have proper support in that area as well so you are balancing out those issues. maybe get measured and make sure you are wearing the proper size and support for the work out you do, that may help the back pain.

maybe adding in a core workout to get support

try doing an epson salt soak to loosen and relax those muscles :)
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I'm not a heavy fitness person but I would make sure to allow a break in between. I've always heard its good to alternate so one day you might focus on cardio and another on strength. You might focus on legs one day and arms the next to give your legs a break and time to heal.

I think it does get easier as your body adjusts but then you have to start pushing yourself harder.

As for pain, as time goes by it seems to get less painful. I believe in recovery drinks and I always have a cup of chocolate milk after a workout and I believe it helps.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Hm maybe try some body weight exercises that target back/core and shoulder strength like planks etc. Also good stretching after a run helps me with leg stiffness/soreness.Do you have good shoes? And if you stick to the walking it will become easier and less painful, keep at it!

Edit: Soreness after a workout doesnt always=good.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Make sure you take rest days, that's when your body rebuilds. Also make sure you have good shoes and a good bra, they can make a difference. Your muscles should adapt and begin to be less sore as you progress. I've been exercising for about 20 years..*gasp* I get sore when I change things up or dont' take breaks.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, maybe do 40-60 minutes every other day until your body adjusts. Or do a shorter walk every day for a couple of weeks.

Make sure you are wearing good walking shoes (you might consider going to your local running/athletic store and getting fitted).
    Make sure you have a really supportive bra (or two bras) if you have a larger chest.
    Hydrate!
    Epsom salt baths are fabulous and really help with sore muscles.
    Stretch after you walk.

It will get easier.
  • 1994baileyboo
    Options
    thank you all so much!
    i will be looking into some good running/ walking shoes within the week!
    id love a bath but where i live at the moment i am unable to have a bath because i live in the country!

i am currently saving up for a few new bras or even a sports bra but where i live its nearly 250$ for a bra my size!
    i will take it slow and keep building up my pace!
    thank you all so much for your kind words of wisdom!
  • RArciniega
    Options
    Would suggest finding a running store that can test how you walk. That way you can find a shoe that not only fits your feet but made to support the way you walk. Also support, support, support for bra it will make a huge difference on your back. I have larger breasts and it will help.
  • MPilotz
    MPilotz Posts: 10
    Options
    do a thorough stretch before and after the workout to warm up/cool down you muscles (any where from 5-20 minutes). if you are working out properly you should feel sore but should still be able to function
  • 1994baileyboo
    Options
    It's not really advice... but what I think about? Is this...

tumblr_lyha1hB1701r62123o1_500.jpg

^^ i love this!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    so here goes, i started this site in december 2012, i am roughly 5ft 6 when i first started i weighed a huge 92kg!
    i have been a bigger girl my whole life but now i have taken it by both hands and im ready to lose some weight and reach my goal of 70kg!
    so heres my problem ive been walking for atleast 40-60 minutes every morning and following my calories carefully, im feeling really good about myself having dropped roughly 5 kilos! but my legs and back are aching soo much to the point where i limp around for the rest of the day, i work in a deli so being able to kove is so important!
    will it become easier and less painful over time ? is there a way i can fix it? or will i be stuck with my aches and pains?
    im new to this site so any helpful hints and tips regarding weightloss and excersise would be really appreciated!

if it has anything to do with it my breasts are VERY large and i find it hard to walk after 60 minutes!
    i would reslly love any advice!

Keep in mind, muscle soreness is likely caused by the micro tears in the muscle fibers as well as a build up of lactic acid. There is some suggestion that stretching and Glutamine supplements directly after exercise will help alleviate this issue. Sadly, there are also studies that say Glutamine does not help ward off post workout soreness. I take Glutamine post workout and I think it helps me (at least I have convinced myself that it has helped). As you continue working out, the level of soreness you are talking about will lessen. Remember, sore is okay...pain means you are going a bit to hard and should ease back the intensity...
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    i am currently saving up for a few new bras or even a sports bra but where i live its nearly 250$ for a bra my size!

I started out as a 42DDD and just wore two bras (one underwire, one not) until I lost enough to fit into a regular sports bra (which I still wear OVER an underwire bra anyway since I've had enough gravity drag to repair as it is!).

Good luck and listen to your body!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I know someone mentioned good walking shoes. Not sure if anyone mentioned a good sports bra that holds those suckers in place..? I think that might help also. I have big boobs too and actually when I work out, i wear my reg bra+my sports bra on top of it. Make sure you are stretching and drinking a lot of water.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You said you can't soak in a bath, but a really hot shower or heating pad will help too. I would say if you're just starting out, 60 minutes is a bit much. Maybe cut that in half till you give your body time to adjust.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching at the end of your walk?