Is Cardio REALLY Necessary for Fat Loss?

Options
Let me begin by saying that I am a firm believer in exercising however I rather lift weights and do strength workouts than cardio type workouts. When I lift weights I feel that my heart rate increases...so that should equal cardio?!?!! Right? I do the cardio because I've heard just like many others that you need it for fat loss. I'm not to sure about that...perhaps I should do some research on it. I do know that my female cousin lost about 60lbs just weight lifting and eating right. Since I actually enjoy strength training I think I'm going to up that to 3-4 times/week and focus on cardio for 2 days/week.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone lost weight with just strength training? I'm very curious about this.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Exercise is for fitness and that fitness can be whatever you want it to be. If you want cardio fitness you'll need to do something like running, if you want muscular fitness then do lifting.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Exercise is for fitness and that fitness can be whatever you want it to be. If you want cardio fitness you'll need to do something like running, if you want muscular fitness then do lifting.

Truth. You don't actually *have* to exercise if you goal is simply weight loss. Your diet is of upmost importance. For fitness, and to minimize muscle loss, it's optimal to do both cardio and strength training.
  • Brendajo510
    Options

Truth. You don't actually *have* to exercise if you goal is simply weight loss. Your diet is of upmost importance. For fitness, and to minimize muscle loss, it's optimal to do both cardio and strength training.

I agree. Though, I have heard that HRM aren't as accurate when it comes to calories burned for weight lifting. Just something to think about.
  • JHahn7837
    JHahn7837 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree that what you eat is the key for weight loss. Exercise of any kind can only help.
  • JHahn7837
    JHahn7837 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Nope it's not REALLY necessary or really necessary.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's funny found your post...the ladies on Eat More 2 Weigh Less posted a link to this article written by the wife of the author of "New Rules of Weight Lifiting"
    It's about how she shifted from weight lifting to training for a triathalon and got "soft" and gaind fat...lost muscle. It is very interesting. Give it a read
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    no, not necessary, but it certainly helps a lot! :)
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    nope!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

QFT.

What does QFT mean?
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    From the multitude of posts I've read and all the success stories I've seen your plan sounds good. A lot of people lose weight (and muscle) by lots of cardio and a calorie deficit but end up skinny fat. For a sleek toned body you want to lift weights to retain/build any possible muscle mass throughout the process.

The more you enjoy doing something the more likely you are to stick to it too! Good luck on your journey.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You mean I'm walking 16 miles/week for NOTHING?!?! In the COLD?? lol ;)
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    For me, cardio is more for a healthier heart than for weight loss.
  • icjason
    icjason Posts: 27 Member
    Options

QFT.

What does QFT mean?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=urban+dictionary+qft

:-P
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by just doing weights. I don't think a little cardio would hurt though. Why don't you try doing HIIT? It's basically weight training with short cardio bursts.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I am not including cardio in this cut, just weights five days a week (usual routine) and eating 250 calories below my TDEE. My progress is fine as I am about 5 lbs away from my goal.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by just doing weights. I don't think a little cardio would hurt though. Why don't you try doing HIIT? It's basically weight training with short cardio bursts.

^^^THIS! HIIT actually burns more cals anyways...and burns it in the right way so you can keep your lean sexy muscles. And the more muscle you have the more fat your burn ;)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no it not...

for me to get shredded, yes it is.

i love food too much.
  • fitnwhole
    fitnwhole Posts: 227
    Options
    Thanks for the link and responses! :heart: