5x5 and Arthritis

Options
I'm looking for some help. I have arthritis in my upper back. I've been doing 5x5 for a few weeks now and find that I cannot do military press or dead lifts without making my back flare up. Its fine with bench, squats, and rows. I'm looking for any ideas for any compound lifts that I could add? I've tried going really light weight but it doesn't make a difference in pain. I'm seeing good gains with what I'm doing but I think I'm cheating my results by not being able to do deadlifts or military press.

Thanks

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question simultaneously. LOL!

BUMP!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I have it in my knees, my back, my neck, my hips, and my shoulders. The worst trouble I have is in my knees.

I'm bumping again hoping someone has some suggestions.
  • kyle2119
    kyle2119 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Luckily mine is only in my upper back and it's only considered minor at this point.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Well mine started with a severe knee sprain in my late twenties. I compensated my weight for a long time and that is how it began to move into other joints.

Glucosamine helps, but I'm really bad about taking it. I've been lifting for a year and at first I couldn't do lunges or squats, but now I can. I started out strengthening my knees through body weight exercises and then increased slowly to add weight into the program.

I don't know anything about your lifting program, but that's the best advice I can offer. Maybe someone will see your post overnight and offer some better advice.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Talk to your rheumatologist and get some advice. Get a physio to write you up a program and/or modify the lifts you're struggling with. I have RA and every joint is affected. The best advice I ever heeded was "if it makes you flare, stop. It's doing you more harm than good".

ETA:
    Glucosamine only helps certain types of arthritis. It does nothing for me.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You may want to try treating with ibuprofen before and ice after to help as an anti-inflammatory. A doctor may be able to prescribe something stronger as well. My left shoulder is partially frozen so I have been using a machine for shoulder presses until I build some more strength and range of motion however this doesn't offer the same benefits of free weights in terms of activating all the same muscles for stabilization of the weight. I am also on a daily stretching routine for my shoulder to increase range of motion and working to increase my core strength.

Good luck!
  • leojoshrun
    Options
    Try to consult Rheumatologist. They can suggest with perfection. As per my knowledge Glucosamine with Chondroint works fine.
    Or Vitamin D can make difference.

Leo