Weight has been exactly the same for months

Options
So, last march I started losing weight and generally, everything has been fine, but now I'm stuck at 14 stone. I've had it go a lot lower, up to around 13.9, but now it just seems to stick on 14st every day, and maybe slightly go up by one or two pounds. I joined a gym, which I've got to twice now, but still nothing. My general goal is to lose two more stone by July, but after this plateau that started around November, I've been such discouraged.

Could this because I eat a lot of the same foods everyday? Sandwich in the morning, cereal bars, etc. I also thought it might be water weight, but I'm not really sure.

Replies

• Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    it could be, they say your body gets used to eating the same foods and that you need to shake it up a bit. Maybe do a fresh review of what you eat, ie, maybe re-check some of your ingredients and the cals in them to make sure they haven't changed or that you haven't accidentally forgotten about some.. ie, don't forget to count oil when you cook and the milk you take in tea and coffee etc. If you're counting everything correctly and exercise doesn't work, maybe lower your calorie intake a little to see if that makes a difference?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking measurements in addition to weight? Or tracking body fat percentage? You might see results in those areas even when the scale makes it appear your results have stopped. Also, 2 visits to the gym is not going to be enough to expect to see weight loss, try going 3-5 times a week for several weeks to see results.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    one look at what you are eating.....could be too much...cereal bars....etc could have alot of added fat and or sugar. Two going to the gym twice won't make a difference....got to go more often and drink lots of water. Just my two cents worth.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Sorry about the plateau- how frustrating! I am wondering if your calorie intake goal has adjusted with your weight loss. Mine is set to recalculate every 10 lbs, but it only updated when I log my weight on my phone. For some reason it did not update if I was only logging on a pc. I don't think eating the same thing each day would cause a plateau, though it certainly isn't a good idea for nutrition. Best of luck to you!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen a lot of times. It could depend on a lot of things.
    Are you reducing your calories enough? What you cut down to when you were heavier might not be enough now you are smaller.
    It could be that you have been on a diet for too long and your body is struggling to shift fat, holding on to it (survival mode).

I would:
    Check that you aren't eating too many calories
    Check that you aren't cheating even a little, and get everything down (no hidden calories)
    You might want to cycle calories or carbs
    Take a break for the diet for 3 weeks and resume.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    one look at what you are eating.....could be too much...cereal bars....etc could have alot of added fat and or sugar. Two going to the gym twice won't make a difference....got to go more often and drink lots of water. Just my two cents worth.

You don't have to go to the gym to lose weight, and eating the same foods over and over again aren't a problem (I batch cook and then eat the same thing for the next month or so). The kinds of foods you eat may affect how hungry you are and how healthy you are, but for weight loss calories in < calories out = win.

As strange as it sounds, you may not be eating enough. I didn't see you mention how much you were eating, but under-eating for long periods of time can lead to very long stalls and loss of appetite (due to hormone imbalance). I'd read through some of the following sites and calculate your BMR and TDEE and make sure you're at least your BMR and under your TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

ETA: As others have said, make sure you are accurately logging. You may be shooting yourself in the foot if you are eyeballing things and being to generous when you serve yourself. Eating more isn't always the answer (especially if you are already eating more than you think).
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking measurements in addition to weight? Or tracking body fat percentage? You might see results in those areas even when the scale makes it appear your results have stopped. Also, 2 visits to the gym is not going to be enough to expect to see weight loss, try going 3-5 times a week for several weeks to see results.

this ^^^

My scale moves SUPER SLOW, but I saw a change in the way my thighs look in a month.
  • LeturLefr
    Options

this ^^^

My scale moves SUPER SLOW, but I saw a change in the way my thighs look in a month.

Ah, I'm not. Just weight on the scales at home, every morning. How would I track body fat percentage?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

this ^^^

Ah, I'm not. Just weight on the scales at home, every morning. How would I track body fat percentage?

you could figure your BF% on this website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

taking pictures is a good way too.

this is my leg december 9th.
    8386370405_6ca952422b_m.jpg
    IMG00877-20121209-0835 (2) by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is the same leg on january 12th

8386370709_cf5e2e4d6a_m.jpg
    20130112_144909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

the lighting is a little different, but even taking that into account...it looks slimmer to me