Won Tons

Options
So last week I saw a topic on using won tons. I thought I would try and make ravioli out of them but when I put all my ingredients in the recipe list it came out to be like 600 calories!! I thought I would use ground chicken sausage, ricotta cheese and spaghetti sauce. Anyone have some ideas to share on how to get this calorie count down? I was doing this with 8 wrappers... maybe thats too many? I'm just trying to keep dinner interesting while still staying in my calorie goal... UGH its hard.

Replies

• hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd take out the meat and just make a spinach and cheese ravioli.
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A low fat cream cheese instead of ricotta, and some chopped fresh tomato and herbs instead of pasta sauce?
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I found a fat free ricotta cheese that's pretty good....my tip on it is to add a little bit of soy/almond/whateve milk to thin it out, makes it look/feel more like real ricotta...cut way way down on fat in my eggplant lasagna....(not at home to check but it was either hood or wegmans if you have those brands..)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I made them relatively low cal by using the small wonton wrappers and filling them with a bit of spinach and low cal ricotta cheese (you can also use cream cheese).

With the small won tons I just put a bit of filling in the middle and folded them in half to form a triangle.. They were only a few calories a piece. I topped them with a bit of sauce that had extra chopped tomatos, green peppers and onions in it.
  • Ritter714
    Options
    Wow! All good suggestions... I will have to try and tweak. I was adding the chicken sausage for the protein. My trainer is insisting on protein in every meal I eat. Thank you guys!!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Wow! All good suggestions... I will have to try and tweak. I was adding the chicken sausage for the protein. My trainer is insisting on protein in every meal I eat. Thank you guys!!

You get protein in the cheese... maybe not a ton.

You could also try switching out the cheese (or say half of it) for cottage cheese. I have done that before (I just blended the cottage cheese quickly before so it was smoother). Adds more protein to the meal without the added calories of the meat.
  • Ritter714
    Options
    I forgot about cottage cheese!!!!
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What about making like a crab rangoon with the won ton wrappers? Has anyone tried it? I havent checked but is imitation crabmeat low in calories?